Pages:
Author

Topic: Why is encrypted messaging important? Value your privacy! - page 2. (Read 327 times)

Activity: 1260
Merit: 102
Well to avoid phone hacking, one should be using the old models, like nokia 3310 and others of that era which don't have a highend operating system. If there is no high end operating system then there won't be any hacking.
Activity: 1204
Merit: 505
How is your privacy valued? Do you really know if your information stored is safe and secure?

I've learned in the long run that using SMS verification, password vaults, and other forms of so-called 'security' are not as secure as you would think. Hacking occurs daily, ESPECIALLY in the blockchain industry. We as individuals need to take measures to protect ourselves and our data.

A few forms of security measures most people mistake:

- SMS authentication / 2FA
Your phone number is NOT secure. People can hack into your phone number and tap into your messages, calls, etc. How do you think the feds bust most of your favorite criminals? Google Authenticator and Authy are OK, but still have the risk as they're connected to your phone number/email. Physical 2FA is the best option to go with. Hardware-based security keys provide a fast, no-fuss way to use two-factor authentication without having to mess around with your phone with. Some examples include YubiKey's, Thetus Fido, or the Google Tian key.

- Uploading your Bitcoin / Crypto Wallets
These are the absolute worst methods of holding your BTC or other digital assets. If you've been exposed by a keylogger, you can kiss your private key that is stored on your computer goodbye, alongside with your JSON file. Even though it is protected by a password, it's not like it would be hard to find after they're inside the guts of your computer... Your best bet is to use cold storage wallet if you're purchasing as an investment as it's physical and you are the only person who has access to this wallet via mnemonic phrase or seed access. Some good wallets to use are Ledger Nano (my favorite), Trezor, or BitBox. (PS: NEVER LEAVE FUNDS ON AN EXCHANGE- YOU DO NOT OWN THAT WALLET)

- Everyday Messaging
You would like your conversations online are secure right? Wrong. Remember back in 2018 when Mark Zuckerberg went into that big court case because your data wasn't necessarily being sold off, but access to you was being sold. You can also download your whole Facebook life in one large PDF file that has EVERYTHING- even stuff you deleted and old messages. With new GDPR rules, most web browsers collect all of the data you input and register within the domain. Scary stuff. Most messaging apps are not secure, especially if they're being bought by tech giants like Facebook. I use to think WhatsApp was secure until the acquisition with Facebook took place. Some of the safest messaging apps you can use right now would be Signal, Line, or Email. The only way these can be accessed is if there was a leak. Be careful what you talk about online.

There are a few blockchain projects that are taking the initiative for those who really value their privacy like Monero, ZCash, Dash, etc. I've got my eyes on a few other projects that are more focused towards the encryption of transactions and conversations. This article here inspired me to write this post as every day there's always some news about a business being compromised due to basics of security.

Read more about data security and privacy: https://www.techbullion.com/as-hacker-activity-rises-we-need-to-take-measures-to-protect-ourselves/

We have a lot of persons that don't really value their private life especially in this time when the government of countries are head bent on monitoring all the activities we make with how mobile phone down to monitoring the message we send to each other, apart for the fact that the government monitors our activities, we still have a lot of hackers doing so, this is why we need be very conscious about sending encrypted message to people.
Activity: 215
Merit: 7
Cobain of Crypto
Well i ussually only send emails but not using so much, and no i don't use PGP on email. I use another program when need to talk more with someone and that have already encryption on their side.

And i agree with you to hold coins your wallet, some traders hold some coin on exchanges so they can trade when they want.
I definitely don't disagree with keeping some funds on an exchange, especially if you're an active trader but you shouldn't use it as your wallet.

What about for calls like on Telegram, Zoom, or Google? Do you think our conversations are secured? I know in Zoom you can put the option of end2end encryption.
Activity: 1414
Merit: 516
Well i ussually only send emails but not using so much, and no i don't use PGP on email. I use another program when need to talk more with someone and that have already encryption on their side.

And i agree with you to hold coins your wallet, some traders hold some coin on exchanges so they can trade when they want.
Cobain of Crypto
What safety measures do you take to protect your privacy? I'm all about physical authentication but would love to learn more from the crypto community. Do you talk with PGP encryption on every email?  Wink
Cobain of Crypto
How is your privacy valued? Do you really know if your information stored is safe and secure?

I've learned in the long run that using SMS verification, password vaults, and other forms of so-called 'security' are not as secure as you would think. Hacking occurs daily, ESPECIALLY in the blockchain industry. We as individuals need to take measures to protect ourselves and our data.

A few forms of security measures most people mistake:

- SMS authentication / 2FA
Your phone number is NOT secure. People can hack into your phone number and tap into your messages, calls, etc. How do you think the feds bust most of your favorite criminals? Google Authenticator and Authy are OK, but still have the risk as they're connected to your phone number/email. Physical 2FA is the best option to go with. Hardware-based security keys provide a fast, no-fuss way to use two-factor authentication without having to mess around with your phone with. Some examples include YubiKey's, Thetus Fido, or the Google Tian key.

- Uploading your Bitcoin / Crypto Wallets
These are the absolute worst methods of holding your BTC or other digital assets. If you've been exposed by a keylogger, you can kiss your private key that is stored on your computer goodbye, alongside with your JSON file. Even though it is protected by a password, it's not like it would be hard to find after they're inside the guts of your computer... Your best bet is to use cold storage wallet if you're purchasing as an investment as it's physical and you are the only person who has access to this wallet via mnemonic phrase or seed access. Some good wallets to use are Ledger Nano (my favorite), Trezor, or BitBox. (PS: NEVER LEAVE FUNDS ON AN EXCHANGE- YOU DO NOT OWN THAT WALLET)

- Everyday Messaging
You would like your conversations online are secure right? Wrong. Remember back in 2018 when Mark Zuckerberg went into that big court case because your data wasn't necessarily being sold off, but access to you was being sold. You can also download your whole Facebook life in one large PDF file that has EVERYTHING- even stuff you deleted and old messages. With new GDPR rules, most web browsers collect all of the data you input and register within the domain. Scary stuff. Most messaging apps are not secure, especially if they're being bought by tech giants like Facebook. I use to think WhatsApp was secure until the acquisition with Facebook took place. Some of the safest messaging apps you can use right now would be Signal, Line, or Email. The only way these can be accessed is if there was a leak. Be careful what you talk about online.

There are a few blockchain projects that are taking the initiative for those who really value their privacy like Monero, ZCash, Dash, etc. I've got my eyes on a few other projects that are more focused towards the encryption of transactions and conversations. This article here inspired me to write this post as every day there's always some news about a business being compromised due to basics of security.

Read more about data security and privacy: https://www.techbullion.com/as-hacker-activity-rises-we-need-to-take-measures-to-protect-ourselves/

Pages:
Jump to: