Pages:
Author

Topic: Why is there a penny bot? - page 2. (Read 2764 times)

legendary
Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010
January 17, 2013, 10:35:01 PM
There is a robot that executes very small trades apparently to astroturf the mtgox last trade price.  My question is why would someone spend perfectly good money to do that?

A lot of merchants set their exchange rate based on the current best bid at Mt. Gox bid, or on Mt. Gox last.  So if you are buying something of a larger value from a merchant that uses best bid as the rate, then it usually is worth the money to narrow the spread a little.  You can trade a few pennies on Mt. Gox and as a result maybe save a few dollars (or a lot more) by getting a better price quote from the merchant.

Coinbase is one such bitcoin seller that uses best bid.

I was thinking there would be a service by now that one could pay and it would attempt to raise the best bid.   Maybe someone has done this and that's what you are seeing.
Activity: 686
Merit: 500
Shame on everything; regret nothing.
January 17, 2013, 10:08:26 PM
There is a robot that executes very small trades apparently to astroturf the mtgox last trade price.  My question is why would someone spend perfectly good money to do that?

To make you post this question.
Activity: 663
Merit: 501
quarkchain.io
January 17, 2013, 09:52:40 PM
There is a robot that executes very small trades apparently to astroturf the mtgox last trade price.  My question is why would someone spend perfectly good money to do that?
Pages:
Jump to: