Author

Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency - page 1157. (Read 4670673 times)

legendary
Activity: 1260
Merit: 1008
LOL @

I'll throw 5 xmr your way to make this happen.....

i know im a high roller right?
Activity: 211
Merit: 100
How are Monero users called?

Is there already a cool name/term? Or do we need to create/find one? Obvious best via a community decision.

Moneristas ?

Though hopefully it will be "people" in ten years Smiley

i liked monerians or monerists
legendary
Activity: 1276
Merit: 1001
How are Monero users called?

Is there already a cool name/term? Or do we need to create/find one? Obvious best via a community decision.

Moneristas ?

Though hopefully it will be "people" in ten years Smiley
legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 1012
Still wild and free
No response, so I'll ask again. What's happening with the openbazaar XMR port?

I've heard or seen anything in the last 2 weeks on here about that project.

Atrides has a private channel to inform people who contributed. I guess when there is enough to say, he will post something here.
Activity: 306
Merit: 251
No response, so I'll ask again. What's happening with the openbazaar XMR port?

I've heard or seen anything in the last 2 weeks on here about that project.

Activity: 306
Merit: 251
XoMoneRians   - Incorporates the XMR
legendary
Still wild and free
There is another problem with trying to anonymize Bitcoin, I was reading this thread and it became clear, not only you have to trust the mixer but you'll have to worry that your coins could become "tainted" and in the future someone could wrongly acuse you of things because of your "transaction history"...

Mixing occurs naturally in exchanges and everywhere else, so anyone with tainted funds will always have plausible deniability. Of course, plausible deniability may not be much of a comfort when you are in  handcuffed in an interrogation room.

Not sure to agree with the usage of the term "always" here. If you - out of badluck - bought your coins or sold some from/to somebody that get busted because he used SR often enough, good luck. You may believe you have nothing to fear because you paid all taxes and never did anything illegal, but beware of retroactive laws.

The sole fact that a link exists between you and activities under prosecution demonstrates the relatively weak bitcoin fungibility. (much weaker than cash).
If a bitcoin supporter (I am of course one btw) is being blind to this weak fungibility by design, just ask him why mixers even exist.

If I were doing anything illegal, I wouldn't put my future in the hand of a mixing service, knowing it would have to fight against (i) information outside the bitcoin system, whith which, in the grand picture you can correlate blockchain information much more than you believe when considering information available *only to you* ; and (ii) with all machine learning techniques that will be developped forever, or at least during your life time.

EDIT: The only way to not fear the last two points is to rely on systems that have mathematically provable anonymity (based on few "axioms" which anyway are keys to pretty much everything we do with encryption). I know only one such system that is both usable and not a plain scam. Besides it has a pretty nice community Wink

EDIT 2: It makes me think of this:
http://www.spiegel.de/international/germany/puzzling-together-the-past-new-computer-program-to-reassemble-shredded-stasi-files-a-482136.html
The parallel is obvious to me: at the time people were shredding the secret documents, they had no clue somebody in the future would have methods, and patience, to reassemble the documents.
Activity: 798
Merit: 1000
21 million. I want them all.
There is another problem with trying to anonymize Bitcoin, I was reading this thread and it became clear, not only you have to trust the mixer but you'll have to worry that your coins could become "tainted" and in the future someone could wrongly acuse you of things because of your "transaction history"...

Mixing occurs naturally in exchanges and everywhere else, so anyone with tainted funds will always have plausible deniability. Of course, plausible deniability may not be much of a comfort when you are in  handcuffed in an interrogation room.
legendary
Still wild and free

In French, "monero" sounds very close to a childish way to say "my hero". No one has issue with it.
The Chevrolet Nova sold very well in Spanish-speaking countries, despite meaning "doesn't work" (no va) in Spanish.
The Škoda brand of automotives has an excellent reputation in Slovenia, even though "škoda" means "shit" in Slovene.

I think you forgot Toyota MR2 Smiley

Ahaha, good one! Smiley
Activity: 546
Merit: 500
I will coordinate Monero advertisement if we can crowdfund some PR

I would like to do this after the database merge hits production and after there is a mixin hardfork that rejects mixins under 3
Activity: 649
Merit: 500

In French, "monero" sounds very close to a childish way to say "my hero". No one has issue with it.
The Chevrolet Nova sold very well in Spanish-speaking countries, despite meaning "doesn't work" (no va) in Spanish.
The Škoda brand of automotives has an excellent reputation in Slovenia, even though "škoda" means "shit" in Slovene.

I think you forgot Toyota MR2 Smiley
Activity: 658
Merit: 503
Monero Core Team
I would direct you to the mining thread, but the killed search function makes finding that a real bitch.
Google search help:

The handy "inurl" operator

Monero "sub-threads" are on the OP
Monero Economy  •  Monero Support* •  Monero Mining  •  Monero Speculation*  •  Monero Dev*  •  Monero large OTC
* self-moderated

The mining category on forum.monero.cc
https://forum.monero.cc/13/mining-software-and-pools

(yeah, I realize it is a ONE with one hundred zeroes following. But who the hell ever said google before Google?)
No one before the correct word is "googol" Smiley But I get the point.
legendary
Activity: 1762
Merit: 1011
So I'm thinking of setting up a small site to sell some goods.  I would want to integrate Monero but my question is this.  Is there an automated script or process that would adjust the value of XMR to U.S. dollars say like every 15 minutes?

I would probably need some support from the true techs here if I go with this project.   

Won't Shapeshift.io's Shifty Button be an option for this once they add Monero?
legendary
Activity: 1750
Merit: 1036
Facts are more efficient than fud

BinaryFate will LOVE this observation! He's the resident fungibility expert.
donator
Activity: 1274
Merit: 1060
GetMonero.org / MyMonero.com

OpenAlias is mentioned in the slides:) ThomasV and I spoke about it before he presented that on Monday, and after seeing the slides I have some thoughts. I think email is a terrible mechanism, and I think x509 certs are fundamentally broken (getting a DV cert for a domain you don't own is relatively trivial, especially among the dodgier CAs). But first I need to flesh my thoughts out and put them down on paper:)
legendary
Activity: 1610
Merit: 1004
I love LAMP

Smart lamps are pretty cool too--moneraries use them to illumonate monestaries.

Smart Mining is even better! (coming soon in Monero)
legendary
Activity: 1750
Merit: 1036
Facts are more efficient than fud
I love LAMP

Smart lamps are pretty cool too--moneraries use them to illumonate monestaries.

legendary
Activity: 1610
Merit: 1004
Late nineties: WTF is google?

(yeah, I realize it is a ONE with one hundred zeroes following. But who the hell ever said google before Google?)

I recall learning & saying googolplex before Google existed, because I was probably 12 at the time and it was cooler than saying "infinity +1".  Grin
legendary
Still wild and free
legendary
Activity: 1133
Merit: 1050
Jump to: