Pages:
Author

Topic: Wtf is the government thinking - page 2. (Read 2839 times)

Activity: 675
Merit: 514
June 16, 2012, 06:14:11 PM
China is burning coal and killing dolphins like there is no tomorrow.
They know that they have to switch to renewable energy sources sooner or later:
http://dft.ba/-chinasolar
Activity: 87
Merit: 10
June 04, 2012, 08:14:28 AM
The Government is one big pot everyone takes from. Quickly the world is divided into 2 classes, slaves and parasites. When the former can't support the latter...
legendary
Activity: 1330
Merit: 1000
June 03, 2012, 08:45:58 PM
I live in a liberal city full of liberals that want things only their way.

Honestly I'm not really sure what those people are.  Mostly they are just welfare dependents.  They can't really be called liberals.

Most of the things you mention are just excuses to institute sin taxes to pay for social welfare.
Activity: 373
Merit: 250
June 03, 2012, 06:59:53 PM
The government, ironically, is supposed to be a government for the people

Still believe that?

Wake up, and smell the ashes.

Playing too much Half-Life 2?  Grin

But yes the government is not truly there for the people.  I predict that the government will eventually turn into a totalitarian state, due to utter chaos that will come from future lack of resources (oil and other hydrocarbon energy sources)

As to the other posters and criticisms, you must agree that the government is in fact placing too many regulations and taxes upon us.  They are limiting job creation while at the same time promising to promote them.  Take from the candidates that are running for office, for example.  I have not seen much improvement and most of it is just empty promises to simply get them in power.

Although the government may be trying to prepare for the future and sustainability I don't think they are taking it the right way.  After all, the government cannot do this alone.  By them setting up all types of programs they are simply wasting tax payer money.  It is up to ourselves and private sector companies to shape our growth.

What the government is doing is simply stunting future growth.
Activity: 560
Merit: 500
June 03, 2012, 06:01:19 PM

Still believe that?

Wake up, and smell the ashes.
Activity: 364
June 03, 2012, 03:35:51 PM

Still believe that?
Activity: 812
June 03, 2012, 03:33:24 PM
The government, ironically, is supposed to be a government for the people, in the USA at least.  Yet we have constantly seen that people are being controlled by the government, and our freedoms being taken away slowly, and slowly, and slowly,  yet we have allowed this to happen.

Let me list some things:

1. Tobacco Tax
2. Banning smoking in public places
3. Plastic bag ban
4. Ban on drugs (Looks bad, but there is no reason for marijuana to really even be banned)
5. Closure of coal plants (30 closed across the nation, decreasing our electricity generation capacity)

This sounds like a very simplistic rant motivated by base political ideals. I see no in depth analysis here that addresses population growth, sustainability, conservation, long term planning, etc.

It sounds like a meme derived from the chanting of the word 'Freedom', without an acknowledgement of the complexity of the world we live in, and its evolving state.
Activity: 196
Merit: 100
Web Dev, Db Admin, Computer Technician
June 03, 2012, 03:09:15 PM
Well the electricity part, the government is scared shitless about a total loss of the grid.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWy06s2fRk4

In essence, they are prepping and making the market conducive for profiteering, simultaneously. If the impending storm does less damage than predicted, corporations win. If they don't do anything, we all lose if it's really bad.

Ben Rich said that all the technology you can imagine does already exist in black projects, but that it would take an act of God to get them out of the hands of those in black projects for the improvement of society.
legendary
Activity: 1050
You are WRONG!
June 03, 2012, 02:54:08 PM
by smoking in public places, you are forcing other people to smoke indirectly.

so its okay for you to force something upon others, but its not okay that the government does it?
Activity: 373
June 03, 2012, 02:51:49 PM
The government, ironically, is supposed to be a government for the people, in the USA at least.  Yet we have constantly seen that people are being controlled by the government, and our freedoms being taken away slowly, and slowly, and slowly,  yet we have allowed this to happen.

Let me list some things:

1. Tobacco Tax
2. Banning smoking in public places
3. Plastic bag ban
4. Ban on drugs (Looks bad, but there is no reason for marijuana to really even be banned)
5. Closure of coal plants (30 closed across the nation, decreasing our electricity generation capacity)

And more...

Unfortunately for me to make things worse, I live in a liberal city full of liberals that want things only their way.  They're increasing electric rates, banning plastic bags soon and making a big stir...

Electric used to be much cheaper $0.03-0.04 and now it's going up to rates such as $0.15/KWh.  They decided to close down a ton of power plants in the city while demand is rising, and decided that stealing more money from our pockets is a viable solution to lower demand and rolling blackouts.

So why don't people stand up to the government?  Our freedoms are slowly being taken away.  The majority politicians only go into government to control people and have power.  Of course that is human nature but we still can limit that from having such slow and devastating impacts on our freedoms.
Pages:
Jump to: