Pages:
Author

Topic: Why hasn't the EU got a common language? - page 2. (Read 986 times)

legendary
Activity: 2464
Merit: 1145
English is the official language of the EU but that will probaly change with the brexit.
It seems french or german will be the main official language then.

There are 24 official languages and enough translators to make sure all documents are available in all languages. 

That is correct. But english is nevertheless the main working language.
Pretty much every/All organ, workgroup and negotiations are made in english and translated into other languages.

For that i think it is ok to say english has a special place or rather is the main language in the EU.
legendary
Activity: 3808
Merit: 7912
English is the official language of the EU but that will probaly change with the brexit.

There are 24 official languages and enough translators to make sure all documents are available in all languages. 
legendary
Activity: 2464
Merit: 1145
legendary
Activity: 3906
Merit: 1373
It took over 500 years for the people of Britain to develop English Common Law. The EU destroys all that. Why should they ever want to stay?

See Should England leave the UK - https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.15447586.

Cool
legendary
Activity: 3808
Merit: 7912
After all, they have got a common everything else. I guess it's because the obvious language to use would be English, and they don't want to give Britain too much recognition. Could this be yet another reason for Britain to leave the EU?

Britain is leaving because her citizens voted in favour of leaving.  On the agenda were sovereignty, jobs and immigration.  I don't think language had any direct bearing on the decision.  Interestingly, 5% of the EU speaks Romanian which is a romance language.
Activity: 1638
Merit: 756
Bobby Fischer was right
Why no common language?
Because of many cultures with completely different backgrounds. Both ethnic and localization. How could a common language be selected when there is such a variety
to choose from? Slavs, Germans, Roms, Anglo-Saxon etc. Melting pot, disputes would never end. There is a good alternative witch is Esperanto. Its a Polish invention so I guess some would be against any way Smiley
Next obstacle is how would a union without state power enforce people to learn
completely new tongue? By force? Wink Impossible as elderly people, proud youngsters would be strongly against.
As to Brexit, I dont see any correlation with language adoption. Its pure "they steeling our jobs" thingy.
legendary
Activity: 2800
Merit: 2472
https://JetCash.com
After all, they have got a common everything else. I guess it's because the obvious language to use would be English, and they don't want to give Britain too much recognition. Could this be yet another reason for Britain to leave the EU?
Pages:
Jump to: