Pages:
Author

Topic: Why isn't there a single purpose bitcoin hardware wallet ??? - page 2. (Read 3341 times)

legendary
Activity: 1096
Merit: 1067
I originally thought the Trezor was a Bitcoin safe rather than just keeping your bitcoins safe - been hoping for a standalone device but must be in the minority - there's nothing more uninspiring than Bitcons on a USB stick.

Activity: 188
Merit: 100
Actually, this is what I want too. But make the device robust. G-Shock robust. Cover it with scales, so you won’t drop it easily, and put a lanyard on it so you can’t drop it at all, say, when you are sightseeing at Niagara Falls and transferring BTC to a client...

Or what if Casio made an actual G-Shock Bitcoin wallet? More useful than Tide information in Omaha I’d say. Although I still want sunrise/sunset alarms. That’s just me though.

Many options exist for security, I won’t go into them here.

And just as some coin wallets have numerous compartments for whatever, being able to hold several different currencies might not be a bad idea. Mintchip, anyone? And some fiat as well, for gasoline/snack purchases maybe. Cambodian Tire money? Timbitcoins?
Activity: 490
Merit: 501
you can not have a totally offline device for an online reality.
legendary
Activity: 1204
Merit: 1001
RUM AND CARROTS: A PIRATE LIFE FOR ME
Is http://www.bitcointrezor.com/ just being poorly marketed or what?

It's kinda like apple where their stuff wasn't really useful until it had a large support ecosystem. If web services and exchanges started integrating Trezor into their security, they would be more useful, but Trezor relies on a different type of security model for handling bitcoin. It will really be only for desktop clients or other bitcoin services that are under your physical control. It would be nice for blockchain to support it though (I'm sure they will) until using it is simpler, or the things to use it with are more widespread, it will remain a niche product.  Although I plan to buy one quite soon.
Activity: 280
Merit: 250

The market is smaller than people think.
legendary
Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008
If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat
now they have ways to lose the coins both physically and electronically
Thanks to a security passphrase even losing the gadget means no risk to your bitcoins' ownership.
legendary
Activity: 938
Merit: 1000
What's a GPU?
Activity: 116
Merit: 10
I think that the majority of people who use bitcoin already own smartphones (massive generalization, but chances are if you're savvy enough to use bitcoin, you're savvy enough to own a smartphone).  I know that I, owning a smartphone, wouldn't want to carry something else with me.  One of the (many) conveniences of bitcoin is that it eliminates the need to carry a wallet full of cash; I think having a hardware wallet seems a little redundant to me.  As for those that aren't tech savvy enough to use a smartphone, I think giving them a hardware wallet would be even worse; now they have ways to lose the coins both physically and electronically.  Just my two satoshis.
legendary
Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008
If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat
I would pay nothing because I'd just use a usb drive if I wanted to store bitcoins offline
Here we have an example of someone who understood exactly NOTHING about the thread
Activity: 52
Merit: 0
I would pay nothing because I'd just use a usb drive if I wanted to store bitcoins offline

There is a world of difference between a wallet and a cold storage device.
Activity: 140
Merit: 100
There is.. Its called Trezor and available for pre-order.

you clearly did not read my post.
Why do we still have to use multiple purpose hardware like smartphones and pc for wallets ? Ever since I have known bitcoin I have been waiting for a secure hardware wallet for sending and receiving bitcoins so to introduce bitcoin to my family and people around me that aren't tech savy enough to keep their bitcoins safe. And don't tell me that trezor is a wallet it is just way secure your wallet.

We could put up a bounty for the development of of an open source hardware wallet.

by single purpose hardware wallet I mean something like the bitcoincard but no need for the mesh network nor for it to be this thin and small =v        

Pages:
Jump to: