Pages:
Author

Topic: Yale Professor Surprise: Tea Party Supporters More Scientifically Literate than - page 2. (Read 5468 times)

legendary
Activity: 2786
Merit: 1031
Well I'm not surprised... mainly because I supported the tea party movement, in the beginning stages of it. I wouldn't claim to be the brightest academic in the world, but I am told I have a scientific mind.

Unfortunately some racist groups started speaking out in favor of the tea party, combined with media misinformation & bashing... which seemed to destroy the party and everyone was afraid to even associate themselves with the tea party. Either that or most of them ended up in bunkers because they can't deal with the stress & anxiety our world now brings us and have decided to just leave our society entirely.   Grin

Wasn't the entire GOP hijacked by preachers and Bible thumpers?
legendary
Activity: 1789
Merit: 2535
Goonies never say die.
Well I'm not surprised... mainly because I supported the tea party movement, in the beginning stages of it. I wouldn't claim to be the brightest academic in the world, but I am told I have a scientific mind.

Unfortunately some racist groups started speaking out in favor of the tea party, combined with media misinformation & bashing... which seemed to destroy the party and everyone was afraid to even associate themselves with the tea party. Either that or most of them ended up in bunkers because they can't deal with the stress & anxiety our world now brings us and have decided to just leave our society entirely.   Grin
legendary
Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147
The revolution will be monetized!
I'm surprised also. But in science we look at data rather than check our gut feelings. Assuming the study was valid, the results are what they are. 
legendary
Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001
minds.com/Wilikon
Well, this is a surprise indeed!

Aren't the Tea Party people the guys trying to push Intelligent Design into the science classes?

Not really no. A bunch of them are atheists too. I believe this was the surprise that this Yale Professor is talking about among many things. Getting your stereotyping from the main stream media always crumbles when scientific facts are used. Look at how Bitcoin was described by that same MSM.

Yap, and they always choose the nut jobs for the interviews, by doing this they pass the message that the all group is/thinks like them.

But the tea party is not really a party as much as the bitcoin foundation does not really control bitcoin. In this case it did not matter to this professor as he believed exactly that about the nut jobs and the data proved him wrong, to his own dismay looking at his own data...
legendary

Aren't the Tea Party people the guys trying to push Intelligent Design into the science classes?

Not really no. A bunch of them are atheists too. I believe this was the surprise that this Yale Professor is talking about among many things. Getting your stereotyping from the main stream media always crumbles when scientific facts are used. Look at how Bitcoin was described by that same MSM.

Yap, and they always choose the nut jobs for the interviews, by doing this they pass the message that the all group is/thinks like them.
legendary
Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000
Depends on which Tea Party folks you're talking about, I know that the Tea Party movement used to be Libertarians but of course now you've got the stupid neo-conservative hijacking the movement again and getting all the air time so that means that everybody thinks they're all religious crazies.
legendary
minds.com/Wilikon

legendary

legendary
minds.com/Wilikon
http://www.ijreview.com/2013/10/87474-yale-professors-surprising-discovery-tea-party-supporters-scientifically-literate/

Remarkable was the professor’s reaction on the Yale Law “Cultural Cognition Project” website:

I’ve got to confess, though, I found this result surprising. As I pushed the button to run the analysis on my computer, I fully expected I’d be shown a modest negative correlation between identifying with the Tea Party and science comprehension.

But then again, I don’t know a single person who identifies with the Tea Party.  All my impressions come from watching cable tv — & I don’t watch Fox News very often — and reading the “paper” (New York Times daily, plus a variety of politics-focused internet sites like Huffington Post & Politico). 

I’m a little embarrassed, but mainly I’m just glad that I no longer hold this particular mistaken view.
Pages:
Jump to: