Pages:
Author

Topic: Yet Another Video Card Comparison... - page 3. (Read 6510 times)

Activity: 546
Merit: 253
June 27, 2011, 11:14:07 AM
The scores on the Wiki tend to be very high. Eg I get 250Mhashes a sec on a 5830 OC'ed to 925mhz. You'd have to OC even higher to get 285 (the score for a 5830). For a stock 5830 it's ~220Mhashes or so.
Activity: 22
Merit: 0
June 27, 2011, 11:07:02 AM
Well I was averaging the scores, and people conveniently refrained from posting their wattage consumption... >.<

The 6990 is generally for those unconcerned with price/power consumption.  Even with an adjusted power consumption though, it's still a relatively good performance/power card (@ 450 watts, it would score a 1.69 MHash/j).  There's also the matter of availability, or lack thereof.
Activity: 252
Merit: 251
June 27, 2011, 10:41:10 AM
6990 is off by a wide margin.
For 760+ mhash/s you would have to OC past 900mhz so power consumption just for the card itself will be 450-500+ watts
Activity: 22
Merit: 0
June 27, 2011, 09:10:47 AM
***EDIT*** Revised chart to include "Stock"  vs "Tweaked" results and show the possible gains to be had.

http://img703.imageshack.us/img703/7876/vidcardbtccmpv2.jpg

Notes:

- The MHash performance and wattages are an average of the values from the Wiki site.  There were a few cards that I pulled wattage information from other sources due to not being listed on the Wiki.  So don't be too surprised if your card does not perform as well as these averages at stock speeds.

- I did not list cards that were no longer/not currently available with two exceptions: the 5830 and the 6990.  Nobody has the 5830 available for a "reasonable price," and nobody has the 6990 available.  I didn't include eBay for these availability considerations (although you can get used 5830's there for about what I listed it for), or the large number of Google/Pricewatch shopping vendors that I consider to have questionable reputability.  YMMV.

- I pulled the majority of prices from Newegg and Tiger Direct.  I did not include prices for tax, shipping, or rebates.

- The 5770 still has the best overall performance for a combination of power consumption and price.  Newegg has a 5770 for $89.99 after rebate, making it an even better deal.  Get 'em while they're still available... the rebate is only good till 6/30, and unlike most rebates, it's good for two cards per household.  The 6870 makes a solid second place choice, but I'd probably recommend spending extra on the 6950 if you're going multi GPU and looking to maximize your performance vs space.  Of course the 6970's and 5870's are still kicking around for the brute-force-money-is-no-object fellows... ^_^

***POST REVISION***

- I've taken the averages of the lowest two scores to use as the "Stock" performance numbers.  This can account for some variance between cards that come tweaked from the manufacturer as well as different settings/mining apps.

- I've taken the averages of the highest two scores to use as the "Tweaked" performance numbers, to be used as theoretical gains.

- With these revisions, the 6950 is painted in an even more favorable light when you factor in the possibility of unlocking dormant shaders and overclocking.  The 6970 also rises to the occasion with great performance vs power consumption if you don't mind the higher entry cost.  Older cards like the 5830/5870 offer great performance/watt but are unfortunately held back by pricing and availability of these discontinued parts.  Buying second hand is a mixed bag, as people generally want more than the cards are worth (eg, people asking for $200+ for 5830's).

Thoughts?
Pages:
Jump to: