Pages:
Author

Topic: Would you use an ATM machine to buy Bitcoins? - page 2. (Read 1917 times)

Activity: 41
Merit: 0
September 07, 2013, 05:07:46 PM
The NCR machines run about $30-$50,000 USD.  (OUCH).

September 02, 2013, 02:57:43 PM
I'm happy to have a conversation if you, or anybody else, who wants to employ "an army of these".

Here's one of the machines we are considering:
http://www.ncr.com/products/banking/deposit-atm-machines/selfserv-36

Here's my post in the lending forum:
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/would-you-invest-in-a-bitcoin-startup-who-places-atm-btc-machines-in-us-cities-286631
Activity: 33
September 02, 2013, 01:15:06 PM
That's a good point. Where would you be aiming to place these atm?

I live in Colorado so I'm hoping to place the first one in Denver.  My partner has extensive experience in programming ATM machines for large banks and he is confident we can build a prototype machine.

The only problem placing one in another city/state is finding a sponsor to manage it.  Initially it would only sell bitcoin (not buy it) so periodically cash would need to be unloaded from the machine.  We want to develop the first machine and then license the technology to others who want to place ATM machines in their home towns.

@CoinATM -- awesome.... the $20,000 RoboCoin (or whatever it is) is just too expensive...if your solution is much cheaper, I am interested.  Let me know when you are able to expand to the Baltimore/DC area....I know of quite a few people here who could help me manage an army of these things
Activity: 448
Merit: 250
Changing avatars is currently not possible.
September 02, 2013, 11:08:51 AM

I live in Colorado so I'm hoping to place the first one in Denver.  My partner has extensive experience in programming ATM machines for large banks and he is confident we can build a prototype machine.

The only problem placing one in another city/state is finding a sponsor to manage it.  Initially it would only sell bitcoin (not buy it) so periodically cash would need to be unloaded from the machine.  We want to develop the first machine and then license the technology to others who want to place ATM machines in their home towns.

Sound like a good idea.  What is the timeframe on this?
September 02, 2013, 10:33:37 AM

Activity: 4
September 02, 2013, 10:11:43 AM
If the price was right and I received them quickly I would.
staff
Activity: 3290
Merit: 4114
September 02, 2013, 10:07:16 AM
Why would you trust them to not keep the private keys after selling it?

It seems unlikely to me that someone who would spend $20,000 to build a place a kiosk that sells bitcoin would be trying to rip off the users.  How would the ATM owner ever recover the $20,000 if the first user gets ripped off and reports that experience to the bitcoin forum?

September 02, 2013, 09:57:26 AM

It seems unlikely to me that someone who would spend $20,000 to build a place a kiosk that sells bitcoin would be trying to rip off the users.  How would the ATM owner ever recover the $20,000 if the first user gets ripped off and reports that experience to the bitcoin forum?

Activity: 190
Merit: 100
September 02, 2013, 09:44:13 AM

Assuming they don't know it has been sold, just transfer the balance immediately and then it's useless to them. After all you should be able to check the balance before sale. But I don't think many people will be as clued up as us, especially the people who would need to use an ATM / Vending machine. They might think, yey I have some Bitcoins and then just put it in a draw for later!
staff
Activity: 3290
Merit: 4114
September 02, 2013, 09:27:44 AM
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/bitcoin-atm-san-francisco-283185 - Discussion about a ATM in San Francisco.

Having a ATM though, would be a really good idea. If you can go into more detail on how the process would work then that would be great also.
Activity: 756
Merit: 251
World's First Crowd Owned Cryptocurrency Exchange
September 02, 2013, 09:08:56 AM
It would be great if the you can sell and buy bitcoins with it.
Activity: 350
September 02, 2013, 08:30:52 AM
sure, why the hell not? be a lot quicker too

There won't be an ATM in every small town. But yes, it would be nice Smiley
Activity: 8
September 02, 2013, 08:21:09 AM
sure, why the hell not? be a lot quicker too
Activity: 252
Merit: 100
MARKETPLACE FOR PAID ADVICE LIVE BROADCASTS
September 02, 2013, 07:57:53 AM
Would you walk up to a machine and insert money if it spit out a bitcoin address (private key) with a predetermined amount of BTC on it?

Yes, I think that it would be nice.
Especially if it's cheap.
September 02, 2013, 07:49:37 AM
You need a starting investment, but with the benefit, you can then run it quite easily.
You don't even need to buy btc in advance. You can have a partnership with mt.gox or some other exchanges and buy it at the current price whenever someone wants to withdraw btc Smiley
Activity: 18
September 02, 2013, 07:48:10 AM
The issue with those services, is that the company would have to keep buying BTC. this means that when they run out, the ATM wouldn't work. Personally, I feel that this service would die out in a short life span. Many internet services dried up for that reason, and I would expect this one to do the same, unless it was run extremely well.
legendary
Activity: 1638
Merit: 1329
Stultorum infinitus est numerus
September 02, 2013, 06:38:31 AM
If the ATM's are small(There is few youtube videos about it) it would be so good for Non-EU or Non-US countries, easier to get with the ATM.
September 02, 2013, 06:22:51 AM
b!z
legendary
Activity: 1582
Merit: 1010
September 02, 2013, 05:29:31 AM
I heard there was a bitcoin suitcase atm that sold btc at a convention somewhere Smiley
Activity: 2
September 02, 2013, 05:27:46 AM
If the machine and operator is trusted sure, I buy my BTC for cash all the time through trusted sources and an "ATM" would eliminate the need to arrange a meeting to hand over cash Smiley
Pages:
Jump to: