Pages:
Author

Topic: Yet another possible solution for the blocksize debate. - page 2. (Read 957 times)

legendary
Activity: 2436
Merit: 1561
I've found the whole discussion and debate really interesting, and there are a lot of things that I've learnt over the last few days. One of these is that many blocks are submitted before they are full. So instead of increasing the capacity of blocks, why not ensure that the capacity is utilised more efficiently. A minimum size for new blocks could reduce the current block problem, and leave the blockchain existing in its current form. If the restriction was only imposed on new blocks, then all existing blocks would remain valid.

I'm not sure if that's do-able. Even if, what would happen if there's a period of low activity (few txs made), not enough to fill the block to min size.
But most of all, at what size would you set the minimum? If you set this at 0.5mb them miners could just limit themselves to 0.55mb etc. So for that to work, you'd have to set the minimum pretty close to max block size and that's not feasible.
legendary
Activity: 1890
Merit: 1086
Ian Knowles - CIYAM Lead Developer
Having empty blocks (i.e. blocks that only reward the miner with the block reward) has been an issue in the past but as the reward dwindles and fees become more important there should be a natural incentive to include as many txs as possible (this is a key part of the original design).
legendary
Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965
Terminated.
You want to include another parameter called the minimum block size? What is this supposed to do actually, prevent mining of empty blocks? What happens when the mempool becomes empty and there are not enough transactions to include into the block to reach the minimum? I don't see how this complication would help.
legendary
Activity: 2282
Merit: 1023
I am not an expert in the topic, but what you have just typed does not make any sense to me. Obviously you (or maybe me) do not understand the problems and issues of blocksize...
legendary
Activity: 2800
Merit: 2472
https://JetCash.com
I've found the whole discussion and debate really interesting, and there are a lot of things that I've learnt over the last few days. One of these is that many blocks are submitted before they are full. So instead of increasing the capacity of blocks, why not ensure that the capacity is utilised more efficiently. A minimum size for new blocks could reduce the current block problem, and leave the blockchain existing in its current form. If the restriction was only imposed on new blocks, then all existing blocks would remain valid.
Pages:
Jump to: