Pages:
Author

Topic: Why use Bitcoin mixers? - page 2. (Read 278 times)

Activity: 1155
Merit: 77
March 28, 2023, 05:44:33 PM
Electrum wallet is not a privacy wallet and the unused addresses you see on the electrum wallet can be linked to the wallet owner. Besides, there's a way of getting the IP address of the wallet owner through an electrum wallet and this is the reason why people make use of a Bitcoin mixer or privacy wallet when anonymity is important.
Activity: 32
Merit: 128
March 28, 2023, 04:03:44 PM
Bitcoin mixers have the potential to be used for illegal activities, such as money laundering or funding criminal activities. Therefore, it is important to use a reputable and trustworthy mixer service, and to ensure that the mixer does not keep any logs or records of transactions.

Come on... just saying it increases privacy or fungibility would be enough, money laundering and funding criminal activities are mostly done by using fiat, so please avoid this gouv propaganda  Wink

About logs I do agree, and if you are concerned about this, using a non custodial coinjoin solution would be better than using a bitcoin mixer.
Activity: 28
Merit: 1
March 28, 2023, 02:26:10 PM
When you use a Bitcoin mixer, your Bitcoin transactions are mixed with other users' transactions, making it more difficult for anyone to trace the transaction back to you. A mixer works by receiving your Bitcoin, mixing it with other users' Bitcoin, and then sending it back to you in smaller, randomized amounts through different addresses, making it difficult to track the movement of the fund,it's important to note that Bitcoin mixers have the potential to be used for illegal activities, such as money laundering or funding criminal activities. Therefore, it is important to use a reputable and trustworthy mixer service, and to ensure that the mixer does not keep any logs or records of transactions.
legendary
Activity: 3668
Merit: 6382
Looking for campaign manager? Contact icopress!
March 28, 2023, 01:51:49 PM
Would I achieve the same result if I were to move the bitcoins through these addresses on my Electrum wallet as opposed to using a mixer?

Normally a mixer breaks the link between the inputs and outputs. Meaning that you get back money that's not obtained from shuffling around your own coins. So normally the answer is no.

On the other hand, CoinJoin is also considered mixing. And afaik CoinJoin does not break the link, hence, if you are keen to do that in your own wallet, you may (but it requires so many operations you don't want to do that by hand).
Activity: 8
Merit: 0
March 28, 2023, 01:22:27 PM
I'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to Bitcoin mixers, I believe the general idea of using a mixer is to maintain anonymity and privacy.
The way I  understand how mixers work is they mix the Bitcoin through different addresses so the inputs and outputs won't match. Electrum wallet has a number of unused addresses that one can use. Would I achieve the same result if I were to move the bitcoins through these addresses on my Electrum wallet as opposed to using a mixer?
Pages:
Jump to: