Pages:
Author

Topic: WILL BFL BE OFFERING A SMALLER VERSION OF THE MONARCH? - page 2. (Read 2465 times)

legendary
Activity: 1204
Merit: 1002
RUM AND CARROTS: A PIRATE LIFE FOR ME
What would be the point? By the time it comes out it WILL be the small version.
Activity: 616
Merit: 500
Better question: Will BFL be around in a year? It's looking unlikely. There's mounting legal force against them in their state, and they're already being monitored. They can delete my posts about it on their forum, but they can't do it here. Easily. LOL.

Their production lines have almost come to a halt over the past 12 days minus a few large items (go check their daily work log). That's always a good sign right?

Could surprise us all and ship out like 200 things tomorrow, so who knows right?
Activity: 274
Merit: 250
I'd pay too much to get one next September sometime.

...Actually I'll hold out to pay too much for whatever the first 28nm version to market of the USB block erupter is =)
legendary
Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473
LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper
It would be called the ...

"MONA"

Just like the rest of what they do, they would half-ass the project before fulfilling obligations to customers.
legendary
Activity: 952
Merit: 1000
when they start shipping monarchs, those cards will be used as space heaters in Alaska.
You joke, but people have already been using GPUs for electric heaters for the past few years. Buy in 3-4kUSD worth of GPUs, mine with 4kW of heat, and then sell them all in the spring. What you mine more than covers your electricity costs, and even covers the hardware depreciation over the 6 month span. It takes some initial investment, but you end up heating your house for almost nothing.
Activity: 728
Merit: 500
cryptoshark
when they start shipping monarchs, those cards will be used as space heaters in Alaska.

Activity: 330
Merit: 250
I was hoping for a 300Gh/s unit called Dr. Girlfriend.
The 600gh/s uses two chips so a single chip is possible.

Water cooling?
legendary
Yes they will once they realise they can't properly cool the 600GH/s version.
I'm kinda curious how they expect to cool 350W of heat in a double wide PCIe factor. Even a 5970 only uses ~300W. A 6990 is 375W, but that uses a heatsink on both sides of the fan for more even cooling. It can be done, but I'd rather see the airflow all move one direction.

The only nice thing I can think of is that the card wont need any external ports, so it can fill both PCI brackets with vents. Look at how much airflow is wasted to accomodate the external connectors:

Now imagine if the back, top, and sides of the card were completely sealed (think 5970 style), and the entire PCI bracket was one big exhaust vent. I'd imagine the airflow would be pretty decent leaving a computer case. It's hard to see, but you can see the same idea being used Here.
vip
Activity: 756
Merit: 503
Yes they will once they realise they can't properly cool the 600GH/s version.
legendary
Henchman 1 would be a 100GH/s card?
Henchman 2 would be a 200GH/s card?
Etc.

That sounds like an awesome idea. I'd be up for that.
legendary
Activity: 883
Merit: 1005
Did anyone else make this connection?
Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2zEh9zgbXk

He must have seen my post and agreed with me.
Activity: 798
Merit: 531
Crypto is King.
Pages:
Jump to: