Pages:
Author

Topic: Your opinion: Is mining still profitable? - page 5. (Read 7044 times)

legendary
Activity: 4242
Merit: 8515
'The right to privacy matters'
September 21, 2014, 10:40:25 PM
Hi together,

since 2012 I am interested in bitcoin. My first tests with mining were when ASIC was not available (or in production), so I was mining with my Nvidia card.
I now got a chance to get some power for free, so I searched for the best GH/$ without import hassle. Currently the Antminer S1 is the cheapest device in this category.
OC'd I got them to work with 210 GH/s each, totaling 630 GH/s (stats from devices and btcguild).

With this mining-power, the ROI is somewhere in april - without power-costs! Calculating power-costs would make the whole thing unprofitable for me.

In my opinion, most people mine for cash - but how? Even with latest devices, the ROI is way to far. Are these people mining for a future price of 1,000$/btc?

For me, mining is fun, its the tech that makes me have fun with bitcoin. I don't need and I don't want to sell my bitcoins right away - maybe later.

I would love to see some responds with your opinions. Thanks.

I am in New Jersey 15 cents a kwatt.  It is just about impossible at 15 cents to make money.
I look for a deal here and there. It involves a lot of work and time.  It involves decent luck. I also have some miners at discounted power rates  2 antminer s-3's mining at 840gh and they pay only 2.4 cents a kwatt.  if I could run a lot at 2.4 cents  it would be easy.

This oct to march I will run  at least a kwatt in house even at 15 cents as they will give me heat and reduce my heating bill.

Activity: 700
Merit: 504
Run a Bitcoin node.
September 21, 2014, 08:46:16 PM
Why are people still mining? Some ideas...
1) To support the Bitcoin network (for people that believe in the concept over and above any mining income).
2) Speculative mining, in the hope that BTC to fiat value rises significantly in future.
3) Existing mining rigs that don't yet make sense to switch off.
4) Heating. (Parts of the Southern Hemisphere are still pretty cold right now)
Activity: 266
Merit: 250
September 21, 2014, 06:14:59 PM
The retail prices of miners makes it so it will generally be unprofitable for people buying miners "retail" as the prices are generally too high. You will generally need to invest a lot into miners (being able to command a large discount from miner manufacturers) in order to mine profitably.
Activity: 7
Merit: 0
September 21, 2014, 04:49:13 PM
Hi together,

since 2012 I am interested in bitcoin. My first tests with mining were when ASIC was not available (or in production), so I was mining with my Nvidia card.
I now got a chance to get some power for free, so I searched for the best GH/$ without import hassle. Currently the Antminer S1 is the cheapest device in this category.
OC'd I got them to work with 210 GH/s each, totaling 630 GH/s (stats from devices and btcguild).

With this mining-power, the ROI is somewhere in april - without power-costs! Calculating power-costs would make the whole thing unprofitable for me.

In my opinion, most people mine for cash - but how? Even with latest devices, the ROI is way to far. Are these people mining for a future price of 1,000$/btc?

For me, mining is fun, its the tech that makes me have fun with bitcoin. I don't need and I don't want to sell my bitcoins right away - maybe later.

I would love to see some responds with your opinions. Thanks.
Pages:
Jump to: