Pages:
Author

Topic: Why I think bitcoins are a bad investmen at these high prices. - page 2. (Read 4949 times)

Activity: 1302
Merit: 502
Jesus, Edward50, are you bipolar?  All I ever see are f-ed up retarded rant threads like this coming from you.  Time to darken that ignore.

Quote from: Edward50 ad nauseum
I'm in, Bitcoin is going up!

I'm out, Bitcoin is fucking stupid!

I'm in, I think it's got a chance this time!

I'm out, Bitcoin sucks and isn't worth the electrons it's fabricated on!
legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 1000
Jesus, Edward50, are you bipolar?  All I ever see are f-ed up retarded rant threads like this coming from you.  Time to darken that ignore.
Activity: 518
Merit: 500

Something just does not add up to me with how the prices are and how high they have grown over such a short period of time.

I have been having doubts that the market is dirtier then it seemed first. Some points that I have been having doubts over:

1) 50%+ of bitcoins are actually held by a group of people who are communicating co-operating with eachother to get the most out of the market. I started having doubts when I saw that during certain times the bots seemed to work together in the same tune. All the bull and beartraps will go through without any solid opposition for some time periods. There are certain periods when the market actually looks like there is a rich vs poor competition, when actually the rich should stay in competition with eachother aswell.

2) The boom in China was simulated for the most part. The demand actually wasn't as big as the numbers show. This could have been done by rich players who bought and sold at the same time to simulate trade and demand to drive the price up. This could have been also done by simply giving out wrong market data.

Most of the community leaders and the dev team has no interest whatsoever to develop rules and regulations to protect the integrity of the market. But with this direction the market will get uglier and uglier every day and eventually it will cross a line when BTC will be called an overall scam. I think that Okcoin simulating the market data is just a tip of the iceberg and more scandals will come out regarding the dirty tricks that are used with the market. I have the biggest doubts about MtGox, since it is not just logical that they are so incompetent with the income they have with fees. It seems more likely that their incompetence is deliberate and a tool to manipulate the market for their own investment directions.

I'm just going to +1 this post.

Again, this doesn't mean we can't make profits, but right now it's delusional to say these are natural movements. It's making Bitcoin look like a joke.
Activity: 182
Merit: 100
Buy High, Sell Low, is what some people did.

Who bought coins at $1000+

LOL!

Lost about 1/2 its value.

Just wait for them to go back to $0.01 - $5.00 again.

Soon when all governments and banks disallow any exchange websites, and you can't get your paper money out of it, then value will be $0.00 and you lose 100% of your money.
legendary
Activity: 1176
Merit: 1010
Borsche
Buying bitcoin is mostly for people who want to get rich without any work nor knowledge. Serious investors are very skeptical on these kinds of ventures. That is why I also said before that I think most trading data that is shown in the BTC market is simulated or plain false.

You would be surprised by how many people "want to get rich without any work"; it's like 99% of the population.
legendary
Activity: 3990
Merit: 4460
You're never too old to think young.
it is a much riskier investment now at $700 than it was at $10 or even $100. The marketcap has to increase so much more to get the same gains as you would at a lower bitcoin price.

Investing $1000 when bitcoins is a $1.00, will give you the same downside risk as investing in bitcoins when they are $1000. You both can lose your entire $1000. However, the potential gains are astronomically higher at $1.00 than they are at $1000. For bitcoins to go from say $1.00 to $20 dollars is so much higher than from bitcoins to go from $1000 to $20,000 dollars.

It seems like perhaps you're still thinking in a straight line.

Until the s-curve of adoption goes vertical, it's probably wiser to think logarithmically.
Activity: 140
banned but not broken
At these prices more serious investors will come in investing bigger amounts. One large investor investing $1m is the equivalent of a thousand "normal" people investing $1,000.

Hard to see why would serious investors invest in buying BTC when they could use their serious investments in creating and promoting their own coin that is more refined. Only grey area capitalist cowboys would invest big sums into bitcoin when the trust in the market is lowering everyday. And these guys use every tirty trick in the book to make sure that they will get their money back.
The "i'll buy low and sell high" game is more for the regular folks who don't have the knowledge to use the crypto scene with bigger perspectives. It's more logical for bigger investors to create their own coin or at least invest in building support services for BTC. "I'll buy BTC low and sell high" is just too simplistic for big investments.

Risk/reward again. Putting $1m in bitcoin now is a lot safer and easier than using that $1m to make and promote your own coin.

It would be a lot better to  invest that $1m into a starting a support service for bitcoin. A lot more stability and potential for it then just buying low. With 10$mil +. And it you wouldn't have to create a new coin alone but to get together a team of investors to create something better.
Buying bitcoin is mostly for people who want to get rich without any work nor knowledge. Serious investors are very skeptical on these kinds of ventures. That is why I also said before that I think most trading data that is shown in the BTC market is simulated or plain false.
Activity: 378
Merit: 250
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Available Now!
With regards to the OP, yes it is correct that increases in market cap become more difficult, BUT only when we are close to saturation point. We are nowhere near it.

Look at the growth of facebook - it went from 1 million users to 12 million users in 2 years. The next two years it went from 12 million users to 150 million users. Roughly the same rate of growth.

It then took 3.5 years to go from 150 million to a billion. That's because at 150 million users, it was much closer to the saturation point (given that only about 2.4 billion people have internet access).

The point I'm trying to make is that bitcoin can go to $10,000 - $100,000 before getting close to the saturation point.

At these prices more serious investors will come in investing bigger amounts. One large investor investing $1m is the equivalent of a thousand "normal" people investing $1,000.

Hard to see why would serious investors invest in buying BTC when they could use their serious investments in creating and promoting their own coin that is more refined. Only grey area capitalist cowboys would invest big sums into bitcoin when the trust in the market is lowering everyday. And these guys use every tirty trick in the book to make sure that they will get their money back.
The "i'll buy low and sell high" game is more for the regular folks who don't have the knowledge to use the crypto scene with bigger perspectives. It's more logical for bigger investors to create their own coin or at least invest in building support services for BTC. "I'll buy BTC low and sell high" is just too simplistic for big investments.

Risk/reward again. Putting $1m in bitcoin now is a lot safer and easier than using that $1m to make and promote your own coin.
banned but not broken

legendary
Activity: 1246
Merit: 1000
EDIT:

Basically, if you get less reward for a given investment, than the investment is more risky??

If that's true, then pretty much every major stock investment in the world has been more risky than investing in bitcoin because all of those other investments have returned less reward.  Bitcoin:  The least risky investment.

I think he was saying that the risk is not just worth it anymore. The risk in buying BTC is about the same as it used to be, but the reward for success is A LOT lower.

The perceived risk of BTC failing is a lot lower today than it was a year ago, and the price reflects that. Doesn't that make perfect sense to you? A year ago hardly anyone except hardcore geeks knew about bitcoin. Now we see a lot more awareness all around, and many entrepreneurs starting up businesses around it. How is this so hard to see and grasp for some people? If bitcoin truly succeeds then $1000 for a single bitcoin will seem like nothing, you will still be able to make 5000-50000% profit on your investment which is something you can't get anywhere else as a regular person.
Activity: 924
Merit: 1001

Just heavily edited my post from original. lol
I think this should be common sense.  But maybe my logic is wrong somehow, well here goes.

When bitcoins were  $20 dollars each, and you bought $1000 dollars worth of bitcoins, you would own 50 bitcoins.

Bitcoins at $1000 each, you buy $1000 dollars worth, you have 1 bitcoin.

Now for you to double your investment to $2000. Bitcoins at $20 dollars each would have to rise to $40 dollars each.

To double your investment at $1000, 1 bitcoin would have to rise a whopping $1000 dollars more for you to double your investment.

This is why, I think, people are going to stop buying Bitcoins, and the price will level out until the saturation in the market demands the purchasing of bitcoins by larger entities, such as companies (to pay salaries), governments, etc. Unless there is a *massive* marketing effort to transition "Bitcoin" to "sub Bitcoin" ... people are going to stop buying in.  Nobody wants 0.00001 bitcoin.  So when people start getting paid in BTC or some other method by which to purchase "whole" amounts (think - winklevoss trust - bitcoin shares) which constitute sub-BTC quantities ... I believe we will level off above the $1000-$2000 mark.  And I could be dead wrong.  But I have yet to hear a single person explain to me why the outright purchasing of bitcoins will continue past that which most humans can afford.

Activity: 924
Merit: 1001
I think this should be common sense.  But maybe my logic is wrong somehow, well here goes.

When bitcoins were  $20 dollars each, and you bought $1000 dollars worth of bitcoins, you would own 50 bitcoins.

Bitcoins at $1000 each, you buy $1000 dollars worth, you have 1 bitcoin.

Now for you to double your investment to $2000. Bitcoins at $20 dollars each would have to rise to $40 dollars each.

To double your investment at $1000, 1 bitcoin would have to rise a whopping $1000 dollars more for you to double your investment.

This is why, I think, people are going to stop buying whole Bitcoins, and the price will level out..... until the saturation in the market goes up exponentially, and everyone is buying and selling with the stuff. 

People will want to know how to get some.  Nobody's going to buy a $1500 bitcoin.  Most wont want a 1/100th of a bitcoin.  So when the demand increases enough that larger entities, such as companies (to pay salaries), governments, etc. then i can see the pure *demand* for BTC overall start to push the price up again. 

Unless there is a *massive* marketing effort to transition "Bitcoin" to "sub Bitcoin" (mBTC) ... people are going to stop buying in.  And after numerous discussions with everyone including the Bitcoin Foundation, it doesn't seem anyone gives a flying shit and isn't planning on doing anything.  Coinbase has said outright they have no plans to switch to mBTC.

Nobody wants 0.00001 bitcoin.  So when people start getting paid in BTC or some other method by which to purchase "whole" amounts (think - winklevoss trust - bitcoin shares) which constitute sub-BTC quantities ... I believe we will level off above the $1000-$2000 mark.  And I could be dead wrong.  But I have yet to hear a single person explain to me why the outright purchasing of bitcoins will continue past that which most humans can afford.

legendary
Activity: 2324
Merit: 1125
EDIT:

Basically, if you get less reward for a given investment, than the investment is more risky??

If that's true, then pretty much every major stock investment in the world has been more risky than investing in bitcoin because all of those other investments have returned less reward.  Bitcoin:  The least risky investment.

I think he was saying that the risk is not just worth it anymore. The risk in buying BTC is about the same as it used to be, but the prize for success is A LOT lower.

The price of buying Bitcoin has exponentially decreased. This is why the price has exponentially increased. It's not rocket science.
legendary
Activity: 2324
Merit: 1125
If you feel bitcoin is bad in terms of roi, I suggest you look at litecoin.there are also other altcoins with some promise.

Long term Litecoin won't outperform Bitcoin if you buy above 0.03 BTC/LTC. It might even perform worse than that if you buy below that because 0.03 implies LTC has a value of 12% of Bitcoin (4 times higher supply) which I think is an overstatement even if LTC consolidates it's position as second in crypto.
banned but not broken
EDIT:

If that's true, then pretty much every major stock investment in the world has been more risky than investing in bitcoin because all of those other investments have returned less reward.  Bitcoin:  The least risky investment.

I think he was saying that the risk is not just worth it anymore. The risk in buying BTC is about the same as it used to be, but the reward for success is A LOT lower.
legendary
Activity: 2198
Merit: 1311
EDIT:

If that's true, then pretty much every major stock investment in the world has been more risky than investing in bitcoin because all of those other investments have returned less reward.  Bitcoin:  The least risky investment.
banned but not broken

Something just does not add up to me with how the prices are and how high they have grown over such a short period of time.

I have been having doubts that the market is dirtier then it seemed first. Some points that I have been having doubts over:

1) 50%+ of bitcoins are actually held by a group of people who are communicating co-operating with eachother to get the most out of the market. I started having doubts when I saw that during certain times the bots seemed to work together in the same tune. All the bull and beartraps will go through without any solid opposition for some time periods. There are certain periods when the market actually looks like there is a rich vs poor competition, when actually the rich should stay in competition with eachother aswell.

2) The boom in China was simulated for the most part. The demand actually wasn't as big as the numbers show. This could have been done by rich players who bought and sold at the same time to simulate trade and demand to drive the price up. This could have been also done by simply giving out wrong market data.

Most of the community leaders and the dev team has no interest whatsoever to develop rules and regulations to protect the integrity of the market. But with this direction the market will get uglier and uglier every day and eventually it will cross a line when BTC will be called an overall scam. I think that Okcoin simulating the market data is just a tip of the iceberg and more scandals will come out regarding the dirty tricks that are used with the market. I have the biggest doubts about MtGox, since it is not just logical that they are so incompetent with the income they have with fees. It seems more likely that their incompetence is deliberate and a tool to manipulate the market for their own investment directions.
Activity: 167
well if so you can buy at 700 and sell at 1000 in a few months. That's still better investment than anything else in the real world.

But then you may be back here whining about how it is too expensive to buy bitcoins at 4000 in a few months later.

It is true that you can more easily double/triple your investment in a new altcoin if you know the pump'n'dump drill, than the bitcoins. That is why we still continue to have new altcoins. I personally find the practice ethically questionable since in the end it's close to a zero sum game.
Pages:
Jump to: