Pages:
Author

Topic: why do you still support Bitcoin when it's technology is clearly inferior? - page 2. (Read 257 times)

legendary
Activity: 4270
Merit: 4534
In recent months, after the December price record growth, bitcoin has really lost its popularity due to the accumulated deficiencies in it, and the number of its daily transactions has dropped from 400,000 to 200,000. However, on February 26, a new version of Bitcoin 0.16.0 was released, which differs from the previous full support for SegWit, which solves the problem of low scalability of bitcoin by compressing the volume of each transaction. As a result, all the existing shortcomings of bitcoin should soon be eliminated. Therefore, bitcoin can reach the forecasted rate of $ 30,000 this year.

blah blah blah.. hyping something just to talk about a price you hope for... (facepalm)
segwit doesnt guarantee scaling growth of doubling/quadrupling

firstly it requires EVERYONE using segwit addresses to get double+ scaling.. yet just a legacy block growth would have done it without requiring people to move funds to new address designs.

secondly, spammers can continue using legacy addresses and fill a block, thus not causing the scaling hope that you hope for..
(ELI-5) think of it like a bus, usually families buy a ticket per person one for the child(txdata) and one for the parent(signature/witness proof txdata is what it is).. taking up multiple bus seats. segwit just allows the parent to ride the bus for free if the child buys a ticket and takes a seat.
problem is if legacy families all buy the seats theres no room for segwit families.. thus segwit isnt a guaranteed fix

thirdly, the 'discount' for segwit transactions is not permanent/fixed. pools could decide to not discount segwit tx's very easily
Activity: 252
Merit: 102
The transaction fee is really big problem with Bitcoin for its adoption and popularity. I am in hope that technology upgradation will bring the solution for transaction problem. Even than Bitcoin is the hero of crypto market.
legendary
Activity: 1666
Merit: 1285
Flying Hellfish is a Commie
Because you're wrong, the technology behind Bitcoin isn't inferior as it can be changed at any point if the miners are to agree to change it. Bitcoin could be ever changing to adapat to a different market, and at the moment it doesn't need to change. We've seen some issues no doubt, but this is from people spamming the shit out of the network (roger ver and co) or failing to be competent with the network (coinbase and batching) These people inflate the price of fees and make Bitcoin look bad, though it doesn't need to be like this.

I fully still support bitcoin.
Activity: 658
Merit: 102
In recent months, after the December price record growth, bitcoin has really lost its popularity due to the accumulated deficiencies in it, and the number of its daily transactions has dropped from 400,000 to 200,000. However, on February 26, a new version of Bitcoin 0.16.0 was released, which differs from the previous full support for SegWit, which solves the problem of low scalability of bitcoin by compressing the volume of each transaction. As a result, all the existing shortcomings of bitcoin should soon be eliminated. Therefore, bitcoin can reach the forecasted rate of $ 30,000 this year.
Activity: 98
Merit: 0
It is true that technology is inferior but not all the timez you will fear the technology. It is risky but it if the bitcoin will grow, It can change our system to new form market change
legendary
Activity: 4270
Merit: 4534
bitcoin has actually lost alot of its utility and passion.
it seems the only things left are peoples emotions.

people still believe in bitcoin for 3 reasons
1. the dev team
2. the person spent alot of money buying in and will defend it right up until the point they make profit and then thier devotion wanes
3. "its the first"

to which people need a reality check
1. dev's will move onto different projects. we are already seeing the devs of blockstream helping out with other coins and even hyperledger. so dont "trust" that devs have a life ambition to stick with bitcoin. just like the employee's of myspace moved on to different social media platforms
2. if your mindset is only defending bitcoin, to bump the price to get your fiat profit.. by defending bitcoin even when the ethos and utility is being teared apart, then that alone shows its not sustainable as an asset (HODL coin)
3. again look at napster, myspace, AOL.. being in first place is not reason alone.. even olympic gold medal runners get old and slower and are replaced

yes there will always be people hyping bitcoin trying to get new people to buy it. but not due to technical advantages, but purely as a hot potato game of passing on the hot potato before they get burned

i personally gave up hyping bitcoin in around 2014-2015 once i started seeing bitcoins utility/ethos diminish and i did not want to become one of them people trying to advertise bitcoin purely for the price bump. as that then becomes the grey area/border line of no longer advertising a viable product/asset. but starting to advertise something purely for a rob peter to pay paul

so if anyone with ethics/morals really took a long hard and open minded thought about it. if you are only hyping bitcoin for the hope it will push up the price so you can trigger your exit strategy, then deep down you know bitcoin is not sustainable as only an asset currency.

bitcoin needs to be more than just an asset(HODL coin)
Activity: 7
Merit: 0
Why Bitcoin is supported? Because I'm willing, you don't like bitcoin, you think it's useless, you just leave here. Nobody wants to leave you. After all, everyone has different ideas. I think Bitcoin's future deserves my investment. This is enough.
legendary
Activity: 3472
Merit: 10611
inferior to what?
it is like asking people why they prefer Gold over Shit, then go on explaining how Shit is used a lot for example for fertilizer, burned for heating,... and this is what you are practically doing.

you think altcoins are better than bitcoin because they are advertised as such and also regarding fees you see an unused thing with a low price then think fees of such network will always remain the same! it was already proven multiple times for multiple coins that they have the same fate as bitcoin. ETH got congested multiple times and its fees went to the moon, BCH was spam attacked for about a week and its mempool and fees went to the moon,....
Activity: 54
Merit: 1
Bitcoin has tremendous fees and is too slow for in person transactions.

And yet Bitcoin's forum is packed with users and thousands of new posts everyday.

I go to any other alt coins forum and it's crickets. It's dead, like one or two posts a day compared to thousands on the Bitcoin forum.

I stopped using Bitcoin because I didn't want to pay $30 transaction fees.

Why does everyone here still support Bitcoin instead of jumping ship to a coin with faster/cheaper fees?

Honestly I'm asking not to knock Bitcoin, I'm simply trying to predict which coin will be big in the future so that I can buy it now while it's still cheap  Grin
Rather than guess, I figured it best to ask the community directly?

I'm assuming you stick with Bitcoin because it's all about the brand.  

Hey, I prefer Coca Cola over those 25 cent generic colas. I'm willing to pay double the price for Redbull instead of Monster or Rockstar. I like Cheerios better than Tasteos.

Brand is important.

But for a coin, I'm probably willing to pay at most 50 cents more per transaction for the Brand name coin over the coin with an inferior name.

Maybe everyone is waiting for the Lightning Network? I've read about it. It seems like an inferior solution to a coin that can transact quickly/cheaply on the blockchain.

Pages:
Jump to: