Pages:
Author

Topic: will we witness a blockchain based election in our life time? - page 2. (Read 155 times)

legendary
Activity: 2100
Merit: 1042
HODL
You can see such transparent elections only in first world countries which can be powered by blockchain. But in first world countries, people don't believe in Electronic Voting machines so ballots are the preferred choice for them. So the chance looks pretty slim.

So, it seems already some local elections have been held in blockchain but it has not been widely accepted yet.
What do you think? What percentage of people have the right idea about blockchain? If those who have no idea about blockchain are asked to adopt such a blockchain-based voting system, they will never do so. First, the people of the country have to be initiated in the blockchain, then maybe the blockchain technology will be able to be widely involved in the voting system.
legendary
Activity: 3668
Merit: 6382
Looking for campaign manager? Contact icopress!
I recall a thread on Russian Voters’ Data on Sale After Blockchain Poll. It’s possibly a different case (Twitter link is from September 2020, and the incident in the thread I reference happened in August 2020), and although the problem resided on a complementary poll identity control system, and not on the blockchain itself, it does go to show that there are more things to consider overall.

The topic you linked contains a link to a Coindesk news that tells "The online voting system, based on Bitfury's open-source Exonum blockchain and built with the help of Kaspersky Lab"
So it's indeed a different blockchain. And yes, there are indeed a lot of details to be taken into consideration and made correctly when voting is done with a public blockchain.

I also recall some cases from 2018 depicted on the forum, although not country wide: Blockchain technology in election polls.

Wow, quite a list indeed! My example was also not country wide (only 2 regions in Russia), hence the list from ^^ that thread is better.
legendary
Activity: 2338
Merit: 10802
There are lies, damned lies and statistics. MTwain
<...>
I recall a thread on Russian Voters’ Data on Sale After Blockchain Poll. It’s possibly a different case (Twitter link is from September 2020, and the incident in the thread I reference happened in August 2020), and although the problem resided on a complementary poll identity control system, and not on the blockchain itself, it does go to show that there are more things to consider overall.

I also recall some cases from 2018 depicted on the forum, although not country wide: Blockchain technology in election polls.
legendary
Activity: 3668
Merit: 6382
Looking for campaign manager? Contact icopress!
The election could be a smartcontract running in a blockchain.

From what I know, blockchain was already involved in voting and, although I have no idea how it was implemented, I am almost sure that some sort of smart contracts were involved, since that blockchain does support them.
It has happened on Waves blockchain in 2020. In Russia (!).
legendary
Activity: 2352
Merit: 6089
bitcoindata.science
A problem with a block chain based election is that in order to win an election, you must have 51% of the vote, which is the same amount needed to change the outcome of the vote (via a 51% attack).

I was imagining something different.  The election could be a smartcontract running in a blockchain.  Every vote would be a transaction (of a token?). It would be easy to count and transparent.

But it would be expensive, as everyone would need to make a transaction to vote.

I don't know if we will see similar implementations in the future..
legendary
Activity: 3080
Merit: 1500
complete democracy is blockchain and as more people are adopting blockchain, i am really excited for blockchain based voting. no tampering with votes whatsoever.

You can see such transparent elections only in first world countries which can be powered by blockchain. But in first world countries, people don't believe in Electronic Voting machines so ballots are the preferred choice for them. So the chance looks pretty slim.

But in the rest of the world, we will never see a blockchain based election. Because a fair election can do anything and everything. So the corrupted government will never allow such transparent election to take place! EVMs will continue to dominate their elections.
mk4
legendary
Activity: 2870
Merit: 3873
Paldo.io 🤖
A problem with a block chain based election is that in order to win an election, you must have 51% of the vote, which is the same amount needed to change the outcome of the vote (via a 51% attack).

So, in effect the winner of the election is the side with the most hash power.

Don't you think it won't make sense to use hashpower to count votes? Rather than something utterly simple as every single person has a designated wallet address, and 1 very low valued transaction to a certain candidate's address will count as the vote.

^Most probably a really bad example, but you get what I mean. Unless I misunderstood what you said, of course.
Activity: 868
Merit: 150
★Bitvest.io★ Play Plinko or Invest!
Probably in first world countries but I don't think a corrupt third world would have that, remember that election is always being cheated in those countries so removing that opportunity for corrupt candidate will definitely make things difficult for them so they will do whatever it takes for that to not happen.
legendary
Activity: 4438
Merit: 3387

So, in effect the winner of the election is the side with the most hash power.
Activity: 1
Merit: 0
complete democracy is blockchain and as more people are adopting blockchain, i am really excited for blockchain based voting. no tampering with votes whatsoever.
Pages:
Jump to: