Pages:
Author

Topic: Why Latin American economies are turning to bitcoin - page 2. (Read 3080 times)

legendary
Activity: 1582
Merit: 1064
For bitcoin to really take off we would need to have access to the internet,which in some parts of South America is limited,like Africa.
I know Zukerburg is trying to bring internet to Africa,hopefully South America is next,I do realize the logistics is different with the mountains but man it would help people out. Internet access and then bitcoin use would have to sneak in quickly behind.
Imagine it would get rid of a lot of the infighting that happens over coup attempts and elections.

They have bigger problems then having a need for bitcoin right now. Like food and healthcare.
Obama visit to most of the bigger South American countries this week has shown that. Cuba is so close to the US it is a surprise the way they are the way they are now without any North American influence.

People need to ensure that the value of their money doesn't diminish rapidly. People don't "need" Bitcoin. It just is a way to escape the government taking wealth away from the people through inflation. Expect Latin American governments to crack down hard on Bitcoin. Venezuela is already leading the way.

Nobody is turning to Bitcoin. Where do you see that?Venezuela  is arresting people for using Bitcoin. Get lost .  Grin Grin Grin

https://www.cryptocoinsnews.com/report-two-venezuelans-arrested-mining-bitcoin/

Venezuela is arresting people because Bitcoin is getting more popular.
Have a look at the volume trend.

Activity: 728
Merit: 500
EtherSphere - Social Games
This is why bitcoin will not completely be accepted in all the corners of the world. Authoritative countries such as this that are making criminals out of miners or people who are wanting to use bitcoin such as in Russia where they are banning it's use and will probably arrest people who they are suspecting that are using it. Can't believe in this day and age that you have to go underground to use a technology that can help people out in their daily lives.
legendary
Activity: 1470
Merit: 1004
For bitcoin to really take off we would need to have access to the internet,which in some parts of South America is limited,like Africa.
I know Zukerburg is trying to bring internet to Africa,hopefully South America is next,I do realize the logistics is different with the mountains but man it would help people out. Internet access and then bitcoin use would have to sneak in quickly behind.
Imagine it would get rid of a lot of the infighting that happens over coup attempts and elections.

They have bigger problems then having a need for bitcoin right now. Like food and healthcare.
Obama visit to most of the bigger South American countries this week has shown that. Cuba is so close to the US it is a surprise the way they are the way they are now without any North American influence.

People need to ensure that the value of their money doesn't diminish rapidly. People don't "need" Bitcoin. It just is a way to escape the government taking wealth away from the people through inflation. Expect Latin American governments to crack down hard on Bitcoin. Venezuela is already leading the way.

Nobody is turning to Bitcoin. Where do you see that?Venezuela  is arresting people for using Bitcoin. Get lost .  Grin Grin Grin

legendary
Activity: 1582
Merit: 1064

Activity: 252
Merit: 250
BetcoinRakeback.com

Pab
legendary
Activity: 1862
Merit: 1012
Are thay really most of Latin America countrys hve very weak currencys and high inflation
But be realistic bicoin has to to small liquidity to solve his problems
Activity: 98
Merit: 10
★YoBit.Net★ 350+ Coins Exchange & Dice
Activity: 854
Merit: 500
Maybe they have a low price on electricity and it's a good for mining also they trying to find a money for living cause a lot unempoyment people there.
BetcoinRakeback.com
Argentina's new presiente is nuts as I saw on 60 mintues tonight  Cheesy
legendary
Activity: 1470
Merit: 1004
Pure LIES and manipulation. Smiley     Nobody is turning to Bitcoin.

Activity: 93
Spendabit is a search engine for Bitcoin
Imagine bitcoin is a really scary issue for South American Countries since a lot of them have a hard time as it is keeping the currency a float.
If it was to gain traction enough if could sweep right through South America and really shake up the system in place. The only issue is internet access for these isolated villages and you would have to make it really easy to use.

The control would be lost for some of these Countries if they can not use the banking system against the people.

Bitcoin received "regulated" status in Brazil in 2013, whatever that means.
Activity: 98
★YoBit.Net★ 350+ Coins Exchange & Dice
Imagine bitcoin is a really scary issue for South American Countries since a lot of them have a hard time as it is keeping the currency a float.
If it was to gain traction enough if could sweep right through South America and really shake up the system in place. The only issue is internet access for these isolated villages and you would have to make it really easy to use.

The control would be lost for some of these Countries if they can not use the banking system against the people.
legendary
Activity: 1137
Merit: 1035
Bitcoin accepted here
BetcoinRakeback.com
Arresting miners? Don't the law enforcement agenecies have better criminals to go after like Drug Dealers or something  Undecided
legendary
Activity: 1652
Merit: 1088
CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!
legendary
Activity: 2912
Merit: 1852
I live in Argentina and I find it very difficult to find brickand motor locations that accept bitcoins.   There is ONE web site and there is rampant confiscation of things by customs.  So bitcoins are a long term investment here ONLY.   Whenever I ask whether a shop accepts bitcoin they either say noor they still don't know what it is.

sdp

I know two guys way into BTC who on occasion go to Argentina (their native land), they tell me that the scene is lively with traders but (as you report) there are few outlets to SPEND.

BTC also goes for a high premium there, as it does protect a BTC holder against the weak currency.

But the country in S. America I know best is Peru.  Almost NOTHING going on in Peru even though their economy is now weakening.  Peru allows free convertibility of their currency vs. the US dollar (their big grocery store chain accepts dollars and "soles").
sdp
Activity: 469
Merit: 281
I live in Argentina and I find it very difficult to find brickand motor locations that accept bitcoins.   There is ONE web site and there is rampant confiscation of things by customs.  So bitcoins are a long term investment here ONLY.   Whenever I ask whether a shop accepts bitcoin they either say noor they still don't know what it is.

sdp

No worries, I am sure Argentina wi pick things up soon. It is no doubt that bitcoin is most economy way to move coins across border.  Also, from wiki:

It was around 4 pesos per US dollar from 2009 to 2011, surpassed 6 pesos in November 2013, sat at 6.5 pesos per dollar during December 2013. As of October 2014, the exchange rate was about 8 pesos per dollar, by February 2015, it was 9 per USD, and by December of 2015, 13 pesos per USD, after a record of 14.

Do you think keep Peso is inferior to bitcoin?

You just showed me statistics that support that the us dollar bills are superior to pesos.   Though for one year of putting away some money in bitcoins are appropriate, there is the spread between buys and sells,  so it makes more sense in a very short term to keep pesos for basic living expenses.  The rule is if you might spend it within two months or less keep local currency.

sdp
Well some of the currencies have less intrinsic value than goat shit.......... Smiley (i stole that from andreas)

Bless you for leading the train of though to this very special place:
http://www.extension.umn.edu/agriculture/manure-management-and-air-quality/manure-application/calculator/

I certainly would never have crossed paths with it otherwise!  Shocked
Activity: 1092
Merit: 520
Well some of the currencies have less intrinsic value than goat shit.......... Smiley (i stole that from andreas)

Good read, thanks. Do we think Brazil is maybe the next big Bitcoin frontier? As I understand they're in real trouble while the real (currency) is tanking.
Pages:
Jump to: