Pages:
Author

Topic: Will the new invention by Intel & Micron help PCs to replace ASIC again ? - page 2. (Read 2459 times)

Activity: 49
Merit: 0
I want one of these  Grin
legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 1009
if i understood corretly this technology improves storage right? if i'm right, it would be good to use this in conjuction with coins that need storage to be mined, like bustcoin or anything else in the future

Yes, that's well thought. Being a storage tech, it can probably make BURST mining better somehow...
Activity: 79
Merit: 10
I doubt it will replace them but one thing I do hope is that mining becomes affordable for many again at some pint though I can't really see this happening sadly.
Activity: 639
Merit: 500
if i understood corretly this technology improves storage right? if i'm right, it would be good to use this in conjuction with coins that need storage to be mined, like bustcoin or anything else in the future
legendary
I don't really think it will replace ASIC's... ASIC' makers will probably just absorb this tech as much as they can, if it gives an advantage to their chips!

XPoint isn't an asic technology for mining. It's a bulk storage technology, and it's not useful for an asic OR a cpu miner, beyond a memory device to store settings and firmware (a task tangential to mining).

I thought this had something to do with RAM, excuse me for my confusion.
legendary
Activity: 1662
Merit: 1050
I hope it would make it easier for everyone to run their own high-performance full node. At the very least re-indexing the blockchain after an unexpected system shutdown should no longer take 3 days.

So, we are going to get more stable block explorers ?
donator
Activity: 1616
Merit: 1003
I hope it would make it easier for everyone to run their own high-performance full node. At the very least re-indexing the blockchain after an unexpected system shutdown should no longer take 3 days.
legendary
Activity: 1302
Merit: 1068

Nooopee. Not many algo make use of memory. Not much else to say.

Stacking memory sectors in 3D has been talked about for a while now.

It's going to be cool for gaming rigs and some very few memory intense applications, however.

As far as I know, xPoint is currently only applicable to non volatile mass storage as an extension of NAND flash.

Ahh, but both technology are years away and i doubt 3D stacking ram and ssd are 2 completely different concept that just happened to appear at the same time.

The article also mention effect on DRAM and end with "keep your SSD and RAM for now".
legendary
Activity: 963
Merit: 1002
No, this is a really cool new technology. Unfortunately, it will not help us whatsoever with cryptos, or crypto mining. It might help with the lag some wallets encounter from having 10's of thousands of transactions, but I am not sure of this.
Activity: 392
Merit: 259
Tips welcomed: 1CF4GhXX1RhCaGzWztgE1YZZUcSpoqTbsJ

It's going to be cool for gaming rigs and some very few memory intense applications, however.

As far as I know, xPoint is currently only applicable to non volatile mass storage as an extension of NAND flash.
legendary
Activity: 1302
Merit: 1068
Intel and Micron unveil 3D Xpoint™ technology and create the first new memory category in more than 25 years.

http://newsroom.intel.com/docs/DOC-6713

Activity: 392
Merit: 259
Tips welcomed: 1CF4GhXX1RhCaGzWztgE1YZZUcSpoqTbsJ
I don't really think it will replace ASIC's... ASIC' makers will probably just absorb this tech as much as they can, if it gives an advantage to their chips!

XPoint isn't an asic technology for mining. It's a bulk storage technology, and it's not useful for an asic OR a cpu miner, beyond a memory device to store settings and firmware (a task tangential to mining).
legendary
Activity: 784
Merit: 500
Intel and Micron unveil 3D Xpoint™ technology and create the first new memory category in more than 25 years.

http://newsroom.intel.com/docs/DOC-6713

Pages:
Jump to: