Pages:
Author

Topic: [WTS] The Keyois Capsule. A new type of physical bitcoin *NEW*12-ton press video - page 5. (Read 7515 times)

legendary
Activity: 1252
Merit: 1259
MONKEYNUTS
Just had a thought .... how do you stop me from losing it ... ?   Roll Eyes

I see it is damn near indestructable. I fear that the 'human factor' will be its biggest weakness
legendary
Activity: 2702
Merit: 1072
Really cool, I'm liking the tests so far! 

Do you happen to know how many PSI the tractor bucket test may have been?  I'm guessing a lot since the piece was basically obliterated but nice to see the keys are recoverable.   Smiley
Activity: 129
Merit: 100
So someone asked me if the capsules glow, well the glowing vials are gone but the red stone centerpieces glow in UV light. We can see this in a picture where I took some of the shitty steel rings and filled that capsule with mineral oil. A while ago I read some thread on casascius coins where someone wanted to know if a radiograph (X-Ray) could see the secret keys and since my keys are engraved on titanium I also wondered that so I had the capsule x-rayed. A real finished capsule had been radiographed, but the reference photo with potato camera is of prototype rings and not the glued together or pretty ones.

Also, in UV light: https://i.imgur.com/GbLWcpP.jpg

After getting crushed by a tractor bucket:

The capsule rings were not annihilated, I say they passed the impact test in that they keys are still recoverable: https://i.imgur.com/MHuGwuE.jpg

Interesting concept you got going Jack.

Keyois could mean: Give me the key o is in greek.  Undecided

Nope, good try. The english word 'key' is not involved...
Activity: 798
Merit: 501
Interesting concept you got going Jack.

Keyois could mean: Give me the key o is in greek.  Undecided
legendary
Activity: 1904
Merit: 1005
PGP ID: 78B7B84D
Does 'keyois' have anything to do with quinoa?

They have similar pronunciations on some speech bots (http://ttsreader.com/)
Alas not that, a few more guesses and I'll give another clue I suppose

Another guess from me:

A portmanteau of the words key (referring to bitcoin priv/pub keys) and octrois (http://www.wordfind.com/word/octrois/)

A hopeless guess really  Grin

A good try, but still not right. I'll give another hint (but again I doubt anyone will get it):

phonetics are involved in some way
legendary
Activity: 1904
Merit: 1005
PGP ID: 78B7B84D

Another guess from me:

A portmanteau of the words key (referring to bitcoin priv/pub keys) and octrois (http://www.wordfind.com/word/octrois/)

A hopeless guess really  Grin

legendary
Activity: 2254
Merit: 1140
I placed my order.  I can't wait to receive mine.   I will post a thorough review and pictures when it arrives in a few weeks.    I might have to make room in my Kialara case for this one...
So... I am assuming Keyois is an acronym

Something along the lines of
Know everything you own is secure (or safe)
Keep everything you own in storage (or in safety)

Or some variant?

Great innovation here ! Good to see something a little different from the rounds with holos or paperwallets

I will wait for a few more folks to give their opinions once they have recieved them, before I order one. But I like it.

I would love to see some evolution of this concept into a 'reusable' product. Similar level of protection against the elements, but that you dont have to destroy to access the funds .... if that is possible. Potentially ship with spare rings to DIY the BIP38 encrypted Secret Key (ie self engrave) for the next use. Appreciate that would be a big ask ! Potentially compromise a little on the level of protection available, for the ability to reuse.

Watching :-)
It looks pretty cool.
I think that you have sold a pretty big problem for the bitcoin community hear.
I think you should upload a Fire test as well ,what is the max temperature that the capsule can survive at?

Also are you open to reservations? or it is still a pre anouncment?.

Are you accepting a custom capsule order? Like a specific size and color?
Thanks.

The capsules are ready to order!

I plan to upload some video/photos of the trying to burn the capsules. I recently had one radiographed (X-rayed) to see if the engraving is visible through in the X-ray (it isn't), I will upload those soon too.

As far as suggestion optional limits for the unit:
The low temp is -22 F due to the nitrile, the high temp weakness is also due to the nitrile o-ring. For the 2nd edition I plan on getting teflon o-ring because they are way better chemical resistance (but cost 10 times as much), however their temp range is still only 250ºF to 450ºF.

That said, after a fire you know the capsule has been tampered with, the question is, are the secret keys still safe. They are engraved on titanium so I hope so, we'll see for sure in a fire test. I think the metal end pieces may not make it if we keep the fire burning many hours, but I don't think the laser-etched secret rings should be hurt. The 3rd edition will have titanium or 316 Stainless Steel end piece, and the second edition may have tungsten center rings instead of titanium.

While I have some customizations they mostly revolve around the centerpiece. I have a number of lab-created ruby and sapphire cylinder rods and a few stray gemstones that fit but aren't as pretty. You can see some examples on this page: https://www.reddit.com/r/Keyois/comments/501wxr/buy_a_keyois_capsule_less_than_50_available/

Let me know what you're after, maybe we can make happen
BG4
legendary
Activity: 1006
Merit: 1024
PaperSafe
I have to take a crack at guessing...

The    KEY  (O)ofline (I)nternet (S)afe Capsule

legendary
MONKEYNUTS
So... I am assuming Keyois is an acronym

Something along the lines of
Know everything you own is secure (or safe)
Keep everything you own in storage (or in safety)

Or some variant?
legendary
Activity: 2702
Merit: 1072
Cool project, Jack. Please see PM. I'd like to place an order and see one in person.

You won't be disappointed, I was very pleased with the construction of my item and am contemplating another.  Smiley
Activity: 549
Merit: 788
Cool project, Jack. Please see PM. I'd like to place an order and see one in person.
Activity: 238
Great innovation here ! Good to see something a little different from the rounds with holos or paperwallets

I will wait for a few more folks to give their opinions once they have recieved them, before I order one. But I like it.

I would love to see some evolution of this concept into a 'reusable' product. Similar level of protection against the elements, but that you dont have to destroy to access the funds .... if that is possible. Potentially ship with spare rings to DIY the BIP38 encrypted Secret Key (ie self engrave) for the next use. Appreciate that would be a big ask ! Potentially compromise a little on the level of protection available, for the ability to reuse.

It looks pretty cool.
I think that you have sold a pretty big problem for the bitcoin community hear.
I think you should upload a Fire test as well ,what is the max temperature that the capsule can survive at?

Also are you open to reservations? or it is still a pre anouncment?.

Are you accepting a custom capsule order? Like a specific size and color?
Thanks.
legendary
MONKEYNUTS

legendary
Activity: 2254
Merit: 1140
Do you still have ones with the tritium inserts?

If so, I'll take one of those.   

Feel free to send me a PM if you do.   Thanks.
I'm going to be doing some durability testing of the capsules and I'd like to share my results and even take suggestions (but I can't promise I can do them).

Let's start with Water-tight Testing

The capsules are water-tight when underwater for 3 weeks.

The capsules are water-tight with an exterior pressure of 30PSI for at least a few hours.

I also want to do comparisons between some other methods of cold storage and to make that cheaper I will use fakes: a USB stick, a printed piece of paper, & a coin with a tamper evident sticker.

Planned tests:
  • Crushing with a back-hoe
  • Fire
  • Moving from hot to cold. I've done boiling water to ice slurry but what about poor-man's liquid nitrogen(Dry-ice mixed with alcohol slurry)  or boiling oil so that the change is enough to crack the borosilicate (pyrex)
  • Eat with harsh chemicals

Are you going to film this? If not, I'd love to get one of these for a "Friends of Satoshi" Review (See Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCD_a4hqRUzIvtUv30QXYX5Q
) If you are, we could help with the post-production? Just let me know - it's a great product you are building!

Yes I will film it and put a video up, hopefully sometime next week.
Activity: 1035
Merit: 659
friendsofsatoshi.com
I'm going to be doing some durability testing of the capsules and I'd like to share my results and even take suggestions (but I can't promise I can do them).

Let's start with Water-tight Testing

The capsules are water-tight when underwater for 3 weeks.

The capsules are water-tight with an exterior pressure of 30PSI for at least a few hours.

I also want to do comparisons between some other methods of cold storage and to make that cheaper I will use fakes: a USB stick, a printed piece of paper, & a coin with a tamper evident sticker.

Planned tests:
  • Crushing with a back-hoe
  • Fire
  • Moving from hot to cold. I've done boiling water to ice slurry but what about poor-man's liquid nitrogen(Dry-ice mixed with alcohol slurry)  or boiling oil so that the change is enough to crack the borosilicate (pyrex)
  • Eat with harsh chemicals

Are you going to film this? If not, I'd love to get one of these for a "Friends of Satoshi" Review (See Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCD_a4hqRUzIvtUv30QXYX5Q
) If you are, we could help with the post-production? Just let me know - it's a great product you are building!
Pages:
Jump to: