Pages:
Author

Topic: Why Do You Play Poker By Yourself? - page 2. (Read 1426 times)

legendary
Activity: 812
Merit: 1000
July 03, 2015, 03:25:10 AM

Haha pretty insane didnt see that yet.  I notice its in limit betting games not NL although i think some short stacker bots can be made to work in low stakes NL. 

Limit holdem and pot limit games are going to suffer as AI power grows.
legendary
Activity: 2604
Merit: 1036
legendary
Activity: 812
July 03, 2015, 02:58:38 AM
Okay, maybe not "by yourself" but what's the point of hanging at a poker site with 12 other players?  I've been to several online poker sites and I see just a handful of people... not even enough to field regular tables with more than 3 or 4 people.  It would be soooo much better if people would consolidate to fewer poker sites.  There just isn't the player base right now to play so many poker sites. 

Some people like to play heads up and short handed, if there are a few decent fish who show up at these non popular sites occasionally then it can be worth it.  If the less popular or new sites have advertised and attracted players there is really nothing much to do.  Competition is good, in fiat poker pokerstars took a big giant shit over the games making them tight and non action, because they have such a big share of the market.
Activity: 1120
Merit: 554
July 03, 2015, 02:58:10 AM
Okay, maybe not "by yourself" but what's the point of hanging at a poker site with 12 other players?  I've been to several online poker sites and I see just a handful of people... not even enough to field regular tables with more than 3 or 4 people.  It would be soooo much better if people would consolidate to fewer poker sites.  There just isn't the player base right now to play so many poker sites.  

This is a good question. I've played at the busier sites - SWC, Betcoin - and also several of the smaller sites. A couple years back I had a positive experience at Satoshi Poker ... back when it was basically just SWC and tiny SP. What I liked about playing SP, and now some of the smaller sites, is that the mix of players is different. For example at the bigger sites at any given full-ring table I'm competing against several players that I have no history on. I don't use hand analysis software, and I don't multi-table like some autistic automaton - I like to play real poker against a real person. (Yeah, online game is not for me, that for another time.) So, often at the bigger sites I just feel at a disadvantage. Its not my best game. At the smaller sites I'm able to level the playing field a bit because the players showing up at these sites are less dedicated to the online grind. Moreover given that I don't use software to keep track of hand histories it is easier for me to internalize a history on the much smaller field of opponents.

So for example at Luckyflops right now I know that Jorjitofish and Fishkiller can always be found at the cash tables, and I've now played them enough that I can sit down and 'play the man' as opposed to playing some multi-tabling or multi-accounting bot. Actually at LF there are roughly about two dozen characters that show up somewhat regularly. I am a home-game cash player and when I play online I appreciate seeing familiar 'faces' at the table.

A second reason is that the newer sites tend to run more aggressive promotions (?), and often the promotions are run inconsistently, so that allows me to 'corner the market' from time to time. Anyway, there are pros and cons to playing both large, well-trafficked sites, and the smaller start-ups. I think both have their advantages and disadvantages.
legendary
Activity: 954
July 03, 2015, 02:38:29 AM
Having too many poker sites doesn't seem to be the problem. There are more than 6-7 poker sites right now , but none of them have cash games going on. People just play some tournies and mostly freerolls on the site , so even if only 1 or 2 sites were to exist , it wouldn't mean the players playing would considerably increase . There isn't any solution to this however unless half of all those sites shutdown due to lack of players and revenue. 
legendary
Activity: 2436
Merit: 1804
guess who's back
July 03, 2015, 02:16:25 AM
Okay, maybe not "by yourself" but what's the point of hanging at a poker site with 12 other players?  I've been to several online poker sites and I see just a handful of people... not even enough to field regular tables with more than 3 or 4 people.  It would be soooo much better if people would consolidate to fewer poker sites.  There just isn't the player base right now to play so many poker sites. 

yes bitcoin poker sites are suffering of the lack of players
it's really hard to find 4 full tables in bitcoin sites , and there is a good chance that you would waste your time just waiting players
but for me I play fiat sites that use bitcoins , of course it would be much better if there is a big btc site but this is unavailable atm
Activity: 308
Merit: 251
July 03, 2015, 02:12:27 AM
The big will become bigger & the small will become smaller, this happens for poker sites too.
Just play at poker site where there are many players Roll Eyes
Activity: 882
Exhausted
July 03, 2015, 02:10:14 AM

True, but I believe the market will do the job itself.
Sites have been giving out bonus or running free-rolls to attract players. Some of them will just quit after failing to do so, while the remaining ones will have a larger and larger user base.
legendary
Activity: 2296
Merit: 1031
July 03, 2015, 01:44:27 AM
Pages:
Jump to: