Pages:
Author

Topic: World's First Physical Bitcoin wallet - page 3. (Read 2404 times)

Activity: 658
Merit: 500
March 28, 2016, 03:33:44 PM
it seems to be a pretty interesting thing i might even buy it though i will follow the discussion of the people in here

besides that i always thought i need a physical wallet though i have never found the one that would fit me
legendary
Activity: 1092
Merit: 1001
March 28, 2016, 03:25:11 PM
What do you think about this guys http://opendime.com/ ? It seems like it's a project by Coinkite .
They posted about it when they announced about  closing their services here : http://blog.coinkite.com/post/141836920461/time-to-be-your-own-bank

This is a very important advancement for Bitcoin/bitcoin.

We feel that we've created whole new product category: disposable hardware wallets. We're really excited to see what people will do with this. Maybe we'll see whole new economies based on Opendime spring up! That might be a real godsend in some countries that struggle with limited network infrastructure and corrupt governmental systems.

The private key is generated inside the device, and is never know to any human, not even you!

Yes. It's like a piggy-bank. You must destroy it to spend the funds. At first that seems expensive and wasteful, but it's a key part of our security model: you can trust a sealed Opendime, and it's obvious when it's been opened.

What would this be used for?
2.Delivery the payment for a car when you go to pick it up. Just put your payment on an Opendime and hand it over when you get the keys. Private key for car keys!

legendary
Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037
Trusted Bitcoiner
March 28, 2016, 02:47:52 PM
you still have to trust that opendime didnt record the private keys when they created the units.
i dont see the advantages over traditional physical bitcoins

They don't contain any private keys when you first get them and you can also use it offline , you are the one who should create them so It's secure enough If you ask me .

IS THE PRIVATE KEY UNIQUE AND SECRET?

Yes. Opendime is delivered without any private key. You must give it entropy (random numbers) the first time you use it. Once it's gotten enough numbers, it will hash them all together and use that to pick a random number to use as the private key. At that point, the payment address is generated and set in stone.

This whole process is very easy: just copy some files into the USB drive. When it's got enough bits (250k) it will eject itself and come back with its final payment address.
SOUNDS good

but if i enter the exact same random numbers do i end up with the same private key?

Most likely not , I mean if it's case then It would be too easy to crack and take someone else private keys . I suppose it should work like Bitaddress or something like that .

well it wouldn't be easy to figure out some else's pk, but it would mean the creator could know what his pk is without unsealing it.
it sounds interesting.
it makes for a really cool wallet thats forsure.
at the very least its an ultra safe and easy to use paper wallet.
Activity: 1092
Merit: 520
March 28, 2016, 02:43:52 PM
Its hard to beat a simple paper wallet printed from my printer using bitaddress.org or creating a bitcoin vanity address using vanitygen,  Grin  put it this way i wont be moving my bitcoin.
staff
Activity: 3500
Merit: 6152
March 28, 2016, 02:41:21 PM
you still have to trust that opendime didnt record the private keys when they created the units.

They don't contain any private keys when you first get them and you can also use it offline , you are the one who should create them so It's secure enough If you ask me .

Yes. Opendime is delivered without any private key. You must give it entropy (random numbers) the first time you use it. Once it's gotten enough numbers, it will hash them all together and use that to pick a random number to use as the private key. At that point, the payment address is generated and set in stone.

This whole process is very easy: just copy some files into the USB drive. When it's got enough bits (250k) it will eject itself and come back with its final payment address.
SOUNDS good

but if i enter the exact same random numbers do i end up with the same private key?

Most likely not , I mean if it's case then It would be too easy to crack and take someone else private keys . I suppose it should work like Bitaddress or something like that .
legendary
Trusted Bitcoiner
March 28, 2016, 02:40:02 PM

SOUNDS good

if you know what the random numbers where used to create it, could you figure out what the private key is?
staff
March 28, 2016, 02:24:57 PM

legendary
Trusted Bitcoiner
March 28, 2016, 02:20:18 PM
staff
March 28, 2016, 02:10:21 PM
What do you think about this guys http://opendime.com/ ? It seems like it's a project by Coinkite .
They posted about it when they announced about  closing their services here : http://blog.coinkite.com/post/141836920461/time-to-be-your-own-bank
Pages:
Jump to: