Pages:
Author

Topic: Will occasional losses of bitcoin wallets limit available maximum bitcoins? - page 4. (Read 26881 times)

legendary
Activity: 1470
Merit: 1005
Bringing Legendary Har® to you since 1952
Bitcoins are never lost. just that the key is lost in the ocean somewhere.

One day, some guy might get very very very lucky to find a key to a vault full of bitcoin.

You mean by brute-forcing private key of the wallet owner or what ?
legendary
Activity: 980
Merit: 1014
Bitcoins are never lost. just that the key is lost in the ocean somewhere.

One day, some guy might get very very very lucky to find a key to a vault full of bitcoin.
Activity: 434
Merit: 250
Every saint has a past. Every sinner has a future.
Too bad one cannot find someone else's lost wallet on the street. Wink
legendary
Activity: 938
Merit: 1001
bitcoin - the aerogel of money
And this in a system that is naturally deflationary to begin with!  Isn't this a pretty huge systemic problem?

Most people in the Bitcoin community think that deflation is actually good for the economy.

The last three months we've already had massive deflation (approx. -75%)  and the Bitcoin economy is doing fine.

See:

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Deflationary_spiral

Also, the deflation from losing wallets is going to be negligible compared to deflation from new users joining. 

Unlike credit cards, Bitcoin feels like real money to people, and I think that most users treat a wallet.dat file differently to just any data stored on their harddisk. I would be very surprised if many people who own more than few hundred BTC don't keep at least one backup of their wallet.

Activity: 726
Merit: 500
Some idiot loses his wallet. My wallet becomes worth more. No problem!  Cheesy
Activity: 294
Merit: 273
Bitcoins that are lost are lost forever. No it doesn't recover. It is "natural deflation". Tongue

Sorry to bump this old thread, but it seemed mildly less obnoxious than starting a new one on an already-discussed topic.  This problem was actually my first thought when I heard about bitcoin--given that wallets are often stored on run-of-the-mill computers, and that a huge proportion of computers crash without proper backups in place, won't the resulting deflation be quite significant?  Even if it's just small amounts lost by reckless users(think digital equivalent of teenagers losing spare change due to holes in pockets), this would add up fast if bitcoin were in widespread use.  And this in a system that is naturally deflationary to begin with!  Isn't this a pretty huge systemic problem?
Activity: 48
Merit: 0
Well, if in some case EVERYONE loses their coins, they can just start the whole coin generation process all over again.
Activity: 490
Merit: 509
My avatar pic says it all
Bitcoins that are lost are lost forever. No it doesn't recover. It is "natural deflation". Tongue
Activity: 210
Merit: 100
What happens if somebody has some data issue and completely loses their bitcoin wallet for good?  Will this mean the bitcoins that they had would be lost permanently from the potential maximum bitcoin money supply?  Then as this happens occassionaly, the maximum bitcoin money supply shrinks.

As this happens over time, will it destroy bitcoin or can bitcoin recover?
Pages:
Jump to: