Pages:
Author

Topic: Will the Armory come back if USA changes its weapon laws? - page 2. (Read 25151 times)

Activity: 532
Merit: 500
FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM
3d printer is probably the wrong technology anyway. They're cool and I would love to have one but something in CNC would get you something better, cheaper and more reliable.
All you need to do is change the print head out for a CNC cutting head, and (assuming you have the right software) you're good to go.

Nope that wouldn't be as efficient, a 3D Printer isn't sturdy enough for milling and a mill isn't fast enough for printing. You need both until you figure out how to do it. Some professional SCARA robots might qualify but those have high end material and precision requirements. It's not out of reach but there is quite some road ahead to get there.

I've seen an industrial robot arm repurposed as a 3d printer. That would handily run a mill. But yeah, your average makerbot isn't going to be able to handle chewing through block aluminum (much less steel). Casting from a printed positive, though, is still a very appealing possibility to me.
legendary
Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057
Marketing manager - GO MP
Just wait until the 3D printers are fully capable of printing copies of itself and self assembly, then everyone would have their own 3D printer.
Autonomous replication not in our lifetime. But a 3D printer as a common good, that is entirely realistic and I expect it to happen somewhat soon.

What also might happen is complete replication with minimal manual labour using multiple machines.
Something like an robotic arm, cnc mill, cnc lathe and 3D printer working together to create complete copies of themselves. That, I think may also be the minimal requirement to completely automatically produce a firearm.

3d printer is probably the wrong technology anyway. They're cool and I would love to have one but something in CNC would get you something better, cheaper and more reliable.
All you need to do is change the print head out for a CNC cutting head, and (assuming you have the right software) you're good to go.

Nope that wouldn't be as efficient, a 3D Printer isn't sturdy enough for milling and a mill isn't fast enough for printing. You need both until you figure out how to do it. Some professional SCARA robots might qualify but those have high end material and precision requirements. It's not out of reach but there is quite some road ahead to get there.
Just wait until the 3D printers are fully capable of printing copies of itself and self assembly, then everyone would have their own 3D printer.
legendary
Activity: 2464
Merit: 2130
1RichyTrEwPYjZSeAYxeiFBNnKC9UjC5k
Another issue the government will have is that under current law it is legal to make your own gun (provided you are over 18 and not a felon) and have no registration for it as long as you don't transfer it to anyone else. Under this framework some one could travel the country in a vehicle with a 3d printer and have people just press the print button on a machine and make a instant ready made firearm completely unregistered. This technology not only completely circumvents the law but also makes it irrelevant in one step.

Well, we're not quite to the "instant ready made firearm" yet, but this plus some spare parts, and you're set.

Lasts about 6 shots before it cracks from stress. Plan accordingly.

they used a plastic or polymer.

it can be done with titanium or steel powerders for this process and it would last much longer.

they probably cant afford the equipment though

Well, you could always print in plastic, then use that as the positive for a mold.
Activity: 926
Merit: 1001
weaving spiders come not here
Another issue the government will have is that under current law it is legal to make your own gun (provided you are over 18 and not a felon) and have no registration for it as long as you don't transfer it to anyone else. Under this framework some one could travel the country in a vehicle with a 3d printer and have people just press the print button on a machine and make a instant ready made firearm completely unregistered. This technology not only completely circumvents the law but also makes it irrelevant in one step.

Well, we're not quite to the "instant ready made firearm" yet, but this plus some spare parts, and you're set.

they used a plastic or polymer.

it can be done with titanium or steel powerders for this process and it would last much longer.

they probably cant afford the equipment though
legendary
Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057
Marketing manager - GO MP

3D-printed parts aren't necessarily inferior to injection molded parts. If the printer is calibrated properly and the geometry is taken into account they are as good or even better.
That there are different requirements for a firearm than a pencil holder must be clear. If you download the file and print it right away you are probably right though.
I keep telling you idiots explosives are far easier to make than guns.

True. Very true. I could go into my kitchen right now and come out with a bomb. That bomb would be almost as dangerous to me and mine as it would be to anyone I would use it on, however, and it makes, thus, a shitty self-defense weapon.
legendary
Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000
I keep telling you idiots explosives are far easier to make than guns.

legendary
Activity: 3318
Merit: 1958
First Exclusion Ever
Activity: 476
Merit: 250
The first is by definition not flawed.
Bitcoin - the classic case for freedom.

Say for example one of USA constitutional rights get thinned out by a pow-wow
of politicians and lawyer magic. Would you buy your leadthrower with bitcoins then?

As a person subject to the european warlords I have grown up used to being unarmed.
Have to say I had a interesting time with a G36 when the oppresive regime placed
my body into the defence cult of the conspiracy to uphold the oppresive regime.
Never liked sharp ammunition though. Didn't feel right to have it if I knew that not
everyone else had it, too.

Enough rambling, If i would be in USA I guess I would be helping to bring the Armory
back - just in case you know. Just in case like I hold coins cause I do not trust the banks
either.
If more people feel like that in the land of the fee (the taxed nation) I guess they should
consider holding enough coins to change to guns.

Praise Bob
Pages:
Jump to: