Pages:
Author

Topic: Why is everyone so gullible? - page 2. (Read 1804 times)

Activity: 728
Merit: 500
May 15, 2014, 12:19:52 PM
When you have used a service for a decent amount of time without issues, your default assumption isn't that you are being scammed. That would be a really cynical was to look at everything.

Incorrect.

If the service is not independently audited, is not regulated, and is not insured by a reliable and trustworthy underwriter, then assuming that you are always being scammed is the ONLY way to protect yourself from loss.  Without proof that a services claims are legitimate, you should always assume that all services are lying.

This is the way I think... and I have not been scammed yet.

And that is why you are smarter than most
Activity: 28
Merit: 0
May 15, 2014, 11:55:34 AM
When you have used a service for a decent amount of time without issues, your default assumption isn't that you are being scammed. That would be a really cynical was to look at everything.

Incorrect.

If the service is not independently audited, is not regulated, and is not insured by a reliable and trustworthy underwriter, then assuming that you are always being scammed is the ONLY way to protect yourself from loss.  Without proof that a services claims are legitimate, you should always assume that all services are lying.

This is the way I think... and I have not been scammed yet.
legendary
Activity: 1039
Merit: 1005
May 15, 2014, 11:53:05 AM
As an example, if you wonder into a desert and it hasn't rained in a week, you might naturally trust that rain isn't likely.  As a survival trait, this would lead you to avoid the desert as uninhabitable. This natural tendency to trust that what you (and others around you) have experienced in the past is likely to continue in the future is exactly the type of tendency that scammers are aware of and take advantage of.

Interestingly, "More people drown in deserts than die of thirst." (source: http://pubs.usgs.gov/gip/deserts/features/ - don't know how accurate the statistics are.)
So just as you should be careful in selecting a camp site when you happen to be in a desert because there might be a rain flood, you should be careful in dealing with external entities managing your money because they might go under even though your experience would lead you to trust them.

Onkel Paul
legendary
Activity: 3472
Merit: 4794
May 15, 2014, 11:42:10 AM
Incorrect.

This. Would you take $50,000 of fiat money and deposit it into some brand new bank, some business you don't know on the OTHER SIDE OF THE PLANET? With no way to contact the owner(s) in person?

No, you fucking wouldn't. Because that'd be absolutely 100% moronic. And that's exactly what thousands of folks did with Mt. Gox.

Hopefully these fools learned their lesson.

Not fools, and not moronic.

As a society, we've all been trained to trust in Brands.

MtGox as a brand existed for several years.  Many people were aware of it, and it was talked about in the news.  This brand awareness led to a false sense of trust and security in the same way that we trust the Coca Cola company to actually put Coca Cola in the can that we drink, and we trust McDonald's not to make their burgers out of dead rats.

On top of that many people seem to have developed a habit of trusting those who haven't scammed yet.  If entity XYZ has been around for a while, and there aren't significant reports of loss yet, then people seem to feel that this is evidence that loss is unlikely.  I sometimes wonder if this is an evolved trait that must be overcome with constant focus on the reality of the situation.

As an example, if you wonder into a desert and it hasn't rained in a week, you might naturally trust that rain isn't likely.  As a survival trait, this would lead you to avoid the desert as uninhabitable. This natural tendency to trust that what you (and others around you) have experienced in the past is likely to continue in the future is exactly the type of tendency that scammers are aware of and take advantage of.
Activity: 784
Merit: 1000
https://youtu.be/PZm8TTLR2NU
May 15, 2014, 11:26:28 AM
Incorrect.

This. Would you take $50,000 of fiat money and deposit it into some brand new bank, some business you don't know on the OTHER SIDE OF THE PLANET? With no way to contact the owner(s) in person?

No, you fucking wouldn't. Because that'd be absolutely 100% moronic. And that's exactly what thousands of folks did with Mt. Gox.

Hopefully these fools learned their lesson.
legendary
May 15, 2014, 11:19:01 AM

Incorrect.

If the service is not independently audited, is not regulated, and is not insured by a reliable and trustworthy underwriter, then assuming that you are always being scammed is the ONLY way to protect yourself from loss.  Without proof that a services claims are legitimate, you should always assume that all services are lying.

I hear what you are saying, but correct me if I am wrong, there have only been publicly disclosed audits after the whole Gox fallout...  Prior to that, exchanges were not freely disclosing their balance sheets? 

Which is why I never held any balance on any exchange for any longer than absolutely necessary to complete the task at hand.  That's also why I always assumed that the balance that I transferred to an exchange would disappear before I could regain control of it, and therefore never held more at a time on an exchange than I could bear to lose without feeling devastated.

legendary
Activity: 1456
Merit: 1001
This is the land of wolves now & you're not a wolf
May 15, 2014, 11:12:10 AM

Incorrect.

If the service is not independently audited, is not regulated, and is not insured by a reliable and trustworthy underwriter, then assuming that you are always being scammed is the ONLY way to protect yourself from loss.  Without proof that a services claims are legitimate, you should always assume that all services are lying.

I hear what you are saying, but correct me if I am wrong, there have only been publicly disclosed audits after the whole Gox fallout...  Prior to that, exchanges were not freely disclosing their balance sheets? 
legendary
May 15, 2014, 10:40:02 AM

Incorrect.

legendary
Activity: 1456
Merit: 1001
This is the land of wolves now & you're not a wolf
May 15, 2014, 10:25:37 AM
[–]pmarches 127 points 1 year ago
Does mtgox run as a fractional exchange? Meaning, do you have 100% of the bitcoins your users have deposited in your system?

[–]WeAreMtGox 301 points 1 year ago
NO. Everything is accounted for (BTC and money). Fractional reserve is absolutely against our principles. In fact 90~95% of BTC are held in cold storage.

[–]W-Z-R 125 points 1 year ago
This has significantly improved my confidence in you guys, good to hear.

[–]cynoclast 5 points 1 year ago
They're not shady like bankers.

Decries banks being able to loan out your deposits, yet doesn't want to pay banks fees. Then loses their entire deposit, still pays transaction fees.

Bitcoin.txt

It's hard to say that people were gullible, when most were able to transact on Gox without problems back then.  When you have used a service for a decent amount of time without issues, your default assumption isn't that you are being scammed. That would be a really cynical was to look at everything.
Activity: 271
Merit: 250
May 15, 2014, 09:54:56 AM
[–]pmarches 127 points 1 year ago
Does mtgox run as a fractional exchange? Meaning, do you have 100% of the bitcoins your users have deposited in your system?

[–]WeAreMtGox 301 points 1 year ago
NO. Everything is accounted for (BTC and money). Fractional reserve is absolutely against our principles. In fact 90~95% of BTC are held in cold storage.

[–]W-Z-R 125 points 1 year ago
This has significantly improved my confidence in you guys, good to hear.

[–]cynoclast 5 points 1 year ago
They're not shady like bankers.

Decries banks being able to loan out your deposits, yet doesn't want to pay banks fees. Then loses their entire deposit, still pays transaction fees.

Bitcoin.txt
Pages:
Jump to: