Pages:
Author

Topic: Will you ever be able to pay for a coffee with Bitcoin? - page 2. (Read 350 times)

Activity: 85
Merit: 0
For this to be debatable for Bitcoin , lightening protocol need to be implemented for us to know the time it takes to confirm transactions.

Dash have a real life scenario of buying coffee with their coin.you might wanna check it out.
Activity: 406
Merit: 100
Market Integration Platform
I don't think it is important, there is lots of coins I can pay for coffee and also if btc is not suitable for such things it really does not lose anything. It is rather digital gold.
copper member
Activity: 2856
Merit: 3071
https://bit.ly/387FXHi lightning theory
If I pay by chip and pin it takes 3 days minimum to go through,

But it confirms almost immediately, and it is guaranteed. There are not guarantees with Bitcoin until you have got a few hours worth of confirmations.

I can see how it would work if you buy a gift card, and then use that for the purchase.

There is no such thing as a Bitcoin debit card. There is a pseudo-bank exchange service that will make the payment for you in fiat, but that isn't peer to peer.

Or you could get a pre-pay/pre-order system where you get a discount if you pay for your coffee in advance the night before (as then it helps them know the number that will be made).

And the gift card thing also. Although it isn't confirmed beforehand, well it is but you can still cancel it.
legendary
Activity: 2744
Merit: 2462
https://JetCash.com
If I pay by chip and pin it takes 3 days minimum to go through,

But it confirms almost immediately, and it is guaranteed. There are not guarantees with Bitcoin until you have got a few hours worth of confirmations.

I can see how it would work if you buy a gift card, and then use that for the purchase.

There is no such thing as a Bitcoin debit card. There is a pseudo-bank exchange service that will make the payment for you in fiat, but that isn't peer to peer.
Activity: 18
Why would I want to pay with Bitcoin for a coffee. There is fiat or debit/credit cards for that. Bitcoin is too precious to be spent on coffee. I don't want to repeat the story of buying 2 pizzas with 10000 Bitcoins Tongue

Besides, speed of transaction and fee doesn't make it a good viable option.
copper member
Activity: 2856
Merit: 3071
https://bit.ly/387FXHi lightning theory
I'm having a coffee with Jet Cash, and we are discussing the recent fake news about Starbucks. He doesn't see how any cafe could accept Bitcoin in payment for a coffee.
Grin I like that one haha.

I see so many people wetting their pants because some fast food chain is rumoured to be accepting Bitcoin, but I can't see it ever happening. Can you see a way for the cafe to start accepting Bitcoin?

If I pay by chip and pin it takes 3 days minimum to go through, I don't camp in McDonald's every time I get a drink there...

Restaurants also give you a plate with a reciept/invoice and you generally put your money+tip underneath that reciept and leave (at least that's the general practice I know).
Activity: 21
It will not make sense untill the price of bitcoin will remain on the same level and will not be so volatile.
Activity: 19
Wasn't there recently even the news about the shops of a whole town now accepting cryptopayments? Did you actively search for shops that might accept crypto in your city? You might be surprised that some of them already do.
Activity: 151
Merit: 2
Bitcoin in my country cannot be used for any living expenses, although I hope that cryptocurrency can replace cash, but it seems far away!
Activity: 252
Merit: 4
I'm having a coffee with Jet Cash, and we are discussing the recent fake news about Starbucks. He doesn't see how any cafe could accept Bitcoin in payment for a coffee. Well maybe if you use Lightning network, but a regular Bitcoin payment doesn't seem viable. Ignoring the issue of high fees, the confirmation time seems to be the problem. With average block creation times of around 10 minutes, it can take up to 20 minutes or so for a transaction to get into a block, and that is providing that it gets into the next creation, and it isn't an orphan. That seems far too long if you are waiting in a payment queue.

I see so many people wetting their pants because some fast food chain is rumoured to be accepting Bitcoin, but I can't see it ever happening. Can you see a way for the cafe to start accepting Bitcoin?

You don't need to have the cafés accepting Bitcoin, you only need a cryptocurrency debit card supporting Bitcoin. Here's the best cryptocurrency debit card list for you. Smiley

All the best,
Cryptowisser
Activity: 78
Merit: 1
There are several places in London where you can pay for your coffee or lunch with Bitcoin. There is even a cafe that has a bitcoin ATM in it. I am not sure how well it workis in the real world but I cannot see if replacing contact less payments which are instant.
Activity: 39
I pay a Starbucks coffee using bitcoin once. You can buy a Starbucks gift card with Bitcoin Cash. Then use it in a coffee-shop and you will get your cherished latte in a Siren logo cup. Starbucks is so cryptocurrency-friendly.
Activity: 244
Merit: 17
Register for Fit to Talk through me
I'm having a coffee with Jet Cash, and we are discussing the recent fake news about Starbucks. He doesn't see how any cafe could accept Bitcoin in payment for a coffee. Well maybe if you use Lightning network, but a regular Bitcoin payment doesn't seem viable. Ignoring the issue of high fees, the confirmation time seems to be the problem. With average block creation times of around 10 minutes, it can take up to 20 minutes or so for a transaction to get into a block, and that is providing that it gets into the next creation, and it isn't an orphan. That seems far too long if you are waiting in a payment queue.

Pages:
Jump to: