Pages:
Author

Topic: Why does the mainstream media ignore altcoins? - page 2. (Read 2201 times)

Activity: 392
Merit: 250
alternative money systems alias cryptos are in direct conflict witth the elite and their central banks, the elite controls the media, so they would be idiots if they would report on their enemy

everytime you see bitcoin in mainstream media, the words unsafe, money laundring, drugs etc come at some point, theyre scared af and i love it  Grin
Activity: 79
Merit: 10
Crypto journalism is biased and corrupt, 'real' journalists don't know enough about crypto, so they can't write meaningful stories. Big opportunity for those who make the effort to educate themselves.
Activity: 546
For me i think they cant see any angle to report other than the fact that it is continously growing. It's like stalking a personality with the same clothing. But i think some media are also researching how it works or who is the man behind all the scene of bitcoin. Sometimes it's too good to report that there is no thrill to report to it.
legendary
Activity: 2450
Merit: 1047
thecryptocurrency.directory
They are not now but they will soon With the growing market capitalization of altcoins mainstream media cannot ignore it,they are not listing it yet and they just focus on bitcoin because they see some altcoins are just clone of bitcoin and find some altcoins innovation to hard for them to understand..
legendary
Activity: 1848
Merit: 1000
The only altcoins I have seen in the mainstream on more than one occasion are LTC, ETH and XRP.

It doesn't surprise me really as it has taken this long for bitcoin to get half decent press, I think we will hear more about other coins in the next year because a market like this cannot be ignored for too long.
Activity: 291
It is not about ignoring the alt coin market but there are coins popping up every now and then and it is really hard to follow every coins,Bitcoin is the market leader and the valuation between bitcoin and the rest of the coins makes the difference here.Since most of the alt coins are having a good rally hope we will see a stable price in them and with the increase in market cap we will hear about it in the news in future.
legendary
Activity: 3038
Merit: 1330
Slava Ukraini!
I can't say that mainstream media ignore altcoins. I saw some news about Litecoin, Monero, Ethereum. Still, there are not that much articles and news about bitcoin on mainstream media and we can expect lot of articles about other coins.
Main news media don't have journalists who write only about cryptocurrency, they have only business journalists.
I don't think that news about altcoins would get many visitors/viewers.
Altcoins don't have very big marketcap and many of altcoins are just scammy shitcoins.
It's just few of reasons why we don't see lot of news about altcoins on mainstream media.
legendary
Activity: 3332
Merit: 6809
Cashback 15%
Most people still don't know jack shit about bitcoin, what it is, how to use it, what it's worth...how are the ignorant, unwashed masses supposed to comprehend that there are thousands of other shitcoins on the market?  Most people on this very forum don't understand why Yobit is stuffed with all the garbage that it is--because these shitcoins are scams.  What's the mainstream media supposed to report about that?  That the world is populated with morons?  That's old news.

Frankly, I'm happy if bitcoin gets press.  All the other ones can teabag me.
legendary
Activity: 1358
Merit: 1001
Excellent discussion, kudos to OP! Yeah, in my country I could find only once the news about the alts in mainstream media and it was about ethereum few months ago...
Activity: 26
Merit: 0
They are slowly but they are... If you read The Economist (from de UK). Their mentioned bitcoin, ethereum,... by some small articles. As Forbes does, The wall street Journal does as well. And I am sure much more. You just won't see at the news on the television.
Activity: 63
I see you have not heard the matter yet. The banks have shares in the massmedia, tv, newspaper etc .. do you think that they promote the crypto universe so that you cancel your contracts with them, and thus you win more money in crypto coins?

They are coming in like an elephant, they are the whales they are buying. And when they promote it in the TV and newspapers they will already have in their hands the cake of the cake.

That is why they have constantly tried to criminalize the crypto market. They do not want you to cancel your contracts. If you trade with coins, you earn more money.
Activity: 84
If the altcoin industry is now a multi-billion dollar industry then why doesn't the media treat it like one?

2016 and 2017 marked an enormous change in the cryptocurrency industry with alternative cryptocurrencies in particular gaining multi-million dollar or even billion-dollar market caps. The altcoin industry became a major industry in its own right and has gained the attention of banks, tech giants like Microsoft, and venture capital firms.

And yet, why is it that we never hear about altcoins in the mainstream media? By mainstream, I am referring to news websites like BBC.com, newspapers like the New York Times and the Washington Post, and TV news stations like CNN, Fox News, and NBC.

I can understand why the media did not report on say Darkcoin back when it had a $10 million market cap or NEM and Monero when they had a $2 million market cap because back then, altcoins were amateurish projects with only a small community of crypto geeks interested in them (I should know, I was one of them Cheesy).

Some altcoins do have mentions but they tend to be one-sentence examples. Only a very small few (e.g. Litecoin, Ethereum) have multiple articles dedicated to them.

Searching Fox News for the terms "Lisk", "Ardor", "Stratis", or "Monero" reveals nothing. Even "DASH" yields no results.

When PIVX gained a $100 million market cap, no news outlets mentioned it (Searching the term "PIVX" on BBC, Fox News, or NBC shows zero results). There is also no mention of PIVX in Reuters, Bloomberg, or the Wall Street Journal even though these are precisely the kind of places where you'd expect to find such information. Huh

well for a start you can check regulated and licensed coins, backed by registered and liable companies , or thigns like ETH that have some backing by such companies ? ( which don't have the risk of running overnight on a onion network) ( Hint Hint : BTC, ETH, HMQ , XRP etc )

Examples :
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-03-03/bitcoin-is-now-worth-more-than-gold
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/videos/2017-01-27/will-tech-titans-enter-payment-industry
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/blockchain-app-humaniqs-hmq-token-to-be-traded-on-six-exchanges-2017-04-25-10203468
https://cointelegraph.com/news/ethereum-gains-mainstream-exposure-on-popular-tv-show-silicon-valley

as for the rest, all it takes is one single govt order saying something like "All Unregulated and Unlicensed altcoins are illegal" - No more - i promise. :-) and this hammer is coming sooner or later to wipe out a mass of this seemingly nice billion dollar industry- That is why main stream media do not want to be assosiated with these . the truth is they are either shady or have not taken the effort to regulate and license themselves.

dont believe a single word from me, go and research yourself. google will do.
Activity: 560
Merit: 501
I think that it is not that big actually. You think altcoins are huge, because you live in the "altcoin" world, and you check them, and browse on forums, but in reallity, there are 7 billion people on earth, and i dont know how many people are in altcoin markets, but the good ICOs get like 2000 people backing them up?

To sum it up; they are not so big yet.
Activity: 728
Merit: 500
Likely when the current bubble collapses it will be on the news for one day.
legendary
Activity: 2800
Merit: 2733
Farewell LEO: o_e_l_e_o
1. the do not want to be labeled as a fake media house or a shill when an altcoin project fails

2. Most likely the altcoin is not unique enough in their books and does not pass their criteria to be mentioned

3. They are simply playing it safe with cryptocurrency news to avoid any legal contingencies Roll Eyes
Activity: 994
Merit: 513
Well, Ethereum gets some media attention. But all Alts together, getting media attention? That's way too diverse a field to cover.

On that note, "Blockchain" as technology would need coverage. But it's a very complex matter on its own.

Apart from that, what do you expect mainstream media to say? "Looks like a bubble", "A big number of scams, avoid"? Both wouldn't be that wrong, would it?
I'm kinda glad that mainstream media stays out of this. Otherwise, millions of people would stream into a market they don't understand and lose their shirts in it. Granted, we, as (relatively) early adopters would make a killing in indirectly ripping off average joes putting their life savings into it, but would you feel ok with it?
Activity: 868
Merit: 500
I think the simple answer is that majority of the Altcoin, I will say 99% of them are scam coins.
Activity: 1344
Merit: 288

Searching Fox News for the terms "Lisk", "Ardor", "Stratis", or "Monero" reveals nothing. Even "DASH" yields no results.

You really expect those to be even mentioned in mainstream media?  They are just shit coins.

BTC and LTC are the only ones that will make main stream.
And why did you pick LTC among all the others? What kind of advantages/features does Litecoin have to surpass Monero or Dash?
Please don't tell me Litecoin is the oldest/first altcoin to come to existence – that doesn't prove why it should be mentioned.
Activity: 335

You really expect those to be even mentioned in mainstream media?  They are just shit coins.

BTC and LTC are the only ones that will make main stream.
Activity: 273
Merit: 252
...because to the average person, crypto currency is way too hard to understand.

exactly.

ask the average person how a traditional bank works, and they couldn't tell you either. most people are oblivious to these things, let alone ever question them.
Pages:
Jump to: