Pages:
Author

Topic: Would you like to access Bitcointalk though a console? - page 2. (Read 446 times)

legendary
Activity: 4326
Merit: 3519
what is this "brake pedal" you speak of?
wouldnt one result of this to be opening up more vulnerabilities?

i mean theymos has hardened this forum through the years.. or would that hardening come along with the apis?
mk4
legendary
Activity: 2716
Merit: 3817
Paldo.io 🤖
Fun fact: in my slightly drunk state, when I saw the title I internally uttered "why dafuq would I want to access Bitcointalk on a gaming console."

Really though, it would be really cool; but I could imagine that responding to multiple or curated quotes would be a total nightmare — 50x worse than doing it on mobile.
staff
Activity: 3248
Merit: 4110
I could probably get some use out of it. If it's not just for the inner nerd in me, but when travelling consoles/text based browsers can be great if you're in a country which doesn't exactly have great internet access. When I went to Nepal for example, loading the forum was absolutely horrible, and that's taking into consideration that this forum is rather stripped down to most websites these days.

Though, obviously extremely limited use cases I'd say or better yet extremely limited user base that would be interested. I imagine a lot of users here have come accustomed to such privileges like UserScripts, and various extensions.

I am already using Bitcointalk in a console (lynx).
I've used Lynx in the past, can't recall if I've ever used it on Bitcointalk, but there was a period where I tried to use it for almost everything (that didn't require JS, since I didn't compile my own build). This is going years back though, and was more of a experiment than anything. I feel like these days I've been spoilt a little too much with the functionality of modern browsers.
legendary
Activity: 1568
Merit: 6660
bitcoincleanup.com / bitmixlist.org
I am already using Bitcointalk in a console (lynx).

Granted, it has its faults, but it works for the most part.

Recent circumstances require me to evade detection while browsing Bitcoin material and I have found lynx excellent for that purpose.

The only caveats are that JS is obviously not supported, so you need your captcha-bypass login link and then you have to compile your own Lynx build (because the ones shipped with distros don't have cookie support enabled - this is required to log in. No special config ptions needed except for --with-ssl=/usr/lib (or lib64) so that HTTPS support is enabled.

Even then though, the cookie support is not persistent so I'd get logged out if I close the browser. But it's good enough for my needs. I mostly have the BBCode syntax firmly entrenched in my brain, and I can post and  I can post and reply to PMs normally (almost a genuine Hal Finney experience).

Lynx ought to be started with -editor=/usr/bin/vim, so you can just press Ctrl-X e to open vim when your cursor is in a text area. Makes composing posts much easier. I might be prone to blank trailing lines autogenerated by the textarea, which have to be removed with vim. I've just learned that.

I'm still looking for a text-based PDF reader with Latex support to read documents though.
legendary
Activity: 3668
Merit: 6382
Looking for campaign manager? Contact icopress!
If such an API would be provided, imho the best use would be in another graphical tool/app, like for example an Android app, although there can be trust issues there, I know.
Using bitcointalk in text mode.. I'm not sure how many are "hardcore" enough to do that. I'm not.
As @ETFbitcoin correctly stated: bitcointalk is more complicated than twitter (multiple images, complicated and nested use of quotation...)
legendary
Activity: 2870
Merit: 7490
Crypto Swap Exchange
I use console sometimes, but honestly i'd rather use browser to access Bitcointalk. Lack of image and proper quoting visualization is big turn off for me.
administrator
Activity: 3738
Merit: 2948
As the world moves more towards open standards, websites and services are focusing a lot on offering an extensive set of APIs for interact, turning more into some protocols with clients built on top.
Take Twitter for example: https://opensource.com/life/16/10/3-twitter-clients-linux-command-line

Would you use such a client, if existed, to read and maybe post on Bitcointalk?
Pages:
Jump to: