Pages:
Author

Topic: Would you normally trust a Bitcoin ATM? - page 2. (Read 1966 times)

donator
Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006
Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.
December 10, 2014, 09:53:38 PM
Elaborate because i don't understand what is so silly about my comment.
Because nobody uses ATMs for trading. Your comment made no sense at all. In fairness to you, please elaborate how an ATM can affect trading?
Activity: 210
Merit: 100
December 10, 2014, 09:37:41 PM
Elaborate because i don't understand what is so silly about my comment.
donator
December 10, 2014, 09:32:43 PM
thats a good question,to think i would be so naive to trade bitcoins at a atm,ill think about if before i do now.
That's the silliest thing I've read today. Thanks for the chuckle.
Activity: 210
Merit: 100
December 10, 2014, 09:28:32 PM
thats a good question,to think i would be so naive to trade bitcoins at a atm,ill think about if before i do now.
donator
December 10, 2014, 08:51:10 PM
The same can be said about many businesses. Businesses depend on repeat and referral customers. They should take safety measures to ensure customer satisfaction.

Yes yes, real businesses want to build their business.... I'm just trying to say, don't run up to every flashy box in random location that says it's a bitcoin ATM and feed it bills, or bitcoin for that matter. Just saying that there's a chance that there are some scam ones out there. "Error 35412 please contact tech support 1-800-phone-that-never-picks-up" and it's gone the next day.
There have been instances of people installing fake ATMs in busy places. You're right that bitcoin ATMs could also be fake.
Activity: 518
Merit: 500
Hodl!
December 10, 2014, 04:49:44 PM
The same can be said about many businesses. Businesses depend on repeat and referral customers. They should take safety measures to ensure customer satisfaction.

Yes yes, real businesses want to build their business.... I'm just trying to say, don't run up to every flashy box in random location that says it's a bitcoin ATM and feed it bills, or bitcoin for that matter. Just saying that there's a chance that there are some scam ones out there. "Error 35412 please contact tech support 1-800-phone-that-never-picks-up" and it's gone the next day.
Activity: 42
Merit: 0
December 10, 2014, 11:36:54 AM
Where is the risk in getting bitcoins?

You get the bitcoins...they can't be taken back.

For you maybe there is no risk, but for newbies like me and many others - IS! Therefore, should be created educational projects!
Activity: 326
Merit: 250
December 10, 2014, 11:35:49 AM
I would as long as they have a cold wallet with a good amount of funds backing them. I don't see why not.
Activity: 55
Merit: 4
December 10, 2014, 11:35:06 AM
Before you even insert cash, the machine asks for your QR code. It makes sure it is a valid address before accepting any bills.  As long as your wallet and devices are secure(which is out of BTM's control), you should feel very comfortable using BTMs. They will not let you insert more money than they can cover. I have not used Skyhook, but the major BTM manufacturers have never had transaction issues I am aware of. Bitaccess, Lamassu, Robocoin, Genesis1 are all trustworthy machines.
donator
December 10, 2014, 11:26:42 AM

Getting the bitcoins is the preferred outcome, however, there's a bit in the middle there where machine has your cash, and you have not got the bitcoins.
Hodl!
December 10, 2014, 10:30:19 AM

Getting the bitcoins is the preferred outcome, however, there's a bit in the middle there where machine has your cash, and you have not got the bitcoins.
Activity: 67
Merit: 10
December 10, 2014, 10:10:44 AM
Buying coins from most of them seems pretty safe as long as you make sure you're in possession of the private keys you should be good. If it's one that prints out a QR code I'd import it ASAP. I wouldn't trust to buy an ATM from a brand new company though if that's what you're asking.
legendary
Activity: 3598
Merit: 2386
Viva Ut Vivas
December 10, 2014, 10:02:48 AM

Hodl!
December 10, 2014, 09:38:35 AM
Personally, since I've got enough "at risk" at the moment and don't need any extra risk factors, I'd give that crowd a few months in the market to see what use experiences are.

I'd trust CaVirtEx ATMs in known locations.

Note the specification of known locations, if a "CaVirtEx" ATM turned up at a local strip mall, with no announcement or confirmation of that location from the operators, I would not use it.
Activity: 19
Merit: 0
December 10, 2014, 09:24:26 AM
Hey,

I am wondering this myself. Is it a good idea to buy Bitcoins over a dedicated ATM?

I am currently looking at the options here http://coinoutletatm.com/

What do you think?
Pages:
Jump to: