Pages:
Author

Topic: You have 10 Bitcoin, how do you store them? - page 3. (Read 2221 times)

Activity: 112
Merit: 10
February 28, 2014, 03:41:18 PM
spend to me..like ask give me loan.i will build your BTC with trust each other.
legendary
Activity: 3472
Merit: 4794
February 28, 2014, 03:40:32 PM
Unfortunately that's the only thing I don't trust.... BitAddress.org I know they're probably are trusted but I wish there was a way to generate a private key offline without trusting a 3rd party... Sad

There is.  There are a few programs written in python in other threads here on bitcointalk.  If you can learn how to read a python program, you can verify that the software isn't doing anything bad, and then run that instead of BitAddress.org.

You can also run Bitcoin-Qt on an offline computer to generate the necessary information for a paper wallet.  If that program can't be trusted to have been properly reviewed by the public, then bitcoin itself doesn't have much value anyhow.
legendary
Activity: 1652
Merit: 1016
legendary
Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393
You lead and I'll watch you walk away.
February 28, 2014, 03:38:35 PM
Paper wallet it, in a zip lock baggy and stick in wife's vjayjay - someone would have to knock the cobwebs off of it to get to them

Wow dude! How's ur sex life? lol
legendary
Activity: 3472
Merit: 4794
February 28, 2014, 03:37:49 PM
Instead of asking how to secure my own Bitcoin.... say I sent you 10 Bitcoin now, how would you store them for a year?

I've currently got my Bitcoin in 4 paper wallets.... generated via BitAddress.org (Offline)

A year?  And I won't be spending them at all for the entire year?

Well then, if I won't be spending them, I don't need them on a computer at all.  Therefore, I'd definitely create a secure paper wallet.  I'd probably create 3 copies of the paper wallet and store it in 3 separate geographical locations (to protect from fire, flood, tornado, etc).

The hardest part would be providing a way for you to reclaim the bitcoins if I should die within the next year.  I'd have to make sure that someone else could access at least one fo the secure locations after my death (and would know to do so), but I'd have to make sure that they couldn't access the location while I'm alive.
Activity: 14
Merit: 0
February 28, 2014, 03:33:46 PM
Unfortunately that's the only thing I don't trust.... BitAddress.org I know they're probably are trusted but I wish there was a way to generate a private key offline without trusting a 3rd party... Sad
legendary
Activity: 1946
Merit: 1035
February 28, 2014, 03:31:37 PM
Up to 30 BTC I will store them in an encrypted wallet on my local machine (Multibit)

Over 30 BTC, I would use cold storage with a paper wallet, but I'm not trusting online paper wallet generators. Instead, I'm using Multibit as well, exporting private keys, printing them out and then wiping out the data from my wallet. When re-importing the private keys, I am using an OCR software after scanning the paper (so no QR code involved in my cookbook)

My best and trusted friend that I've known since high school is keeping a copy of keys in case of death of total destruction event.
Activity: 145
Merit: 100
February 28, 2014, 03:29:02 PM
Paper wallet it, in a zip lock baggy and stick in wife's vjayjay - someone would have to knock the cobwebs off of it to get to them
Activity: 14
Merit: 0
February 28, 2014, 03:27:23 PM
Instead of asking how to secure my own Bitcoin.... say I sent you 10 Bitcoin now, how would you store them for a year?

I've currently got my Bitcoin in 4 paper wallets.... generated via BitAddress.org (Offline)
Pages:
Jump to: