Pages:
Author

Topic: Will GPU mining die soon because of ASICs invasion? - page 2. (Read 3618 times)

Activity: 28
Merit: 0
GPU mining is just hard to jump into now. I've hit a wall with money and I can't expand my farm to anything worthwhile yet.

As far as ASIC's go, they're developed for Bitcoin hashing, meaning that for anything else they're almost worthless which is nice if people need something to fall back on.
Activity: 873
Merit: 1007
Those GPUs will find a happy home in the altcoin mining arena, of which there are several new ones to play with.

The scrypt based coins are ASIC resistant (if not ASIC proof).
Activity: 308
Merit: 250
ancap
Those GPUs will find a happy home in the altcoin mining arena, of which there are several new ones to play with.
As long as there is profits and high ROI, ASICs will try to invade these alt coins. But some alt cryptocurrencies can prevent this invasion by using different system in which ASICs not work or work slower.
Activity: 798
Merit: 1000
www.DonateMedia.org
Activity: 140
Merit: 101
What do you guys think about this?

What happens if any GPU hit the market with 2 GH/s with solar powered unit? (Yeah, fantasy! just like cell phones in 80's)

GPU mining is a great way to repurpose old hardware especially if you're in an area with low electricity costs.

However the GPU mining applications don't need to go away even if costs of electricity skyrocket.

Most GPU miners use OpenCL.  There are now FPGAs on the market that can be programmed directly using OpenCL and exhibit performance exceeding that of my FPGA unit from Butterfly Labs.  More importantly, it's half the cost and uses 15 watts at full throttle.  It'll still take me a year or two to make back my initial investment.  But it is just re-using the GPU mining software.
Activity: 389
GPU mining won't die.

It'll just go to razor-thin profit margins and won't be worthwhile for many people to do.

Lol it's already at that point, yet some people continue to do so.

I hear this comment a lot, but I don't understand it.  Given current BTC prices, the RoI on my GPUs has been higher in April '13 than any months I've been mining.  Granted I'm not an old-timer, but have been mining since Jan 2012.
legendary
Activity: 2156
Merit: 1018
Buzz App - Spin wheel, farm rewards
Gotta say I'm pretty surprised at the rate of which difficulty is still rapidly increasing at, even when the price was sub $70.

I guess it falls into two camps:

1) New miners who jumped in this month with all the Bitcoin press who don't realize how fast the difficulty is going up

2) Established miners who already have everything all set up so there isn't much point of shutting down unless they are actually losing money.

Either way the good ole days of pretty profitable mining are gone (not that I was a part of this myself).  Getting into ASICS will require an investment, and they can't be resold or else-wise used like GPUs can.

Cry  "back in the good ole days..."
Activity: 378
GPU mining won't die.

It'll just go to razor-thin profit margins and won't be worthwhile for many people to do.

Lol it's already at that point, yet some people continue to do so.
legendary
Activity: 2156
Merit: 1018
Buzz App - Spin wheel, farm rewards
GPU mining won't die.

Activity: 308
ancap
What do you guys think about this?

What happens if any GPU hit the market with 2 GH/s with solar powered unit? (Yeah, fantasy! just like cell phones in 80's)
Pages:
Jump to: