Pages:
Author

Topic: Why is bitcoin going for more than $20 on eBay? - page 2. (Read 5966 times)

Activity: 899
Merit: 1002
ebay has enormous fees which is why it costs more, and the fact that you'll be scammed afterwards by paypal is probably a risk must equal reward factor in the price

if you sold bitcoin printouts or a CD/USB drive with the priv keys on it and physically shipped it to a validated paypal address you may have a leg or two to stand on but are still open to scams
Activity: 104
Merit: 10
You know it was funny finding mtgox years later after being a magic the gathering fan and using the site so long ago. Made me do a double take.
Activity: 784
Merit: 101
I'm always into scamming the scammers so here's what you do.  Grab a little camera and film the screen showing their e-mail with their BTC address.  Then open the client, copy and paste, and hit send.  If they initiate a chargeback, paypal or a CC processor asks you for any additional evidence you might have that proves you sent what they bought.  Send them the video.  Then that scamming jackass who initiated a chargeback or paypal complaint and thought his big pile of money was coming right back is totally out that money.

eBay/Paypal will not look at videos sent to them as proof of anything.

Once again... NEVER, EVER... (ever) SEND BITCOINS DIGITALLY THROUGH EBAY/PAYPAL SALES.

Always ship them a physical product. Always use the integrated shipping tools with PayPal.

There are several very nice printing options available with a multitude of designs.

http://print.printcoins.com by RobKhor is my favorite as it has the most designs available (and more on the way).
search github for aristus for a command line application which prints on a turing note.
bitinstant.com has a javascript based note printer.

Activity: 392
Merit: 250
I'm always into scamming the scammers so here's what you do.  Grab a little camera and film the screen showing their e-mail with their BTC address.  Then open the client, copy and paste, and hit send.  If they initiate a chargeback, paypal or a CC processor asks you for any additional evidence you might have that proves you sent what they bought.  Send them the video.  Then that scamming jackass who initiated a chargeback or paypal complaint and thought his big pile of money was coming right back is totally out that money.
I wonder if anyone currently employed at eBay even remembers auction web Smiley programmer turnover is 5 years on average.
Activity: 651
Merit: 501
My PGP Key: 92C7689C
...(WTF does MtGox even mean).
MtGox means "Magic the Gathering Online Exchange". Enough said pro & con about that here previously...  Wink

In terms though of being [put your adjective here], i think it's no worse than the name "eBay"...  Smiley

Very early on, eBay was known as AuctionWeb:

The company officially changed the name of its service from AuctionWeb to eBay in September 1997. Originally, the site belonged to Echo Bay Technology Group, Omidyar's consulting firm. Omidyar had tried to register the domain name echobay.com, but found it already taken by the Echo Bay Mines, a gold mining company, so he shortened it to his second choice, eBay.com.

I still have the registration email from when I signed up for AuctionWeb in May 1997.  The link given at the end, http://www.ebay.com/aw/, returns 404. How much work would it have been to put in a 301 redirect?  Grin
Activity: 364
Thanks. I wish you'd send me a huge in depth info about the bASIC as well if you had time. Thanks!
Here is what I don't understand - the chargebacks on PayPal I understand..

But what if I set up a CC gateway and accept payments, would it be the same?

What if on eBay I set up to sell a printed voucher and mail a physical representation?

Even if you send a physical item, which is how I sell on eBay, there is still a chance someone can charge back.

Many PayPal chargebacks are actually initiated through the buyer's credit card company.
If you run your own CC gateway, people can still charge back, use stolen cards, etc.
If you run your own CC gateway, you lose what little seller protection that PayPal offers.
If you run your own CC gateway, you have more ability to dispute chargebacks but you also have to provide your own infrastructure to validate buyer addresses.
If you run your own CC gateway, eBay is not going to be as easy to work with to resolve disputes.

Not trying to talk you out of it, these are just things to consider before jumping into a coins for CC venture of any kind. There are some failed attempts at this service which you can find by searching this forum.
Activity: 364
Here is what I don't understand - the chargebacks on PayPal I understand..

But what if I set up a CC gateway and accept payments, would it be the same?

What if on eBay I set up to sell a printed voucher and mail a physical representation?
Can someone explain the risk of selling BTC on ebay? How is disputing a transaction on ebay different for bitcoins than for other items?
Also, it seems to me that if you send something in the mail (one of those print-your-own notes or a casascius coin, even) so that you can verify receipt, it should be fine.
It's always a risk that someone will abuse the system and chargeback even after receiving a physical item.
If a chargeback happens, paypal freezes the funds until the issue is worked out.
Main reason for chargebacks... stolen account. Also the easiest thing to spot/avoid.

Thanks for that explanation. I'm interest in knowing why bitcoin is more susceptible to this abuse, especially if there is a physical item involved. How would this differ from other items? Is it because ebay or paypal can require a seller to accept a return?

To be frank, bitcoin on eBay is often drug money.
Drugs make honest people do bad things and are a magnet for dishonest people.

legendary
Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090
Mostly it is a matter of retail markup.

Sell something retail at maybe 40% markup, you only really lost 60% of the retail price when you get scammed.

If you know where I can but bitcoins at 60% of retail so I can resell them I'd love to know about it! Smiley

So basically whatever price you can buy them for, mark them up the usual kind of amount you charge on bags of sugar or cups of coffee or whatever, then add extra for the higher rate of scams on eBay compared to in your own shop with your shotgun or baseball bat under the counter...

-MarkM-
legendary
Activity: 4438
Merit: 3387
Can someone explain the risk of selling BTC on ebay? How is disputing a transaction on ebay different for bitcoins than for other items?
Also, it seems to me that if you send something in the mail (one of those print-your-own notes or a casascius coin, even) so that you can verify receipt, it should be fine.
It's always a risk that someone will abuse the system and chargeback even after receiving a physical item.
If a chargeback happens, paypal freezes the funds until the issue is worked out.
Main reason for chargebacks... stolen account. Also the easiest thing to spot/avoid.

Thanks for that explanation. I'm interest in knowing why bitcoin is more susceptible to this abuse, especially if there is a physical item involved. How would this differ from other items? Is it because ebay or paypal can require a seller to accept a return?

legendary
Activity: 4438
Merit: 3387

legendary
Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090
eBay sets the eBay-market price of bitcoins, MtGox sets the MtGox-market price of bitcoins. The market in the tiny town at the top of the loneliiest mountain, beyond the gorge of gargyles and the deepest pits of despair sets its own market-price of bitcoins.

"Market price" is, in short, a term that has two components, one of which is "market". So first you gotta find the scope/redius/locus or the market whose price you are trying to determine.

How many people participate in eBay?

How many in MtGox?

It can probably reasonably be argued that the market price of bitcoin is $20 but that there do exist niche geek clubs where one can, purportedly, and possibly not without some rigamarole, obtain them cheaper.

-MarkM-
Activity: 336
MtGox means "Magic the Gathering Online Exchange". Enough said pro & con about that here previously...  Wink

In terms though of being [put your adjective here], i think it's no worse than the name "eBay"...  Smiley

HAHAHAH now I'll never unsee that acronym
Activity: 702
Merit: 503
MtGox means "Magic the Gathering Online Exchange". Enough said pro & con about that here previously...  Wink

In terms though of being [put your adjective here], i think it's no worse than the name "eBay"...  Smiley
Activity: 336
Man I would be too scared to sell BTC on ebay with the potential for chargebacks
Activity: 110
Merit: 10
A Bitcoin is worth whatever someone's willing to exchange for it, be it US dollars or peanuts. The same is true of any other currency or item. To suggest that the exchange rate on MtGox or any other exchange sets the value of a Bitcoin is a very limited view.

But the exchanges are revealing publicly what someone is willing to exchange bitcoin for. The exchanges reveal what hundreds or thousands of people are willing to exchange bitcoin for. The market participants collectively set the price of any market and that means that mtgox gives much more information about the market price of bitcoin than ebay does.
Pages:
Jump to: