Pages:
Author

Topic: Will that be debit, credit or Bitcoin? - page 2. (Read 1548 times)

donator
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1015
August 24, 2014, 02:20:27 AM
Disappointing they're going with Coinbase, but this is the Big Thing I've been waiting on, personally, for a long, long while, now.
Activity: 434
Merit: 250
Loose lips sink sigs!
August 24, 2014, 01:58:51 AM
It's all about infrastructure.

Once the infrastructure is in place for retailers to easily receive the payment and for consumers to pay with BTC the two parties of the transaction will join in the happy BTC dance! I look forward to seeing it mature.

It would be great to have a BTC debit card that links to whatever address I select - like Coin but with a BTC option.
Activity: 84
Merit: 10
August 24, 2014, 12:44:37 AM
I'd personally like to pay for my morning coffee with Bitcoin at times.
But I probably wouldn't do it all the time.
I would most likely use my Debit/Credit Card.
Activity: 903
Merit: 1000
LakeBTC.com
August 24, 2014, 12:39:24 AM
Would you like to pay for your morning coffee with your credit card or your bitcoin wallet?

If San Francisco-based start-up Shift Payments has its way, you'll soon be able to switch from real money to digital currency when paying with a single card.

The company is beta testing 100 cards with friends and family members. It allows users to make purchases with accounts from Coinbase—a bitcoin exchange—and Ripple—a digital payment exchange protocol that can support real and digital currency.

While the card does not currently access bank or credit accounts (just bitcoin accounts for now), co-founder Meg Nakamura says Shift Payments is trying to make that happen soon.

"We are having conversations with U.S. banks to see if we can get them comfortable," she said. "They are very, very interested. It's just a timing issue. So we are building out the product with the partners we have right now."

Users download a mobile app with the card, which they use to switch between currencies and accounts. The company takes a small percentage of each transaction.

"We modeled this after Coin," said Nakamura, referring to the digital payment card that consolidates multiple credit cards into one Bluetooth device. "We really like this gadget and hope to be able to work with it, but we don't have that hardware right now so we're doing it with a mobile app. It's the software solution to what could become hardware."

Nakamura hopes the company will become valuable to banks in addition to spenders.

"Unlocking this value is interesting for the banks because it means more transactions for them," Nakamura said.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/101937441
Pages:
Jump to: