Pages:
Author

Topic: You are offered $5,000 per bitcoin, but can never hold any again - page 2. (Read 3729 times)

legendary
Activity: 896
Merit: 1000
Okay, so I'm gonna drive at the heart of the question with the following interpretation: I have to convert all of my alts into Bitcoin and cash it all out at $5k a coin right now; additionally, I have to sell all of my mining equipment in BTC and cash that out at $5k a coin and never mine again.

I'd actually have to say yes. With that amount, I could sit work at my current job for 6 more years, let the markets do their thing, and I would hit my retirement goal. And really, that's what I'm striving for.
legendary
Activity: 2338
Merit: 1035
no

if i was offered 100k however
legendary
Activity: 1246
They will be worth $40,000 each one day, agreed?

No. It could reach that value one day but I wouldn't bet on it.
Activity: 169
Merit: 100
They will be worth $40,000 each one day, agreed?
legendary
Activity: 1246
I would choose to hodl ofcourse. I can't be sure whether bitcoin will ever surpass $5000 but for me participating in this grand experiment is more important than making some fiat gains. Even if I was offered $20,000 per coin I would tell them to fuck off and keep their dirty fiat.
legendary
Activity: 1106
Merit: 1005
interesting scenario. and maybe even possible: one day some government may decide you have to sell to them in that manner...

i felt tempted but decided to hodl.

if they would do such a thing, the logical thing to do is hold, at least if enough people hold.

If too few people hold, the government will corner the entire bitcoin market, and just continue with their money printing. And your 'great profit' will soon again be worthless.
legendary
Activity: 1064
Merit: 1001
Yes. If anyone would offer me $5000 per bitcoin, and would buy all I have, I'd do it today.

Heck, if is anyone that would offer me $3000 I'd also do it.
legendary
Activity: 3598
Merit: 5069
My answer is no.  I think $5K is a little short sighted, a speed bump on the way up to something much higher.  Plus I just want to own, use, and spend bitcoin.  It's a revolution of sorts but still in its infancy.

Also as far as altcoins go, some folks need to realize that their ultimate success (as something other than pure speculation) will depend heavily on how far bitcoin goes in terms of adoption/use.
Activity: 505
Merit: 500
Where does selling 5% of the stash fits better?
legendary
Activity: 980
Merit: 1004
Firstbits: Compromised. Thanks, Android!
At this point in time, do you accept the 5x gains or do you strongly believe that it will go higher and continue to hold regardless of this offer?

My answer (NO) actually relies little on the future valuation of bitcoins.

I simply believe their widespread use is inevitable. To never be able to hold (and so, realistically, to use) them again is going to be quite cumbersome at some point down the road. Plus I'd lose the ever-increasing benefits of doing so.

I'd need a lot more than $5000/btc to forgo that. At least enough to create and push another cryptocurrency (that I could hold) to prominence through sheer marketing power. Grin
Activity: 308
Merit: 251
Giga
$5000 per BTC is nothing, so no
legendary
Activity: 1176
Merit: 1010
Borsche
in 20 years the economy collapses or the USA becomes like Cyprus or Argentina with a highly declining dollar

20, really? Glad to see there's this much optimism still Smiley Maybe we'll manage another year or two after all.

As for the question, the only possible answer is "no", selling your free will to someone for any amount of money is ridiculous Smiley
legendary
Activity: 1428
Merit: 1001
Okey Dokey Lokey
I'm a miner so i kinda can't vote unless it would include me selling my hardware, Which i wouldn't so my vote is a no
legendary
Activity: 1596
Merit: 1029
Sine secretum non libertas
Unfortunately, I might do it.

At this rate I'm not sure if we will reach $5k by the end of this year

But it is likely that after this year, we will reach next year.  And a year later, we (most of us) will probably reach the year after that.
legendary
Activity: 1330
dafar consulting
Unfortunately, I might do it.

At this rate I'm not sure if we will reach $5k by the end of this year
Activity: 433
Merit: 250
I appreciate the replies and turn out on the votes.
Pretty interesting numbers regardless if it is "just for fun"

Either way, thanks for feedback whether this is stupid or not, like I said, just a friendly scenario and game of fun to help me pass time this early morning Smiley. I'm surprised a lot of you are awake or are from the other side of the world. It was 5 AM when I posted this.
legendary
Activity: 4032
Merit: 4562
You're never too old to think young.
This is stupid. Reality doesn't work like that. Bitcoin doesn't work like that.
+1
Activity: 512
ICO is evil
I really think it's a question of size.  If you have a small number of coins that don't make up a major portion of your net worth maybe you want to hold.  If however you have 8,000 BTC I mean, and you don't have many millions of other dollars worth of whatever - or forget the number, if selling what you have at $5,000 would make a major difference in your life financially then I would think you would do it.
legendary
Activity: 2128
Merit: 1074
Yes, in a heartbeat. The OP doesn't specify that other cryptos can't be held, only bitcoin.
So I'd sell and buy litecoin or even that stupid joke of dogecoin (in a large dip, of course).
Activity: 512
ICO is evil
This is stupid. Reality doesn't work like that.

Meh, just bored and trying to pass the morning Tongue

It is in the speculation forum and the guy clearly said it's just a hypothetical and time passing question. 
Pages:
Jump to: