Pages:
Author

Topic: XBT > BTC - page 3. (Read 7604 times)

Activity: 680
Merit: 500
April 18, 2013, 03:35:11 PM
I like BTC. People know what I'm talking about when I say BTC, as they would if I say mBTC. XBC just seems wrong. mXBC is even worse. I don't care about some international standard, Bitcoin isn't even a country. It's a way forward... let them adapt to us, not the other way around. Larger organizations? I don't even like that, Bitcoin's economy is being built from the ground up, I believe in driving small businesses for competition and free markets, the complete opposite of what is happening in our societies as of late. If businesses don't want to board, let them sink. Fuck the international standard. BTC!!!

Cheesy
Activity: 588
Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet
April 18, 2013, 03:34:54 PM
There are plenty of threads on this topic, just search google for "XBC". One here dates back as far as 2 years ago on this issue, I'm just rehashing it because it's relevant. That said, the XBC code was previously used for this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Unit_of_Account_9

If XBC is not accepted by the ISO, I would recommend XBT instead.

I agree, but wasn't it XBT?

Yes, you're right, in looking over the old threads that was what the general consensus had come to. I've updated my OP to reflect. Long live XBT!
Activity: 203
Merit: 100
April 18, 2013, 03:33:46 PM
I agree, but wasn't it XBT?
Activity: 476
Merit: 250
Bytecoin: 8VofSsbQvTd8YwAcxiCcxrqZ9MnGPjaAQm
April 18, 2013, 03:33:13 PM
No.  The naming system is a tacit endorsement of the idea that something issued by a government is more official then something that is not.   We should not voluntarily put ourselves in the X subbasement.

I agree, but I think Matthew is probably right about the fact that when Bitcoin gets noticed and standardized, it will probably get an X.

But we are free people, and can call it what we want!  Maybe we should give Bitcoin a 4-character currency code, since it is bigger and better than any currency that came before. Smiley
legendary
Activity: 1050
Merit: 1002
April 18, 2013, 03:32:14 PM
I disagree XBC > BTC.

I understand and acknowledge the standard, but you have to remember who is using it.

Most people when they go to the store see a $, not USD. If you're a professional forex trader then you don't care if the populace calls coins dog biscuits; if they are worth 100K each, you'll figure out what any proper ISO code is.

In the meantime using XBC will confuse everyone else, who will have a hard enough time understanding what a bitcoin is in the first place.
Activity: 574
Merit: 250
April 18, 2013, 03:27:22 PM
No.  The naming system is a tacit endorsement of the idea that something issued by a government is more official then something that is not.   We should not voluntarily put ourselves in the X subbasement.
Activity: 518
April 18, 2013, 03:26:49 PM
In the event a code is not sponsored by a government or country in specific (Bitcoin), it is preceded with an "X".

That's why Ripples are called XRP.
donator
Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006
Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.
April 18, 2013, 03:24:23 PM
XBTCC it is.
Activity: 87
Merit: 10
April 18, 2013, 03:21:48 PM
Agreed, if we start making the transition now it will be very easy.
Activity: 588
Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet
April 18, 2013, 03:20:06 PM
In light of recent implementation of BTC prices on some sites such as CNBC, I think it's time we follow the ISO 4217 currency code standard in preparation of larger organizations.

Yes, there are a plethora of threads just like this one, one posted even last month and some 2 years ago. That doesn't change the fact that it's an important topic that needs attention.

This standard is created by the International Organization for Standardization and is published as a list of standard currency codes referred to as the ISO 4217 code list.

Currency codes are composed of a country's two-character Internet country code plus a third character denoting the currency unit. For example, the Canadian Dollar code (CAD) is made up of Canada's Internet code ("CA") plus a currency designator ("D").

In the event a code is not sponsored by a government or country in specific (Bitcoin), it is preceded with an "X". If Bitcoin is ever to be added to the ISO 4217 currency code list, it is the belief of many including myself, that this will happen as XBC or XBT (edit: XBC being unlikely since the EU has used it to refer to a bond). To facilitate this transition, from this day forward I will be referring to bitcoin as either XBC or XBT in all of my projects, writings, and work. I ask that those interested in the standardization and mainstream adoption of Bitcoin do the same, or in the very least explore and share their opinions on what we can do to make the code more standardized.

Pages:
Jump to: