Pages:
Author

Topic: Yet another chainsize post... Maybe - page 2. (Read 277 times)

legendary
Activity: 4116
Merit: 7849
'The right to privacy matters'
July 20, 2020, 12:50:39 PM
Okay eth or any chain other then Btc does not belong here.

To deal with chainsize of Btc there is pruning DaveF has talked about it here and there.

I have done testing of chain downloads the last week.

I built a new pc to test times of full size downloads.

My limitations are I have a 200mbps internet connection.

I can download the fullsized btc block chain in four to five hours.

the speeds the download does range from 120mbps  to 168 mbps.

The doge chain never goes past 55mbps on a 100 mbps switch.
and never better then 110 mbps on direct router connection.

I only tested btc and doge as my nvme ssd is 1tb in size.

Pruning the btc chain does speed synching since the data loaded is less.

I estimate the btc blockchain to grow to 1tb in size by 2026-2028 that would be three times its current size.

I think that a two tiered blockchain could be useful.

but you will still need a fullcopy.

I suppose you could do one now on a nvme ssd. then clone to a large hdd. just let it run in the background. on a pc.
legendary
Activity: 2310
Merit: 1047
July 20, 2020, 09:08:08 AM
Hey everyone, hope this is the right place to post this, feel free to move it to right place if i'm wrong, Mod.

Thru the years this is my second, maybe third thread with my worries regarding chainsize, had this idea thru the years few times but I never remembered it for long enough.

Basicaly after 10 years or even less in cases as ethereum the chain can get to almost problematic sizes, I read and hoped we will eventually get to a better compression/decompression method, which is possible but would make it way more resource consuming to have a node, which isn't really an option.

Well, after 10 years, we could take a snapshot of current balances and most important info and have it in the chain, yet everything that's is considered "old info" would go into the heavily compressed old chain.
I'm proposing a way where we can have fast access to information since it everything will be light, now if you requiere something from the "old chain" You'd have to spend a bit of processing power to decompress the old one, In any case it should be made in such way only in extraordinary ocasions one would need to do that.

Simplified, old data gets super-compressed and light to have, new data just as now yet both still be one chain.

I think main point was never lose old data no matter how insignificant it is, and we could achieve that this way.

I'm a noob I has no idea if any of this would be factible but I would like my ideas to be useful.
Pages:
Jump to: