Pages:
Author

Topic: Will countries launching their own cryptocurrencies affect bitcoin? - page 2. (Read 4488 times)

legendary
Activity: 3430
Merit: 1280
English ⬄ Russian Translation Services
And what does it have to do with the creation of a new blockchain based government currency?

I guess this is about the involvement of banking system with cryptocurrency. How do you think a centralized cryptocurrency would work? Through banking system only. It is cryptocurrency because it is using distributed ledger/blockchain technology and digitalized tokens of fiat. Without involving banking system it would be just another decentralized currency like bitcoin

You are apparently confusing two adjacent but still different things

Namely, a payment system with a currency. In case of Bitcoin these are essentially the same. But this is not so in respect to fiat currencies. First, there is cash which has absolutely nothing to do with digital fiat. They are entirely different systems of money itself (not even payment systems as such) which don't intersect, though they still represent the same currency. If we talk about digital fiat, there can be numerous ways in which payments can be made, for example, through wire transfers, card-to-card payments, payment processors, etc. What you try to explain here refers to yet another payment system, not a new currency per se
legendary
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1007
Yes because if there would be cryptos in their country they would try to make use of it.  And since it is new its price still low and many could afford it.  It will affect the bitcoin but not that much.  Cause prices of cryptos in their country would depend on bitcoin .  
There are already countries that are trying to roll out their own cryptos (and I believe Russia has one that they're developing right now) but they're always going to be nothing more than a form of digitalized fiat that will do absolutely nothing to the market aside from trying to follow a fad and appear to be relevant. If countries started to produce their own cryptos that incorporated systems for contracts and the like, then we would have an interesting competitor. Since that doesn't exist, they're all no better than just fiat and essentially worthless compared against other cryptos.
Activity: 588
Merit: 256
Yes all that can happen if it is bitcoin already widely accepted by all countries and can be inaugurated its existence because if until now bitcoin not only can be inaugurated by some countries how can the country is able to create crypto for each country itself.
Activity: 2198
Merit: 847
If don't talk only about bitcoin and see coins market cup, we will see that there are ethereum, litecoin and etc very serious altcoins which even are better than bitcoin but still can't beat bitcoin. So imagine new coin launched by countries which everyone knows will be manipulated, how will it be more popular than safe and anonymous bitcoin? There is no way and also before bitcoin they have to beat altcoins and that's very hard.
Activity: 2324
Merit: 454
This kind of actions are already been done by other or most of the big countries because they think that it is too late to adopt bitcoin so they just try to make their own and get profit from it and we can see that nothing affects bitcoin because it is a very strong currency and also the king of all the cryptocurrency in the market so it is not that easy to get affected by just a small cryptocurrency.
Activity: 994
Merit: 544
Yes because if there would be cryptos in their country they would try to make use of it.  And since it is new its price still low and many could afford it.  It will affect the bitcoin but not that much.  Cause prices of cryptos in their country would depend on bitcoin .  
legendary
Activity: 1470
Merit: 1078
There could be two reasons why a government would want to launch their own cryptocurrency:

1. To limit the usage of bitcoins by their citizens.
2. Solely because they want to upgrade their financial system through blockchain technology. They know it has future and are well aware that this technology could be implemented in many fields, what better place than to launch a cryptocurrency.

https://www.cryptocoinsnews.com/singapores-central-bank-tokenizes-dollar-via-ethereum-blockchain/

Singapore tested digital dollar via private electrum blockchain

As to me, it is a strange way to limit the use of decentralized cryptocurrencies

Did you read about it somewhere or it was entirely your own fantasy to somehow justify the original claim? Other than that, I don't really see how blockchain can help governments. Note that the question is not about money transfers as such (which is what your link is about), it is about creating a new government currency based on the blockchain technology which would circulate along with a local currency. I guess you will have to explain how this "upgrade" could make the existing fiat systems both more efficient and effective

Not fantasizing. I did not make any claim, it was just a question, a hypothetical one

And what does it have to do with the creation of a new blockchain based government currency?

This is what the question is about if you missed the point. Further, it was said that "governments [...] want to "offer" population "their" coin so they will be able to control the movement of money". As you can see, this is quite different from what you say (the piece by the link you posted talks about money transfers, not making a new currency). Basically, what you say is inconsequential to the point that governments might want to create their own cryptocurrency. So why would they want that, i.e. create a separate coin based on the blockchain technology (apart from "limiting the usage of bitcoins by their citizens")?

You wanted to know why government want to launch their own cryptocurrency. Gave two reasons.

There could be two reasons why a government would want to launch their own cryptocurrency:

2. Solely because they want to upgrade their financial system through blockchain technology. They know it has future and are well aware that this technology could be implemented in many fields, what better place than to launch a cryptocurrency.

Why would government want to implement blockchain technology into their financial system?

The technology will simplify the payment process, reduce time take for transactions, enhance transparency and system resilience and reduce the cost of long term record keeping.

I guess this is about the involvement of banking system with cryptocurrency. How do you think a centralized cryptocurrency would work? Through banking system only. It is cryptocurrency because it is using distributed ledger/blockchain technology and digitalized tokens of fiat. Without involving banking system it would be just another decentralized currency like bitcoin.

The Monetary Authority of Singapore (MAS) has successfully completed a proof-of-concept pilot to explore the use of blockchain for interbank payments. Partnering with a consortium of financial institutions, blockchain infrastructure was used to produce a digital currency issued by MAS and methods were tested to connect bank systems through distributed ledger technology.

Activity: 642
Merit: 500
Countries may launch their own cryptocurrencies, but it will never affect . Altcoins do exist because of , but it will never be the opposite, that  do exist because of . But their price depends on , if the 's price is too high, then automatically Altcoins price would go on its DUMP state, and would be the other way around if 's price would be on its DUMP state.
i pretty  agree that it may effect the other altcoins but nothing to worry about bitcoin because being the first and being the father of all crypto currency it has its own representation in the market and i don't think so any of the cryptocurrency can effect its value or importance.
but the way many countries launching their own altcoin it will help both their economy  and importance of cryptocurrency..
Activity: 128
Merit: 100
I guess it is a matter of time until countries will start to use the blockchain technology.
I'm not sure that the blockchain based currencies will replace the fiat money even in 50 years.
The only question is whether countries and governments will ban the use of alt coins or will allow it to be another method of payment.
Activity: 616
Merit: 502
Countries may launch their own cryptocurrencies, but it will never affect bitcoin. Altcoins do exist because of bitcoin, but it will never be the opposite, that bitcoin do exist because of bitcoin. But their price depends on bitcoin, if the bitcoin's price is too high, then automatically Altcoins price would go on its DUMP state, and would be the other way around if bitcoin's price would be on its DUMP state.
legendary

https://www.cryptocoinsnews.com/singapores-central-bank-tokenizes-dollar-via-ethereum-blockchain/

As to me, it is a strange way to limit the use of decentralized cryptocurrencies

Did you read about it somewhere or it was entirely your own fantasy to somehow justify the original claim? Other than that, I don't really see how blockchain can help governments. Note that the question is not about money transfers as such (which is what your link is about), it is about creating a new government currency based on the blockchain technology which would circulate along with a local currency. I guess you will have to explain how this "upgrade" could make the existing fiat systems both more efficient and effective

Not fantasizing. I did not make any claim, it was just a question, a hypothetical one

This is what the question is about if you missed the point. Further, it was said that "governments [...] want to "offer" population "their" coin so they will be able to control the movement of money". As you can see, this is quite different from what you say (the piece by the link you posted talks about money transfers, not making a new currency). Basically, what you say is inconsequential to the point that governments might want to create their own cryptocurrency. So why would they want that, i.e. create a separate coin based on the blockchain technology (apart from "limiting the usage of bitcoins by their citizens")?
legendary
Yeah some countries are planning. I think India may launch its own. There were rumors about LaxmiCoin a few years back. Instead of legalizing bitcoin they may launch their own.

This is what all countries are going to do. They are not to ban Bitcoin or anything like that but bitcoin is not going to displace national currencies, this is not going to happen. Goverments will take advantage of this technology to create a "digital version" of national currencies and I think this will be good for bitcoin adoption. People will get use to digital currencies and when they know about bitcoin and realise that it can help them to keep their privacy in their transactions they will give it a try

People repeat the same nonsense year after year

All countries already have "digital versions" of their national currencies. In this way, they don't need to create anything since electronic money transfers (since this is what digital currency ultimately boils down to) existed decades before Internet itself was born. And what's more, the amount of digital fiat in most (if not all) countries by far exceeds the amount of cash in circulation. You seem to be posting from a very backward place or just severely uninformed (no offense intended)

My fault. When I said "digital versions" I should have specified that I was talking about "blockchain digital versions", I mean, they will create some kind of coin/token backed by fiat money a 1.1 ratio.

But what's the purpose of that?

If it will be a decentralized coin (something likely dubbed as "people's money"), they will be just starting another altcoin, which makes no sense since there are already quite a few altcoins sticking around (and even more kicked the bucket by now). If it will be centralized, then the whole idea makes no sense since they already have fiat which is by definition as centralized as fuck. There is simply no use for blockchain technology as far as fiat currencies are concerned

Those coins will be centralized, that´s for sure, and controlled. I guess the banks will play a key role. They are researching on blockchain technology time ago. About the purpose my guess is that goverments are seeing the potential o cryptocoins and want to "offer" population "their" coin so they will be able to control the movement of money, I am sure that there will be no privacy or anonymity with these coins

And what did come out of that?

I've heard such talks for years already but I haven't yet seen such a "coin" for real. And if it is centralized, who and how will be mining it if we talk about the blockchain technology? And why would they waste resources (electricity, labor, equipment) if they can just draw figures in the spreadsheet on their servers? Apart from that, how do you picture people "transacting" with this coin if it is issued by government and it won't be fiat? In other words, how will it be different from fiat, in practice?

Did you read about it somewhere or it was an entirely your own fantasy to somehow justify the original claim? Other than that, I don't really see how blockchain can help governments. Note that the question is not about money transfers as such (which is what your link is about), it is about creating a new government currency based on the blockchain technology which would circulate along with a local currency. I guess you will have to explain how this "upgrade" will make the existing fiat systems both more efficient and effective

Not fantasizing. I did not make any claim, it was just a question, a hypothetical one.

The Monetary Authority of Singapore (MAS) has successfully completed a proof-of-concept pilot to explore the use of blockchain for interbank payments. Partnering with a consortium of financial institutions, blockchain infrastructure was used to produce a digital currency issued by MAS and methods were tested to connect bank systems through distributed ledger technology. The technology will simplify the payment process, reduce time take for transactions, enhance transparency and system resilience and reduce the cost of long term record keeping. MAS is currently developing links from Singapore to other countries to enable DLT cross-border payments, and will test blockchain technology for bond trading. MAS is looking at this project as the first step in leveraging Blockchain to verify and reconcile trade finance invoices, verify the performance of contracts, keep an audit trail and deter money laundering.  

Time taken for transactions, transparency, system resilience, and reduction in cost of record keeping. All this is implemented into the existing fiat system by making it digital, guess it would be enough to "upgrade" the existing fiat system to make it more efficient and effective. Hope my explanation is satisfactory.
legendary
Yeah some countries are planning. I think India may launch its own. There were rumors about LaxmiCoin a few years back. Instead of legalizing bitcoin they may launch their own.

This is what all countries are going to do. They are not to ban Bitcoin or anything like that but bitcoin is not going to displace national currencies, this is not going to happen. Goverments will take advantage of this technology to create a "digital version" of national currencies and I think this will be good for bitcoin adoption. People will get use to digital currencies and when they know about bitcoin and realise that it can help them to keep their privacy in their transactions they will give it a try

All countries already have "digital versions" of their national currencies. In this way, they don't need to create anything since electronic money transfers (since this is what digital currency ultimately boils down to) existed decades before Internet itself was born. And what's more, the amount of digital fiat in most (if not all) countries by far exceeds the amount of cash in circulation. You seem to be posting from a very backward place or just severely uninformed (no offense intended)

My fault. When I said "digital versions" I should have specified that I was talking about "blockchain digital versions", I mean, they will create some kind of coin/token backed by fiat money a 1.1 ratio.

If it will be a decentralized coin (something likely dubbed as "people's money"), they will be just starting another altcoin, which makes no sense since there are already quite a few altcoins sticking around (and even more kicked the bucket by now). If it will be centralized, then the whole idea makes no sense since they already have fiat which is by definition as centralized as fuck. There is simply no use for blockchain technology as far as fiat currencies are concerned

Those coins will be centralized, that´s for sure, and controlled. I guess the banks will play a key role. They are researching on blockchain technology time ago. About the purpose my guess is that goverments are seeing the potential o cryptocoins and want to "offer" population "their" coin so they will be able to control the movement of money, I am sure that there will be no privacy or anonymity with these coins

I've heard such talks for years already but I haven't yet seen such a "coin" for real. And if it is centralized, who and how will be mining it if we talk about the blockchain technology? And why would they waste resources (electricity, labor, equipment) if they can just draw figures in the spreadsheet on their servers? Apart from that, how do you picture people "transacting" with this coin if it is issued by government and it won't be fiat? In other words, how will it be different from fiat, in practice?

legendary
Activity: 2912
Merit: 2066
Cashback 15%
I believe it when I see it. I'm still not sure what the point behind a govermental cryptocurrency / centralized blockchain is. Most fiat is already virtual anyways.
legendary

Singapore tested digital dollar via private electrum blockchain.

A working interbank transfer prototype on a private Ethereum blockchain network based on proof-of-concept (PoC)

We look forward to the next phases of our project which will develop trial applications for securities settlement and cross-border payments

Credit/debit, ATM, and other online payment options could be termed as electronic payment systems but from electronic to fully digitalize fiat, government needs cryptography/blockchain technology. Would it be similar to fiat? Yeah, centralized and it would share some major properties with fiat? Would it be similar to cryptocurrencies? Yeah, if blockchain technology is involved then there should be some similarities.

Most of the countries are going cashless now. Paypal is centralized, but still it has a huge user base solely because majority of people prefer convenience over being anonymous. A government backed cryptocurrency would get a lot of media attention + if it does have cryptocurrency properties then ease of access and quicker transactions would make it more preferable than credit/debit card + if it is available for day-to-day use it would get popular.

This is just simple logic, bitcoin is decentralized and the other centralized like fiat. People who want to use a decentralized pseudonymous currency would always stick to bitcoin and those who are using fiat might see a government backed cryptocurrency as something superior than credit/debit cards or other means of online payment system.

So in short, government would just be upgrading its financial system through the launch of its own cryptocurrency and it has no direct correlation with bitcoin, but indirectly it might slow down bitcoins growth to a small extent.

legendary

legendary
Activity: 2632
Merit: 1094
Till the people who are trading in bitcoins still continue to use it, it's not going to affect the currency. There were few countries that banned bitcoins as they noticed their citizens dropping the use of their fiat currency and using bitcoins which could harm their own economy. With bitcoins it's not the same and even if every country launches a similar cryptocurrency like bitcoin while the market of bitcoin remains the same, there won't be any change.
Activity: 82
Merit: 10
If each country launches their own cryptocurrencies, then what is the difference with fiat, each country has its own currency, can be controlled and regulated, if only make digital money, they do not need to launch their own cryptocurrencies, simply use their currency but in digital form , Such as credit or debit card
Activity: 1176
Merit: 501

Those coins will be centralized, that´s for sure, and controlled. I guess the banks will play a key role. They are researching on blockchain technology time ago. About the purpose my guess is that goverments are seeing the potential o cryptocoins and want to "offer" population "their" coin so they will be able to control the movement of money, I am sure that there will be no privacy or anonymity with these coins.
legendary

Pages:
Jump to: