Pages:
Author

Topic: [XMR] Monero Community FAQ - page 4. (Read 27939 times)

Activity: 42
Merit: 0
August 29, 2014, 09:55:47 AM
When will Monero reach DRK prices? its about time.
Activity: 76
Merit: 10
August 29, 2014, 09:47:20 AM
If I reveal my identity and my Monero address to a merchant or exchange, what can they figure out about my financial activity?
They can't (unless if they can access other merchants' database and start cross-referencing things).

Should a Monero address be published (as on a webpage or in a sig) or should it be shared only with payees?
Can be published. Of course, an address being a character string, googling for this address could give some interesting result. But this is not a technical issue, this is a human issue.
pa
Activity: 528
Merit: 501
August 29, 2014, 08:26:39 AM
Should a Monero address be published (as on a webpage or in a sig) or should it be shared only with payees?
pa
August 29, 2014, 08:24:22 AM
If I reveal my identity and my Monero address to a merchant or exchange, what can they figure out about my financial activity?
pa
August 29, 2014, 08:13:24 AM
If the Bytecoin/CryptoNote devs were scammers, how can we trust that the elliptic curve constants in Monero were not chosen maliciously?
legendary
Activity: 879
Merit: 1000
monero
August 29, 2014, 07:57:51 AM
maybe we should add "how to create a paper wallet" from the 10th june missives (https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.7241339) as part of the faq.

Q: How do I set up a paper wallet/cold storage?
A: create a wallet on a computer disconnected from the Internet, write the 24 words and the address and the view key down, and then remove all the files created by the wallet.
legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198
August 22, 2014, 11:02:21 AM
Q: Prove me that Monero is not yet-another-shitcoin
It's a fork of BYTECOIN so it must have some redeeming attributes? Surely?
Litecoin is a fork as well, it's not like anyone even cares that it is.
Your argument is invalid and you know it. It's open source for a reason and anyone has right to fork as many times as one wanted to.

Lack of an 80% hidden premine and not being run by a coin mill that operates by fraud and scams is a "redeeming attribute."

But I could be wrong, maybe an open and wide early distribution, transparency, and integrity are overrated.

legendary
Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965
Terminated.
August 22, 2014, 07:08:43 AM
It's a fork of BYTECOIN so it must have some redeeming attributes? Surely?
Litecoin is a fork as well, it's not like anyone even cares that it is.
Your argument is invalid and you know it. It's open source for a reason and anyone has right to fork as many times as one wanted to.
August 21, 2014, 08:39:52 PM
Q: What is the plural of Monero?
A: Since Monero is an Esperanto word, it should be "Moneroj" (as in viceroy). But a lot of people use "Moneros".
Activity: 983
Merit: 502
August 21, 2014, 08:02:17 PM

It's a fork of BYTECOIN so it must have some redeeming attributes? Surely?  Cheesy
legendary
Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050
Monero Core Team
August 21, 2014, 08:00:46 PM
  • Adaptive limits. No artificial 1MB blocksize limit
  • Fast 60 second block confirmations
kbm
Activity: 84
August 07, 2014, 07:25:38 AM

Edit: smooth's right, I'll respond in the main thread here: https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.8229760
legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198
August 07, 2014, 07:23:39 AM
Hi Smiley I have question, if someone would be kind enough to answer Smiley

Is it possible to have totally open transactions with XMR (as open as BTC)....or do all transactions necessarily get obscured by ring-sig?

This was answered in this FAQ here: https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.8148948

It might have not been clear. This isn't something that's even similar to you comparing your transaction records with someone. This method involves using data that is constant in your wallet, the view-key, that you can use to reveal, with absolute proof, that your transaction occurred on the blockchain. With this, yes, totally open transactions are possible. They can be as open as BTC, if everyone were to share every single view-key that they use with every wallet they use and make them accessible to everyone. I don't know why people would do that though.
Well I was reading about black and white bitcoins today, and the possibility that regulators may try to identify addresses. Now if that were to happen, it may happen in some places but not others. It may happen for a while and then be abandoned. We don't know. But, in some places it may be useful to be a coin that is not necessarily "private", but has the option for more a more open ledger.

This is an interesting discussion, but not really fitting with a FAQ format at this point, right?
kbm
Activity: 84
August 07, 2014, 05:22:57 AM

Is it possible to have totally open transactions with XMR (as open as BTC)....or do all transactions necessarily get obscured by ring-sig?

This was answered in this FAQ here: https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.8148948

It might have not been clear. This isn't something that's even similar to you comparing your transaction records with someone. This method involves using data that is constant in your wallet, the view-key, that you can use to reveal, with absolute proof, that your transaction occurred on the blockchain. With this, yes, totally open transactions are possible. They can be as open as BTC, if everyone were to share every single view-key that they use with every wallet they use and make them accessible to everyone. I don't know why people would do that though.

Again, as of this moment, there is no automatic tooling in the wallet to do the reveal. Devs are adding it in an upcoming release.
legendary
Activity: 1190
Merit: 1000
August 07, 2014, 05:11:21 AM

Pages:
Jump to: