Pages:
Author

Topic: Why do we talk about Laszlos pizza but not the 1000 BTC poker tournament ? - page 2. (Read 534 times)

legendary
Activity: 4186
Merit: 4385
because people treated it like a "bottletop" game,,
like hal accepting the first ever tx from satoshi..
 after hal-satoshi tx .. no tx/games/bottletop swaps seemed as important..

but then.. a real deal for real pizza .. that reset the bar to a higher milestone of importance than hals tx from satoshi

after all, you remember your first love/sexual experience.. but after a few meaningless bodily fluid exchanges.. you dont realy treat a meaningless game of strip poker with a pole dancer as something special

and these days.. its bettr to spend time walking into retailers in your town and get them to adopt bitcoin.. rather than find historic events to hope you can energise adoption with stories of the good old days
legendary
Activity: 1918
Merit: 1012
★Nitrogensports.eu★
The sale of the pizza was a real world transaction everybody can relate to. Not many people across the world can relate to an anonymous poker competition. Plus, the offer was open to everybody across the world. Somebody took up the opportunity and became rich. That could be one reason why it is still talked about today.
legendary
Activity: 2268
Merit: 18507
The big question I have is how the pot was funded with 1,200BTC when only 4 players bought into the tournament. The buy in was listed at 55BTC...so where did the extra ~1000BTC come from to fund the payouts?

I suspect shenanigans.

I will be playing and hosting the game and providing the 1000 Bitcoin added prize pool. You are trying to win my Bitcoins ! Cheesy
Activity: 1106
Merit: 637
Well, with only 4 people joining the tournament it's understandable why it's been forgotten.

The big question I have is how the pot was funded with 1,200BTC when only 4 players bought into the tournament. The buy in was listed at 55BTC...so where did the extra ~1000BTC come from to fund the payouts?

I suspect shenanigans.
legendary
Activity: 2268
Merit: 18507
Nice find. At current prices, first place earned about $4.5 million dollars, and at peak prices back in December the first prize was worth about $11.4 million. This means that this tiny 4 player bitcoin poker tournament had more prize money than the World Series of Poker (first prize this year of $8.8 million).
legendary
Activity: 1274
Merit: 1924
฿ear ride on the rainbow slide
Going over old topics I found this fascinating post: The Worlds First Sudo-Anonymous Poker Tournament ?
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/the-worlds-first-sudo-anonymous-poker-tournament-80

I enjoy playing online poker ( Texas Holdem ) and so I've decided to run a tournament with Bitcoins ! No 'real' money will change hands. We are playing for electric bottle tops only. Grin I don't encourage gambling and this will probably be a 'one-off' event for fun. Poker is a skill game anyway, like chess Grin

Introducing...

The 1st ( and only ? ) Bitcoin Forum - Online Poker Challenge Event.

" The Worlds First Sudo-Anonymous Poker Tournament ? "

A Password Protected - Private Game using the Free Open Source - PokerTH - http://www.pokerth.net/

Sat. 20th March 2010 at 3pm ET

50 Bitcoins + 5 Bitcoins Buyin | 1000 Bitcoins added to the Prize pool | 10-Max Table

10,000 Starting Chips, 10 Starting Blinds, Blinds will double every 10 hands !

4 places will be paid. 1st 750 Bitcoins, 2nd 375 Bitcoins, 3rd 250 Bitcoins, 4th 125 Bitcoins ( based on 10 players )

I will be playing and hosting the game and providing the 1000 Bitcoin added prize pool. You are trying to win my Bitcoins ! Cheesy

So, we need another 9 forum members to participate. Entries will be on a first come, first served basis.

Please PM me with your Bitcoin address and a random 'username'. I will then PM you my Bitcoin address to send the 55 Bitcoin entry fee, you will then receive the password for the game lobby.

If a player is a 'no show' or their are less than 5 players, actual players and / or opponents will be 'made up' of computer opponents. Any Bitcoin prize that a 'computer' player should win will be equally divided by the number of actual registered players and equally returned to each participant.

Please download the free pokerTH software to get used to the client. You can also practice against the computer. We will use the 'default' IRC / server and Lobby. You can work out how to connect it through Tor if you want to remain anonymous.

Bitcoin.org or the Bitcube will be advertised in the game lobby whilst we are playing !  Cool

If their is not enough interest or participants I will consider canceling or changing the date / time.

Thank you.

BitcoinFX.

The "Worlds First Sudo-Anonymous Online Poker Tourament" was played with much success. Everyone expressed their enjoyment and we discussed the possibility of holding further event(s) A big thank you to those who took part and to those who expressed interest, but were not able to participate.

Congratulations to our winner dwdollar !!!

Total Prize Pool 1200 bitcoins (4 'real' players)

1st - dwdollar - 600 BTC

2nd - theymos - 325 BTC

3rd - BitcoinFX - 175 BTC

4th - Computer6

5th - Computer5

6th - Computer3

7th - Computer2

8th - DannyM - 100 BTC

9th - Computer4

10th - Computer1

As there were only 4 'real' players and 3 of us finished in the top 3, we agreed that instead of doing a 4 way split on the 4th place prize (won by Computer6), that DannyM should receive the entire 4th place prize.

It was a very unlucky hand DannyM Wink

dwdollar was 'un-stopable' for most of the Tourney after taking out 3 computer players in one hand and gaining a monster chip lead.

RIVER [board cards 2h,Kh,Jd,Tc,9h]
Computer3 has [ 6d,Kd] - One Pair, Kings
Computer5 has [ 8d,Js] - One Pair, Jacks
Computer6 has [ Td,Jc] - Two Pairs, Jacks and Tens
dwdollar has [ Jh,Ks] - Two Pairs, Kings and Jacks

dwdollar wins $80150 <<<
Computer3 sits out
Computer5 sits out
Computer6 sits out

I'm about to send out the Bitcoin 'winnings', so please confirm that you have received them.

Cool

Not bad - a tournament where you double your BTC - even if you are the last "live" player ! What is 100 BTC worth now ?

I love this quote: "No 'real' money will change hands. We are playing for electric bottle tops only". - BitcoinFX (2010)

Pages:
Jump to: