Pages:
Author

Topic: Will Bitcoin survive if the USD fails? - page 2. (Read 3587 times)

Activity: 350
Merit: 251
June 27, 2013, 02:15:22 PM
short answer - of course it will. the world doesn't revolve around america.
But it does, sadly. Lots of places use the USD as a standard in a way. Oil is priced in it worldwide.
Activity: 287
Merit: 250
June 27, 2013, 01:58:08 PM

I agree that the US is not the center of the world, however the international currency of the world is USD.

If the USD were to collapse (which it won't) a lot of very scary stuff will happen in a lot of places where the USD is the main currency (mainly the US). Probably as bad as what happened around Katrina or worse. I think most of the local IT infrastructure in the US would not hold up. It's pretty hard to trade BTC without access to the blockchain.

As for the rest of the world I am not sure what would happen (assuming local currencies don't crash). I am assuming most parts of the internet will stay up.
Activity: 46
Merit: 0
June 27, 2013, 01:57:52 PM
Failure of US$ does not equate to failure of the internet.
Activity: 896
Merit: 532
Former curator of The Bitcoin Museum
June 27, 2013, 11:27:09 AM
Activity: 350
Merit: 251
June 27, 2013, 09:19:18 AM
Many people seem to treat Bitcoin like silver or gold, that if the USD were to collapse, their wealth would be safe in bitcoin.

Metals and Bitcoin:
1. Derives value from rarity and difficulty to obtain more.

Metals:
1. Value universally understood (99/100 people will accept gold after a collapse, 1/100 will accept bitcoin).
2. Does not require a network to trade.

Bitcoins:
1. If stored correctly, impossible for thieves to steal, or governments to sieze.
2. No complex measurements to verify authenticity, purity, and volume.

Bitcoin may have some advantages over gold, but it also has some fundamental disadvantages (such as requiring a network to trade). For this reason, I would not be comfortable relying on Bitcoin for an economic collapse. What does everyone else think?
Pages:
Jump to: