Pages:
Author

Topic: Why is Bitcoin so popular in Oregon? - page 2. (Read 5229 times)

Activity: 28
Merit: 0
July 10, 2013, 12:20:10 PM
Just saw that out of all the states in the US, Oregon is #1 in search volume for Bitcoin right now.  Any good reason for that?

http://www.google.com/trends/explore#q=bitcoin&geo=US&cmpt=geo

Orgeon people like freedom
donator
Activity: 1419
Merit: 1015
July 10, 2013, 12:15:18 PM
You are not even allowed to pump your own gas because the government is so into protecting you from yourself.

This is correct, the only states where you can't pump your own gas are Oregon and New Jersey. Talk about a nanny state. The reason gas rates are cheaper is because of lower gas taxes, not because of people pumping gas for you.

Course in Oregon you are allowed to kill yourself medically, so I guess they get points for that.
legendary
Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005
July 10, 2013, 12:07:56 PM
if tipping is no require for letting folks pumping my gas, I'm fine with it. Most other countries have staffs to pump gas for customers and the gas station is responsible for paying them.
No tipping required (or ever given in my experience).  Gas pumpers just make the minimum wage, $8.95/hr.
legendary
Activity: 1078
Merit: 1001
Bitcoin is new, makes sense to hodl.
July 10, 2013, 11:24:53 AM
if tipping is no require for letting folks pumping my gas, I'm fine with it. Most other countries have staffs to pump gas for customers and the gas station is responsible for paying them.
Activity: 28
July 10, 2013, 11:17:43 AM
Because Orgeon is a smart state
legendary
Activity: 111
Merit: 10
CoinedBits.com
Activity: 899
Merit: 1002
April 14, 2013, 04:58:46 AM
Just saw that out of all the states in the US, Oregon is #1 in search volume for Bitcoin right now.  Any good reason for that?

http://www.google.com/trends/explore#q=bitcoin&geo=US&cmpt=geo

anarchists, loads of them in Oregon. i used to go down there in highschool to see Poison Idea play and hung out in many an anarchist flop house. they're all still operating surprisingly last time i checked the mailing list on riseup.

Oregon also chock full of enviro extremists, hippies, redneck militias, and generally people who hate the fed government and control. First day in Portland I was in a cafe and some rednecks were burning money simply because they hated the feds. "It's illegal to deface money.. fuck the government" . Lol, oregon
Activity: 111
Merit: 10
CoinedBits.com
April 14, 2013, 04:44:22 AM
Forget Oregon, we need to work on Wyoming.
legendary
Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276
April 13, 2013, 11:54:07 PM
And yes, not pumping your own gas is pretty nice, especially in a rainy state like ours. I wish when I visited non-pumping states that the gas stations would take a little extra money to come pump my gas for me.

Interesting.

Most areas have a few stations that you can pay for the attendant to pump your gas.  I usually avoid those lanes or pushing the attendant button.

In fact, when I used to commute thru the Willamette valley I had a membership to an unmanned station just so I could pump my own.  Smiley  I've never banged the pump handle into my vehicle nor broken the filler door by bumping into it...

I found that for as much as the folks around and just north of Corvallis like to tell other people what to do and how to live, they sure don't like it when somebody tells them.  Maybe they are the ones getting into bitcoin.

You can pump your own gas at the Seven Feather's station on I-5 South of Roseburg.  It's got some sort of Indian tribal rights deal going.  But who wants to?  Gas is cheaper in Oregon even with someone else pumping it than it is down the road in California.

I very much like the regulation about having needing an attendant.  It's probably cut the amount of property crime in half by providing some semblance of a job for certain of the borderline retarded inhabitants in the poverty stricken towns.  Of which there are many.  The other thing which makes in possible to service the 1500 square mile county I live in with two or three on-duty sheriff's deputies is that it is rare indeed that a rural home does not have a ready supply of weapons of different calibers handy.  My personal go-to piece is a shotgun.

Activity: 53
April 13, 2013, 11:39:39 PM
And yes, not pumping your own gas is pretty nice, especially in a rainy state like ours. I wish when I visited non-pumping states that the gas stations would take a little extra money to come pump my gas for me.

Interesting.

Most areas have a few stations that you can pay for the attendant to pump your gas.  I usually avoid those lanes or pushing the attendant button.

In fact, when I used to commute thru the Willamette valley I had a membership to an unmanned station just so I could pump my own.  Smiley  I've never banged the pump handle into my vehicle nor broken the filler door by bumping into it...

I found that for as much as the folks around and just north of Corvallis like to tell other people what to do and how to live, they sure don't like it when somebody tells them.  Maybe they are the ones getting into bitcoin.
legendary
April 13, 2013, 05:01:03 PM

I got to thinking about this a little more.

I've been in a number of environments where I was around people from all over the country and all over the world.  I believe that I do sense an observable difference, as a statistical trend, between people from the Pacific Northwest and other areas.  We do seem a little bit more willing to form our own opinions about things and speak our minds.  Wayne Morse voting against the Gulf of Tonkin resolution was a classic example of this.

One thing may have to do with education.  While it is a single observation, my mother had a high school teacher in the late 50's or early 60's who made the students read a variety of media from different sources.  Then the class would discuss the origin of the media and the messages contained within the articles and analyze things from that perspective.  This quality of analysis was probably not typical even for Oregon standards of the time, but it strikes me as reminiscent of the analytic style of a lot of my older and more intellectual friends in the area.

We are also a young part of a young country.  A fair number of my recent ancestors can be traced back to having come here from both Europe and other parts of the country within recent memory, and at a time when it was a pretty raw area.  It is said that settling populations exhibit a noticeable amount of vigor, and it make perfect sense.  It is also said that regression to the mean dampens this within a few generations.  We may have a little more of that left than average.  I dunno.

Lastly, I know a fair number of people who have moved out here within their lifetimes and they exhibit the same sorts of mentalities.  I attribute it to the fact that they are happy to be among others who are of a similar attitude and it may have something to do with their choosing to move here in the first place.

Activity: 218
Merit: 100
April 13, 2013, 10:51:09 AM
I have been promoting bitcoin in Portland full time for the last year.
[snip: 1001 ways osmosis is helping Bitcoin]

Bravo Osmosis!  Would you post a Bitcoin address so we can help support your efforts?  And maybe I should talk to you about how to do the same in my home state (SC).
Activity: 533
Merit: 501
April 13, 2013, 09:45:44 AM
Only medical mary j.  Not sure why it is popular in Oregon.  I live there and don't know anyone that uses bitcoin.
Was thinking the same... I'm in Eugene.

There is a pretty strong libertarian movement going on in Oregon, and bitcoin has infected it.

I just created a meetup.com group for it:
http://www.meetup.com/Portland-Bitcoin-Group/

Only three people are on the meetup group so far, but the meeting this sunday should have many more as it has been passed around a lot in email.

Also, Intel is located in Oregon, and bitcoins are starting to get pretty popular on the intel campus.

Finally "it is full of alternative minded people" is totally right on.
Interesting - I was rather unaware of the happenings in Portland regarding libertarians.  And Intel - is that anecdotal?  Have you heard this from people who work at Intel, or do you work there, or..?

We were one of the states where the GOP convention had to be shut down because Ron Paul libertarians were winning every seat down the line.

Yep, I personally have overheard enough conversations at intel about bitcoin and mining from people who I am not connected to that I think that the idea of it is running rampent through the campus.

I yep, OR has some statist policies but hopefully some of that will change. Someone used the word liberal, and I hate that the word that basically has been distorted to go from freedom loving to statist.

Activity: 169
Merit: 100
April 13, 2013, 04:01:36 AM
You are not even allowed to pump your own gas because the government is so into protecting you from yourself.

But not having to pump my own gas is one of my favorite things about living here.
I was going to say the same... I love sitting in my car watching someone else do the work.  Wink

Interesting that Oregon is so high in manufacturing.  I didn't expect that.  State income taxes being high is a given, since we don't have sales tax.

Look at Montana.  No sales tax and a lower income tax.  Oregon's manufacturing numbers are probably heavily skewed by intel's manufacturing numbers. (good for them)   
legendary
April 13, 2013, 03:29:40 AM
Some of the 'exports' from our state that I'm most proud of include

- Wayne Morse
 - Ron Wyden
 - Jeff Merkley
 - Peter Defazio

Cannot say I agree with all of them 100% and they are policians after all, but they are a cut above much of the rest of the slime in Washington and out in front on a number of the most critical questions of the day.  Including specifically questioning the morphing of our nation into a fascist kleptocracy and police state.

legendary
April 13, 2013, 02:35:34 AM

But not having to pump my own gas is one of my favorite things about living here.
I was going to say the same... I love sitting in my car watching someone else do the work.  Wink

Interesting that Oregon is so high in manufacturing.  I didn't expect that.  State income taxes being high is a given, since we don't have sales tax.
Activity: 300
Merit: 250
April 13, 2013, 01:51:09 AM

legendary
Activity: 1330
Merit: 1000
Bitcoin
April 13, 2013, 12:59:25 AM
No but it is full of alternative minded people.

This! ^^
legendary
Activity: 3598
Merit: 2386
Viva Ut Vivas
April 13, 2013, 12:56:25 AM
I was looking for maps where Oregon is in the top ranking, to correlate with Bitcoin use. Besides Bigfoot sightings and breast feeding, I came up with two:

This.

Quote from: media
Man pays big money for pictures of bigfoot sightings. Only pays with Bitcoin.
Same with breast feeding pics.
Pages:
Jump to: