Pages:
Author

Topic: Yet another bitcoin website dies a preventable death - page 2. (Read 1890 times)

Activity: 588
Merit: 500
Oh man, they have a right to be panicking.
Strange that they say it happened last night but no ones been mentioning it here.

I don't think it's a very large website or I would have seen it here or on reddit, and I didn't. But I figure if anyone does know what it was, it would be here.
legendary
Activity: 1862
Merit: 1011
Reverse engineer from time to time
Strange that they say it happened last night but no ones been mentioning it here.
It means the operator put up a fake message saying something along the lines of "maintenance". Or a scheduled downtime. Looks like he was a bit more straightforward than I thought.
Activity: 112
Merit: 10
How did you find this?

I've been on Stack Overflow for years...
legendary
Activity: 1862
Merit: 1011
Reverse engineer from time to time
How did you find this?
For the love of gawd...

http://serverfault.com/q/622020/126632

The website is fairly large, deals with Bitcoin, there's thousands of dollars in account balances possibly lost, and I'm panicking. ... I do not have a recent backup.

Note to developers: The fact that you can install Ubuntu successfully and use things like Docker, Heroku and AWS does not make you competent at operations.

Please, please, if you're going to start anything that involves Bitcoin, or other people's money in general, be sure you have a competent system administrator looking after things and making sure there are no business-killing mistakes in the environment, like lack of working backups, using Ubuntu as a server, systems not being properly secured, etc.

P.S. I'd love to know which website this was, as I didn't see any news about a well-known site being down after a brief look in the usual places.
Pages:
Jump to: