Pages:
Author

Topic: XPUB Debacle - page 2. (Read 564 times)

Activity: 10
Merit: 4
December 31, 2020, 10:18:11 PM
They are 100% legit. I reenacted loading the YPUB to their site and I have the right YPUB and the deposit address is listed as the first address BUT I cannot pull it up and access the address and the funds. Again, I have been using BTC since 2016 but this one got me.

https://www.swanbitcoin.com/
legendary
Activity: 3374
Merit: 3095
BTC price road to $80k
December 31, 2020, 07:03:14 PM
It’s Swan they “don't store the xpub that you uploaded, because doing so would be a privacy issue. Instead, it statelessly generates the addresses in your browser.”

I’ve been happy with them and like their  service. I just don’t know where the BTC went and they don’t store XPUB so I’ve looked at all the possible derivation paths for the wallets on my Trezor and Ledger using Electrum, but still nothing.  The BTC is just sitting there. I’m gonna keep trying to locate where it could’ve landed the next few days.

I made the mistake of setting this up at 1:30 am and was not thinking about address types etc I saw the Bech32 address and I confirmed it so ultimately it’s on me but I just don’t know where the BTC landed.

What do you mean about Swan? Swan exchange?

Can you post that the exact URL of the website here?

You might be trusting an exchange site that is unknown and made only for scamming purposes. If it's a fake exchange that is never shared here publicly it means that this exchange is a 99.9% scam. I never heard someone could retrieve all BTC from scam exchanges.
December 31, 2020, 05:32:36 PM
It’s Swan they “don't store the xpub that you uploaded, because doing so would be a privacy issue. Instead, it statelessly generates the addresses in your browser.”

I’ve been happy with them and like their  service. I just don’t know where the BTC went and they don’t store XPUB so I’ve looked at all the possible derivation paths for the wallets on my Trezor and Ledger using Electrum, but still nothing.  The BTC is just sitting there. I’m gonna keep trying to locate where it could’ve landed the next few days.

I made the mistake of setting this up at 1:30 am and was not thinking about address types etc I saw the Bech32 address and I confirmed it so ultimately it’s on me but I just don’t know where the BTC landed.
legendary
Activity: 1624
Merit: 2481
December 31, 2020, 12:30:24 PM
[...] I signed up for an exchange that offered automatic threshold withdrawals and you had an option to enter your XPUB to avoid address reuse.
[...] The exchange says they don’t store the XPUBS [...]

This doesn't make sense.
Why do they ask for your xpub, but don't store it afterwards.

The only explanation i could imagine is, that they derive X addresses and afterwards delete the xpub. But this doesn't make that much sense IMO.

Something seems to be odd here..

What exchange are we talking about here?
legendary
Activity: 2534
Merit: 6080
Self-proclaimed Genius
December 31, 2020, 03:01:54 AM
Try to copy a random xpub and paste it somewhere else, for example:
Code:
xpub6DBNLPKQ6DMSjMaateX5TyzgwDgoDFyxNokKQa75EMp3KkEWHm2GkM4Madx5YZUrZ49onJUYW73PSo3zRDh4N5qVKvug6WCrhmz6dFzZKr1
Check every characters if something changed because there may be a variant of "clipboard hijacking virus" that changes 'extended public keys' instead of addresses.

If not and you have no idea where you might have copied it, try to link both of your hardware wallets to Electrum, both Trezor (latest firmware) and Ledger should have "native segwit" option when creating a new wallet using a hardware device.
December 31, 2020, 02:23:15 AM
I’m not new to BTC but not very technical ..just enough to get myself into trouble. I signed up for an exchange that offered automatic threshold withdrawals and you had an option to enter your XPUB to avoid address reuse. I opted for this and late one night I either used my Ledger or Trezor to enter my XPUB.  An automatic withdrawal was made I confirmed it, and although I noticed it was a bech32, I didn’t realize that it was odd. When I went into my Trezor,  the transaction couldn’t be found. I hooked it up to Electrum thinking that somehow the derivation was screwed up but nothing. I checked my Ledger and nothing.

I know I provided the XPUB from one of these 2 devices and most likely the Trezor. I have no idea where the bech32 address came from. The exchange says they don’t store the XPUBS and told me that a Trezor wouldn’t provide a bech32. The address and the funds are on the blockchain and have not been moved. I have not been the victim of any SIM swap or other fraud.

It wasn’t a tremendous sum but enough that it’s pretty irritating. Any thoughts other than I’m an idiot are greatly appreciated.
Pages:
Jump to: