Pages:
Author

Topic: Will my college dorm room be able to handle 3000W? - page 3. (Read 3620 times)

Activity: 381
Merit: 250
Hi, I'm new here.  I was thinking of buying this miner:
http://gawminers.com/collections/all-miners/products/shipped-pre-order-september-6-th-s-spondoolies-tech-sp30-yukon-batch-1

and bringing it to college to use it.  I live in a single room in a building that was created in the last 5 years.  While I don't know much about electricity and the like, I am worried that the miner I was going to buy will draw too much electricity.  I wouldn't want to cause a short or something like that.  I do not want to damage the room's electrical circuits/wall outlets.  I guess my main question is whether I'd be able to plug my bitcoin miner into a wall outlet and begin using it or if I'd need to take special precautions?  Would I have to use both the plugs that are provided with the miner? Or could I just plug it into one outlet?  Also do you guys have any tips I should keep in mind?  Any help is greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

Google says:
UK power outlet is rated at 240V and at 13A which works out to ~3120W
North America, a 120V receptacle is going to be on a 20A breaker; so ~2400W

Probably not, but maybe you could split the units draw between two outlets?

edit: Updated Information
Activity: 448
Merit: 250
Changing avatars is currently not possible.
I wouldn't do it. There are reasons, why safety regulations exist for outlets Wink
Activity: 350
Merit: 104
Not a good idea to put high load in your dorm room. The staff will notice and may take measure against you.
legendary
Activity: 1946
Merit: 1035
It most likely won't, i.e. it will trip the circuit breaker.

A typical outlet will be rated 10 amps, that would be about 1100W at 110V (US) or 2200W at 220V (Europe).

What should I do to make this work?  Is it even possible?

What is the voltage in your area, where do you live?

The only possibility that comes to my mind would be having 2 separate 220V circuits in your room, but it seems very unlikely to me.
Activity: 7
Merit: 0

A typical outlet will be rated 10 amps, that would be about 1100W at 110V (US) or 2200W at 220V (Europe).

What should I do to make this work?  Is it even possible?
Activity: 810
Merit: 1000
Unlikely that your dorm would handle the juice. This is designed to be a rack moutned system which typically runs off a 3-phase 15Amp per phase set-up - for Australia. I think the same will apply for the US, it is a rack mounted item that will require a higher than  normal power supply and plug.

butwhat would I know, I am only an Electrical Engineer.   Grin
legendary
Activity: 1946
Merit: 1035

Activity: 7
Merit: 0
Hi, I'm new here.  I was thinking of buying this miner:
http://gawminers.com/collections/all-miners/products/shipped-pre-order-september-6-th-s-spondoolies-tech-sp30-yukon-batch-1

and bringing it to college to use it.  I live in a single room in a building that was created in the last 5 years.  While I don't know much about electricity and the like, I am worried that the miner I was going to buy will draw too much electricity.  I wouldn't want to cause a short or something like that.  I do not want to damage the room's electrical circuits/wall outlets.  I guess my main question is whether I'd be able to plug my bitcoin miner into a wall outlet and begin using it or if I'd need to take special precautions?  Would I have to use both the plugs that are provided with the miner? Or could I just plug it into one outlet?  Also do you guys have any tips I should keep in mind?  Any help is greatly appreciated.  Thanks!
Pages:
Jump to: