Pages:
Author

Topic: Why would you mine with anything BUT a PPS pool? - page 3. (Read 6538 times)

legendary
Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010
Activity: 98
Merit: 10
[..] I'm the type of miner who leaves his miners alone and lets them run 24/7. I just prefer to let them go that way rather than sit and change them around all day.

This is a common misunderstanding. Pool hopping usually is automated. So you just leave the pool hopping software alone and let it run 24/7.
Activity: 187
Merit: 100
Good point about pool hopping. I didn't mention that in my post because I don't understand how to do it and I don't care to know. I assume that pool hopping can be more profitable than pure PPS if you do it right but I'm the type of miner who leaves his miners alone and lets them run 24/7. I just prefer to let them go that way rather than sit and change them around all day. I should also mention that I mine solely for profit, which is the idea that I based my comparison on.

Also, I didn't mean to knock pools with different payouts than pure PPS. Obviously it is important to both the BTC community and the currency itself to have a diverse base of followers and means of generating BTCs.
Activity: 187
Merit: 100
I was trying some different pools this week for analysis on payout totals and came to realize that my PPS pool blew the others away by a significant amount. Proportional and score-based pools whose names I won't mention seemed to max out my reward per round at about 0.3BTC. While I would reach the max relatively quickly, a couple of hours at the most, I found that each round had a tendency to go on for several days at a time. For my hash rate, an average of 0.1BTC per day was not what I was expecting. Then I spent some time in a PPS pool, running the same hardware at the same hash rates and this consistently produced slightly over 1BTC per day. Very impressive, compared to what I was used to getting from other style pools. The PPS pool has a very desirable setup in terms of its fee and the account features it offers.

As far as mining with a prop/score based pool, I can't speak for others with hash rates different from my own, but wouldn't this ring true for everybody? The only way I could think of where these pools would be competitive is if each round finished up within under 8 hours, and, as you all know, the time it takes for a round to finish up is completely unpredictable, even for the bigger pools.

So based on my findings, I'm curious what type of pool works best for others. I'm interested to know if anybody has a similar experience to my own, or if anyone has found their results to be different than the one I wrote about.
Pages:
Jump to: