Pages:
Author

Topic: Will the gov't confiscate IRAs? - page 2. (Read 1874 times)

legendary
Activity: 3066
Merit: 1145
The revolution will be monetized!
July 23, 2012, 03:47:54 PM
I don't think this would happen because no one would stand to gain. If people saw this possibility coming they would divest before hand. That would drive prices off the cliff and destroy any value in those assets. That's what I would do. The broker gets paid, I take a big hit, but the gov gets nothing but worthless paper.
Activity: 70
Merit: 10
July 23, 2012, 03:09:11 PM
Under the right conditions, almost certainly.  401k's too.
donator
Activity: 853
Merit: 1000
July 23, 2012, 03:07:19 PM
http://www.shtfplan.com/precious-metals/liquidate-iras-and-401ks-or-suffer-grievous-losses_12082010

"This means that at some point in the future, when government comes under pressure from debt buyers to raise interest rates in order to offset the risk of a depreciating dollar and potential for default, the interest payments on our debt will rise significantly. Some estimates suggest that 60% of our outgoing payments will eventually be interest – a number so large that it will literally destroy the US economic system as we know it. At some point, our international line of credit (provided by China, Russia, Japan, et. al.) will be cut off.

"In a last ditch effort to prevent complete financial, economic, political and social collapse, the government, like those in Argentina and Hungary, will move to seize private assets of Americans. Those assets are primarily held in IRA and 401k retirement accounts and they will become the targets of government intervention."
Pages:
Jump to: