Pages:
Author

Topic: [WTS] 2011 1 BTC Error Casascius Coin 2.25BTC - page 2. (Read 3172 times)

Activity: 86
Merit: 10
It would really help if you would post a higher quality photo of the hologram side of the coin.  I don't know how anyone can judge the quality of your coin based on the poor quality photograph you've provided.

I'll give it a shot, I don't have a fancy camera, just a standard 8MP point and shoot digital camera, nor any artistic talent. My point was to exemplify the scratches on the holo which I got, but I'll see about adding another picture.
Often photos can exaggerate defects in a coin.  If you could take a photo outside in natural light on a cloudy day it might help. 
legendary
Activity: 2590
Merit: 2154
Welcome to the SaltySpitoon, how Tough are ya?
It would really help if you would post a higher quality photo of the hologram side of the coin.  I don't know how anyone can judge the quality of your coin based on the poor quality photograph you've provided.

I'll give it a shot, I don't have a fancy camera, just a standard 8MP point and shoot digital camera, nor any artistic talent. My point was to exemplify the scratches on the holo which I got, but I'll see about adding another picture.
Based on the images I can't help but say that it looks like the hologram has been tampered with. Some of the honeycomb is visible.

I'm not implying anything but from my experience with my holograms which also have a honey comb pattern is the only way to have the honeycomb pattern be shown is to have the hologram peeled back in some form or fashion, unless Mike himself put a damaged hologram on to this coin (which I doubt).

Sometimes when peeling back the holograms from the paper they come on some of my holograms (the gold foil ones mostly) end up showing "tampering" when nothing has been done. I haven't found out what causes this but it is a very small percentage of my holograms that does this.

In any case are you the original owner of this coin? Sorry if I missed that bit of information if you already shared it.

Edit: Did this coin fall from an elevated place? Or something else perhaps?

I am not, but the coin is still in tact. I bought the coin before it would have made sense to tamper with them. I am under the impression that one of the previous owners put it in their pocket, as the scratches on the holo look very similar to key marks, or something similar that one might put in their pocket. Thats what my inner detective tells me.

You still hoping for BTC2+ coins for it?

I do still feel that 2BTC would be about the lowest I would take for it. I'm not new to the numismatic field, and I am aware of the price difference between a Mint coin and a Circulated coin. Most of the 2011 Casascius coins are in circulated condition, as they were not originally thought to be collectable, most however without the scratches on the hologram. Given the current market and Casascius situation, 2.5 BTC would be ideal however anything over 2 would get my interest.
It would really help if you would post a higher quality photo of the hologram side of the coin.  I don't know how anyone can judge the quality of your coin based on the poor quality photograph you've provided.
legendary
Based on the images I can't help but say that it looks like the hologram has been tampered with. Some of the honeycomb is visible.

I'm not implying anything but from my experience with my holograms which also have a honey comb pattern is the only way to have the honeycomb pattern be shown is to have the hologram peeled back in some form or fashion, unless Mike himself put a damaged hologram on to this coin (which I doubt).

Sometimes when peeling back the holograms from the paper they come on some of my holograms (the gold foil ones mostly) end up showing "tampering" when nothing has been done. I haven't found out what causes this but it is a very small percentage of my holograms that does this.

In any case are you the original owner of this coin? Sorry if I missed that bit of information if you already shared it.

I am not, but the coin is still in tact. I bought the coin before it would have made sense to tamper with them. I am under the impression that one of the previous owners put it in their pocket, as the scratches on the holo look very similar to key marks, or something similar that one might put in their pocket. Thats what my inner detective tells me.

I do still feel that 2BTC would be about the lowest I would take for it. I'm not new to the numismatic field, and I am aware of the price difference between a Mint coin and a Circulated coin. Most of the 2011 Casascius coins are in circulated condition, as they were not originally thought to be collectable, most however without the scratches on the hologram. Given the current market and Casascius situation, 2.5 BTC would be ideal however anything over 2 would get my interest.
Activity: 574
Merit: 500
Mining for the hell of it.
legendary
Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473
LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

legendary
Opening the thread back up, as I'm curious to see if the lack of news from Casascius has influenced the market.
I think if you cleaned the coin up and put it on ebay you'd get at least a $700 premium over the face bitcoin value.

Mayhaps, however I'd really rather not clean the coin. It could either increase the value, or decrease it. Most of them have tarnish on them, as no one thought they were going to be super collectable when Casascius first started making them, so a lot of them weren't put in Air Tites like the later coins. The scratch on the back is probably the most damaging to value, however as ones without scratches are going for a 2 BTC + premium, I'd imagine that mine is still pretty valuable.

I can't say I'm really desperate to sell the coin, so if the right offer comes across I'll take it. I think I could just use the Bitcoins in a better way right now, but if it doesn't sell, I might end up holding it for years until its worth some serious coin.
Opening the thread back up, as I'm curious to see if the lack of news from Casascius has influenced the market.
I think if you cleaned the coin up and put it on ebay you'd get at least a $700 premium over the face bitcoin value.
legendary
legendary
In light of Casascius' temporary/permanent shut down I will be holding onto this coin for a while to see how it all plays out.

http://www.wired.com/wiredenterprise/2013/12/casascius/
legendary
Order now, and overnight shipping within the U.S will be included. I need the Bitcoins for crack... I mean various Bitcoin investment stuff.

I will give you the 1BTC that it has on the coin but that is the most I can offer. I am not trying to low ball you by any means I hope you get more but just in case you decide to rip it open and redeem it I will trade you so that it doesn't get destroyed.

Thanks for the offers, but I'll pass.
Activity: 712
Merit: 500
Activity: 980
Merit: 1001
Order now, and overnight shipping within the U.S will be included. I need the Bitcoins for crack... I mean various Bitcoin investment stuff.

I will give you the 1BTC that it has on the coin but that is the most I can offer. I am not trying to low ball you by any means I hope you get more but just in case you decide to rip it open and redeem it I will trade you so that it doesn't get destroyed.
legendary
legendary
Daily Bump for people getting home from work with some coin burning their pockets.
Activity: 625
Merit: 501
x
Yes I agree it does more harm than good to scrub pure or uncirculated coins, but for resilient alloys like brass, bronze, and steel, it can really bring out the highlights of otherwise "ordinary" coins.

I agree, in the case of not knowing how it will effect the value though, I will allow the buyer to clean it if they so choose. If you clean an old bronze roman coin, it loses like 95% of its value, however this isn't a coin from an ancient civilization, so I just don't know how it would effect the value. Its up to the market I suppose.

You can check my sales thread in the signature, I am a long time seller of Casascius coins of all years, as well as graded coins. I can tell you I just saw an add for a graded MS60 (terrible grade) coin. The reason it received such a terrible grade from ANACS is because the coin was marked "cleaned". This is probably the worst thing you can do for a "collectible" piece.

Just seconding what nightowlace is saying here.
I bet johnniewalker could even add a few interesting stories about cleaned coins.

Some of the original coins are now getting old enough they're beginning to show some tarnish. A little longer, we'll get to see what sort of natural toning develops.
I have two or three I'm letting develop in this way. Yes, I'm holding out hope to get a highly desirable specimen. Who knows how it'll turn out.
legendary
Activity: 1204
u can always vacuum seal a lot of the coins to preserve them. no need to get them graded.

Part of the allure of these coins, is owning a piece of Bitcoin history, as these are the first physical bitcoins ever produced from what could remain the standard in physical coins fiveever.

They better be around forever. I have lots invested in these coins.  Mike better not quit pushing and fighting. I want consecutive series releases.
legendary

You can check my sales thread in the signature, I am a long time seller of Casascius coins of all years, as well as graded coins. I can tell you I just saw an add for a graded MS60 (terrible grade) coin. The reason it received such a terrible grade from ANACS is because the coin was marked "cleaned". This is probably the worst thing you can do for a "collectible" piece.

Thanks, I wasn't sure what cleaning one of these coins would do to it, I definately wouldn't do it myself.

Part of the allure of these coins, is owning a piece of Bitcoin history, as these are the first physical bitcoins ever produced from what could remain the standard in physical coins fiveever.
legendary
Activity: 1204
December 09, 2013, 11:39:45 PM
Yes I agree it does more harm than good to scrub pure or uncirculated coins, but for resilient alloys like brass, bronze, and steel, it can really bring out the highlights of otherwise "ordinary" coins.

I agree, in the case of not knowing how it will effect the value though, I will allow the buyer to clean it if they so choose. If you clean an old bronze roman coin, it loses like 95% of its value, however this isn't a coin from an ancient civilization, so I just don't know how it would effect the value. Its up to the market I suppose.

I know a guy that used Brasso to polish his brass coins Tongue
Activity: 980
December 09, 2013, 11:31:21 PM

Pages:
Jump to: