Pages:
Author

Topic: Would it be principle possible to own all bitcoins? - page 2. (Read 986 times)

legendary
Activity: 1358
Merit: 1014
It's impossible, everyone will always want to hold some, so you will not own all of them, not to mention that you would need to live up to year 2140 for when all bitcoins are mined, and you would need to somehow find all private keys of coins that are locked forever, and some of them are lost forever (example: hard disk containing bitcoin thrown in the garbage bin for an accident, those hard disks get destroyed in recycle plants so those coins are forever lost)

So to sum it up: nope.
Activity: 196
Merit: 100
It is absolutely true and it can be obtained by using the wallet blockchain. He gives it to all members and it was very helpful to us in order to supply a service in each transaction. An example is the online store, any store online is definitely using it and it was very helpful to give them no to everyone who orders
legendary
Activity: 3668
Merit: 6382
Looking for campaign manager? Contact icopress!
All the BTC are not in 'a wallet'. They are spread out and a lot are not online or with private keys lost forever. So the answer is NO.
-snip-

Whats wrong with you people. The question is "If I have all(!) private keys in my wallet (does not matter where its from), do I controll all bitcoin?" and the answer to that question is yes. Just because you have a number stored on an offline system does not mean I can not have the exact same number stored on my system. The moment I know your secret number (the private key), your coins also belong to me.

Good luck finding a 40564819207303340847894502572032 exabyte disk to store the keys though.

We both know that "guessing" other's private key is practically impossible. So the only way to get it is by stealing it. And THERE the number of offline wallets counts.

But you're right, I could have said it (much) better. And I also mixed it up with a lot of other stuff...
copper member
Activity: 1498
Merit: 1499
No I dont escrow anymore.
All the BTC are not in 'a wallet'. They are spread out and a lot are not online or with private keys lost forever. So the answer is NO.
-snip-

Whats wrong with you people. The question is "If I have all(!) private keys in my wallet (does not matter where its from), do I controll all bitcoin?" and the answer to that question is yes. Just because you have a number stored on an offline system does not mean I can not have the exact same number stored on my system. The moment I know your secret number (the private key), your coins also belong to me.

Good luck finding a 40564819207303340847894502572032 exabyte disk to store the keys though.
legendary
Activity: 3668
Merit: 6382
Looking for campaign manager? Contact icopress!

If you'd make your own coin clone then you may be able to achieve that (mine it all by yourself), although I am not certain about the amount in the genesis block. And I don't understand the purpose of this. If you own them all, you just render them useless and with no value.
Activity: 742
Merit: 500
Hey Guys,

I just got the following thought. If you would find a wallet that could hold all bitcoin addresses incl. there Private Keys, you should have all available Bitcoins in your wallet, or am I wrong? (It's just a theory)

Best regards,

Patrick Smiley

these is sound greeedy. hahaha. but it is not possible. because all bitcoins is not in online. you cant get that it is in the usb and they store it under the ground as a treasure. hahaha. but nice topic
legendary
Activity: 1946
Merit: 1137
I just got the following thought.

you didn't explain what your thought exactly is!

If you would find a wallet

what does this mean, you mean searching the internet or other people's computer to find their wallets.
or do you mean finding (creating bitcoin addresses) because a bitcoin wallet is file that is holding the bitcoin addresses + their private keys that your wallet application has created.

that could hold all bitcoin addresses incl. there Private Keys,

you have to create all those addresses + private keys and since there is 2^160 possible bitcoin addresses you will have to continue making addresses until the end of the world.

you should have all available Bitcoins in your wallet, or am I wrong? (It's just a theory)

yes you are wrong.
legendary
Activity: 4298
Merit: 3209
I just got the following thought. If you would find a wallet that could hold all bitcoin addresses incl. there Private Keys, you should have all available Bitcoins in your wallet, or am I wrong? (It's just a theory)

All the bitcoin addresses that contain bitcoins (and that have ever contained bitcoins) are listed in the block chain. You just need to get their private keys.
Activity: 378
Merit: 250
Hey Guys,

I just got the following thought. If you would find a wallet that could hold all bitcoin addresses incl. their Private Keys, you should have all available Bitcoins in your wallet, or am I wrong? (It's just a theory)

Best regards,

Patrick Smiley
No, because you still have to remember the Bitcoin in cold storage or on hardware like USB. However, all online Bitcoin could possibly come into your hands.
Activity: 117
Merit: 250
Would it be principle possible to own all bitcoins?
Pages:
Jump to: