Activity: 1008
Merit: 1021
Democracy is the original 51% attack
January 05, 2012, 09:19:34 PM

BTC just hit $7 ...   Roll Eyes

What's going to be the undoing of bitcoin is not goverments,
not technical issues, not hackers, but simple lack of adoption
because of exchange rate volatility caused by people who can't
spot a zero-sum game when they see one. Sad.

LOL Bitcoin can't get a break. When it rises in price "hording" will destroy it. When it falls, "it's dying".

People think they can have a world-changing technology AND have it be calm and stable and predictable in its early years? Oil and water.

Bitcoin is more resilient that people think. Volatility wont' hurt it. It's okay to realize that Bitcoin might actually work and change the world.
legendary
Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005
January 05, 2012, 09:18:25 PM
I do spot a zero sum game, but I think you're overlooking one thing: the real value of Bitcoin itself.  Something has to offset that, and that's where the real gain comes from.  A technology was created out of nothing but ingenuity.

A zero sum is all the winners minus all the losers.  But everyone is "winning" something of real value: a revolutionary technology, a way to bank without banks.

Imagine if we called Apple a zero-sum game: the value of all of the iMacs and iPhones, minus the price people paid for them, equals zero.  It ignores the fact that iMacs and iPhones are intrinsically useful.

I didn't mean to imply that bitcoin had no value, far from it.

I meant to say that anyone who has a "trading strategy" is a damn fool.

In the end (when this new bubble explodes), lots of money will have
changed hands, a few lucky guys will have made a nice chunk, the
exchange will have profited greatly (bookies always do) and the vast
majority of the dumbasses who think they can "beat the market" will
have gotten shafted.

What I was trying to say is that I don't care what the BTC/USD exchange
rate is, as long as it remains either stable, or at the very least, predictable:
my bet is that over the last 6 months, the exchange rate stability around $2
has done as much if not more for bitcoin's actual acceptance than all the combined
excitement of the first half of 2011.
It really doesn't matter what you care about.  The market doesn't care.  Traders don't care.  Lament all you want, but it won't change anything, and it won't help stabilize the price no matter how much you want it.
Activity: 686
Merit: 500
Shame on everything; regret nothing.
January 05, 2012, 09:17:35 PM

In the end (when this new bubble explodes), lots of money will have
changed hands, a few lucky guys will have made a nice chunk, the
exchange will have profited greatly (bookies always do) and the vast
majority of the dumbasses who think they can "beat the market" will
have gotten shafted.

So which are you going to be?  Choose now and choose wisely.  If you don't, your choice will be made for you.
legendary
Activity: 1246
Merit: 1076
January 05, 2012, 09:17:13 PM
I believe this is a bubble. I have believed this is a bubble. I have always believed there will be another bubble. But just because its value is a bubble does not mean it is not useful. Many internet stocks crashed big-time back then in the 2000-2003 bubble-popping crisis. Some of these drive the backend of your everyday applications today.

Stability is not as important as you make it seem. Nobody would argue gold is stable, for example. That does not mean gold traders are damn fools.
vip
Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136
The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)
January 05, 2012, 08:58:15 PM
I do spot a zero sum game, but I think you're overlooking one thing: the real value of Bitcoin itself.  Something has to offset that, and that's where the real gain comes from.  A technology was created out of nothing but ingenuity.

A zero sum is all the winners minus all the losers.  But everyone is "winning" something of real value: a revolutionary technology, a way to bank without banks.

Imagine if we called Apple a zero-sum game: the value of all of the iMacs and iPhones, minus the price people paid for them, equals zero.  It ignores the fact that iMacs and iPhones are intrinsically useful.
legendary
Activity: 2408
Merit: 1009
Legen -wait for it- dary
January 05, 2012, 08:55:27 PM
I can spot a zero-sum game! This is one.
My sum keeps growing. So, I'm alright with that.
Activity: 350
Merit: 250
January 05, 2012, 08:52:44 PM
Don't hate the player. Hate the game.

The way to stable price is having a bunch more gamblers gambling and placing bets against each other.

Bitcoin by nature not being backed by anything is what's causing such volatility during it's adoption phase while bitcoins are being released.

There is no way to find the correct worth of bitcoin without people trading and speculating on it's value at any given time.
vip
Activity: 72
Merit: 10
January 05, 2012, 08:47:05 PM
z
Pages:
Jump to: