Pages:
Author

Topic: Why do you think Trump changed his mind over the strike on Iran? - page 2. (Read 403 times)

legendary
Activity: 4690
Merit: 1276

I'd say that there was a good chance that the whole attack/revoke thing was stated.  But if not, two things seem most possible to me:

- High credibility info that the drone+poseidon+? had invaded Iranian airspace was threatened to be released.

- The U.S. was, at the last minute, made aware of Iranian capabilities to retaliate, and willingness to do so, which made the costs to high to be borne without further prep.

Being lied into war is one thing.  We've all seen it before and it didn't collapse the country.  Being lied into a war which resulted in the loss of our Navy, for instance, is quite another.

legendary
Activity: 3318
Merit: 2008
First Exclusion Ever
I think that his many war-hawk neocon advisors basically ordered the airstrike for him, but he realized that it was insane and called it back. From reporting about the inside of the Administration, I get the sense that everyone is just doing whatever they want, often ignoring what Trump says, and Trump himself is a pretty weak force on most issues. I'm glad that he pushed back on this one, but I still see the machine of war moving constantly in the direction of Iran.

I don't believe they have the authority to do that. That kind of action is the sort of thing that can see you at the far end of a firing squad in the military, and chain of command is not something the military toys with.
legendary
Activity: 3906
Merit: 1373
When enough messages are sent like this one, the nations will become lax after a while. Then it will be safer to "strike" them.

Cool
administrator
Activity: 5222
Merit: 13032
I think that his many war-hawk neocon advisors basically ordered the airstrike for him, but he realized that it was insane and called it back. From reporting about the inside of the Administration, I get the sense that everyone is just doing whatever they want, often ignoring what Trump says, and Trump himself is a pretty weak force on most issues. I'm glad that he pushed back on this one, but I still see the machine of war moving constantly in the direction of Iran.
legendary
Activity: 3318
Merit: 2008
First Exclusion Ever
I agree this was probably a strategic move, one intended not only to send a message to Iran without actual escalation, as well as what you stated plugging any leaks. It would also have the additional benefit of allowing the US to monitor their reaction and gain valuable information on their defensive tactics.
Activity: 28
Merit: 4
nope, iran strike is an awful decision, cuz iran also has nukes, the profits of the war against a government which has nukes are much much lower than the costs of this war
legendary
Activity: 2800
Merit: 2472
https://JetCash.com
I don't believe that he ever intended that there would be a strike. The consequences such as higher oil prices, and a rising death toll meant that it was a bad political play. I think he understood this from the beginning, and he used it to test his so-called advisers and aids, and to help discover who was leaking information. He has also used it to help maintain his image as a kind and compassionate man.
Pages:
Jump to: