Pages:
Author

Topic: Yes, it is possible to be this ignorant. - page 2. (Read 1137 times)

Activity: 181
Merit: 100
Even here in the UK, we had a surge in Measels because some idiot decided to make public (and unfounded) claims about links between the MMR vaccine and autism.

Stupidity is an entirely human trait.

The issue here is public losing trust in government and institution.
legendary
Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000
Unfortunately, that's what happens sometimes when you act and think like an ostrich.

it's easy to say when you are living in a developed western country, where public education is something that nearly everyone has access to.
Its not even about education, i know of a religion whereby by its followers believe that one should not take any form of medicine to cure a disease they are suffering from(even if its life threatening) but instead one should just stay at home and pray to god and wait to get cured.  Sad

You only need to look at America to know this is true, hell even here in the UK we get some ignorant fuckers, it is basically all down to brainwashing from childhood, it's not that they're uneducated it's just that children sometimes quite literally have this bullshit beaten into them. Just on this forum we had awhile back a bunch of people who were ranting about raw milk and I was actually shaking my head in disbelief, seriously? There's a fucking reason that pasteurisation exists, it's fair enough if you get raw milk from a source you trust but would you drink raw milk from a supermarket that's been shipped from a place you've never heard of? I wouldn't.

You see it quite often in the nice and quite sane religious people, even though they're pretty decent, they still cling onto these beliefs they've had beaten into them from childhood and you can tell they're struggling with it all the time.
Activity: 224
Merit: 100
Professional anarchist
Even here in the UK, we had a surge in Measels because some idiot decided to make public (and unfounded) claims about links between the MMR vaccine and autism.

Stupidity is an entirely human trait.
Activity: 350
Merit: 250
Decentralized thinking
Unfortunately, that's what happens sometimes when you act and think like an ostrich.

it's easy to say when you are living in a developed western country, where public education is something that nearly everyone has access to.
Its not even about education, i know of a religion whereby by its followers believe that one should not take any form of medicine to cure a disease they are suffering from(even if its life threatening) but instead one should just stay at home and pray to god and wait to get cured.  Sad
Activity: 434
Merit: 250

legendary
Activity: 1568
Merit: 1001
Activity: 798
Merit: 1000
A kid in Somalia nearly dies of measles because his mother believed an old wives' tale about keeping him inside and away from the doctor for a week. Another woman defied her obviously ignorant husband to get her kid treatment. Full story here. http://news.yahoo.com/somalia-wives-tale-spreads-measles-142012912.html
Pages:
Jump to: